Dream scenarios for 2018 Olympics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dream scenarios for 2018 Olympics

musicfan80

Medalist
I can't imagine that if Yuna wants to skate, the Korean Federation would say no. However, with her voice, they might ask her to sing the Korean Anthem at the start of the games. We haven't had the Games in the US since 2002 and I don't remember them asking Kristi or Brian Boitano to perform there. Of course, I could be wrong.

The BIG difference is that Yuna Kim is insanely legendary in South Korea. Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, as well as the likes of Scott Hamilton, are just people that many Americans know won an Olympic Gold Medal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Something I hope for, though I know it will be an enormously unpopular opinion:

Yuna Kim does not skate at all - no opening/closing ceremony, no special gala invite, nothing. She stays well clear of the figure skating and the poor Korean skaters get to shine with their own light on Olympic ice and not under the pressure of hers.

wow.. that's so harsh... yuna is a huge role model for the young korean skaters and I am sure that it is her successes that led the way to the explosion of the sport in korea. i am also sure that the skaters who will be at the game would themselves be thrilled if yuna was giving them her support by attending. you are entitled to your opinion of course, but that one shocked me.... and i am not even a yuna fan.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
dream scenario ;)

well... i am with daniel here.... i'd like a canadian sweep haha

but here in detail..

MEN
Patrick skates two clean programs and leaves the games proud and happy... oh bonus... he wins ;) the difference, his gorgeous new quad flip....
Shoma = silver
Nathan = bronze

WOMEN
Kaetlyn Osmond wins gold
Gabby Daleman wins silver
Wakababy wins bronze

This more a pro-Canadian lady dream than an anti other nation dream. I like powerful and big skating and those 3 are wonderful athletes with gigantic jumps.

DANCE
Virtue and Moir... i really want them to win Gold.
for the rest, i am open to seeing the programs and i hope the team with best programs and best execution will win.
I would LOVE for weapo to get on the podium, especially since they have revealed their FD music and I AM THRILLED with their choice.
I love 5 other teams : P/C, the Shibs, H/D, C/L and G/P.... so I hope the podium will be completed by one of these teams

Pairs
This one is tough because the field is extremely tight and it will depend on so many factors.

Duhamel/Radford : the more hate they get on forums, the more I love them.... :)
Sui/Han
Yiu-Zhao or James-Cipres

Yes... I left out very popular teams... just not my cup of tea.

Finally ... Team event

Canada
USA
Italy creates a huge surprise thanks to Righini stepping up his game (kostner, the two dance and two pair teams contribute as well)... Everyone medals and is happy.

;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
wow.. that's so harsh... yuna is a huge role model for the young korean skaters and I am sure that it is her successes that led the way to the explosion of the sport in korea. i am also sure that the skaters who will be at the game would themselves be thrilled if yuna was giving their support by attending. you are entitled to your opinion of course, but that one shocked me.... and i am not even a yuna fan.

You are absolutely right. It would not just be only be an unpopular opinion but clearly an ugly and vindictive one.

Luckily what she does and does not is not up to you (or anyone).

:rolleye: So clearly you two think it is okay to crush every skater with so much as a modicum of talent in South Korea with the "next Yuna Kim" tag? You want every skater in South Korea to be completely overlooked as certain groups spend the whole time talking about Yuna and only Yuna?

Let the young Korean skaters shine with their own light - undimmed and uncrushed by the overbearing weight of expectation to be someone they can never be.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I sometimes dream that I am suddenly transferred into another body. The body of a person who is just about to start their Olympic program. The body swap happens just before the starting pose. I cannot skate for the life of me and I embarass my body swapped double on the greatest stage of all! It's more of a nightmare to be honest.

Oh...this wasn't what was asked? So then....

Dance - don't really have a favourite, but I guess V/M. If they won't get Gold it's not the end of the World, as they've won everything already.
Pairs - Gold for S/M. S/H and D/R on the podium.
Ladies - Anna P. - Gold, the silver and bronze depends on who gets sent from the japanese Ladies. Dream scenario - Marin for Silver, Satoko - bronze. Or switched. Or with Wakaba, or Mai, or even Kaori. I wish them all the best. Oh and Elena for bronze. But as I don't believe Anna and Lena get to go, idk.
Men - Shoma or Yuzuru for Gold, leaning towards Shoma since Yuzuru has Gold. As I think Yuzuru will take anything BUT gold as defeat I don't want him on the podium if he doesn't get gold, but someone who would be thrilled to be on the podium at all. So mmmh...perhaps Gold - Shoma, Silver - Javier, Bronze - Boyang/Nathan/Newbie/Patrick/Mikhail/Jason/whoever would be the happiest.
Or alternatively Gold - Yuzuru, Silver - Shoma, Bronze - Javier

nekun

On the Ice
'Dream' is the key right?

Hanyu and Mai Mihara win gold
Nathan Chen medal
Junhwan Cha get an Olympic spot and finish in the top 5

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
You want every skater in South Korea to be completely overlooked as certain groups spend the whole time talking about Yuna and only Yuna?

This is a fair point IMO. It doesn't mean that anything Yuna does is wrong (as I think some poeple understood the original post), but that the way the media treats everyone involved is far from ideal. I'd love for Yuna to be there and take in that legacy she created, but I'd also love for all the other talented South Korean skaters to get their moment to shine. It's going to be difficult to get a scenario where both is possible, and it isn't the fault of any of the skaters involved. (And I'm not a Yuna fan and don't know her as well as those who are, but to be honest I always had the impression that paving the way for the younger generation and allowing them the chances to train, skate, get recognition, do what they love... was a very big motivation and goal for her. More so than getting herself into the spotlight. So honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she was trying to weight into how much presence she can have without taking away from the young active skaters herself. And it's not as if letting the young skaters shine wasn't showing off her legacy dircetly as well - for a good part they are her legacy.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is it would be lovely to see Yuna there in some capacity and see her proud and happy about all these achievements. And I also want to see the young skaters getting their due and recognition for their talent and hard work (and especially Dabin who managed to get South Korea their 2nd ladies spot and the baby trifecta of Eunsoo, Yelim and Young - despite being too young to compete - having some form of showing to show to the world how much talent South Korea has :love: ). I hope we can get both.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Every athlete has to take their own spot under the sun! It is provided for them in the sense that they get center ice, alone, for the duration of their programs... Whether Yuna skates at the gala or not, she won't be on the ice during the competitions.... so it's up to the Korean athletes to make a name for themselves and they have all the potential to do so. Having a legend of the sport at home games is inspirational for these younger athletes, not the opposite. What will happen on the ice is what will be remembered...

karne it's like saying to Thorpe he is no longer allowed to attend any swimming competition not to overshadow the Australian youth... Come on... think about it... Yuna has inspired that new generation....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The BIG difference is that Yuna Kim is insanely legendary in South Korea. Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, as well as the likes of Scott Hamilton, are just people that many Americans know won an Olympic Gold Medal.

If the Winter Olympics ever returned to the US, I am pretty sure that Michelle Kwan would be part of the ceremonies, gold or no gold. (Boitano and Hamilton, by the way, are pretty legendary, but men's skating has never generated the same excitement in the US as the ladies. I think Kristi has benefited from her time on DWTS, but for some reason had never previously captured the public's imagination).

Eclair

Medalist
Something I hope for, though I know it will be an enormously unpopular opinion:

Yuna Kim does not skate at all - no opening/closing ceremony, no special gala invite, nothing. She stays well clear of the figure skating and the poor Korean skaters get to shine with their own light on Olympic ice and not under the pressure of hers.

And every time I start to like Broklee Han's skating, I just have to think of you, karne and how many times you have been right out harsh and unsympathetic with my favorites and any affection I'd have had for her will just puff away immediately.

Wishing someone not to skate just because you don't like her is a new low, even for you ... Yuna skating the opening/ closing ceremony or at the gala has nothing to do with outshining any skater. It's like saying, I hope Michelle won't skate at the gala, so that poor Karen get to shine with her own light. What does the one has to do with the other? If Karen gets to go to the Olympics, she'll skate there no matter whether Michelle or anyone else skates at the gala or not.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i dont think anyone's spotlight was stolen when Yuna handed flowers to medalists at 4CC this year, its the opposite, they all looked happy and said it was great to meet her :confused:

mrrice

Record Breaker
i dont think anyone's spotlight was stolen when Yuna handed flowers to medalists at 4CC this year, its the opposite, they all looked happy and said it was great to meet her :confused:

This is an excellent point! I would imagine that Yuna's success and popularity are responsible for growing the sport in Korea. Her popularity brings sponsors, and sponsors bring money. New rinks open as the sport grows in interest and as a World and Olympic Champion, I don't think there's a skater on the planet who wouldn't want to meet the legendary Yuna Kim. Peggy Fleming won in the 60's but, I still think the skaters would be honored if she were selected to hand out the medals. It's about history and honoring a pioneer in the sport. In Korea, Yuna was a pioneer.

noskates

Record Breaker
I can't imagine the Olympics without Yuna contributing somewhere - if nothing more than skating in the opening ceremonies or closing ceremonies. She's a celebrity. Why would you want her to hide somewhere like she never existed?

I would LOVE for Patrick Chan to win gold. I would love to see him skate 2 beautifully clean programs. I know part of his LP is Hallelujah and I can't imagine a better person to skate to that hauntingly beautiful music - especially the Jeff Buckley version. And I've always been very fond of Javi and his skating. He's exciting to watch and is a well-rounded skater. Then it's a tie between Shoma and Nathan (who I hope can stay healthy)

And my very unpopular opinion - I want to see Gracie on the platform!!! I expect Medvedeva will sweep! Not a Pogo fan.

As for dance - probably Papadakis and Cizeron. They are the most original dancers and they've earned it. Really didn't want V&M to come back! They've had their time in the sun.

Pairs - woo boy! That's a tough one. Not enamored with the French team, love the Germans, but I'm guessing the Chinese in some order. Pairs is a really strong field this year. I don't think anyone from the US has a chance to medal

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna will be there. She is one of the reasons S. Korea got the Winter Olympics. My dream scenario for the ladies is for Mirai to be there and for her to do her triple axel. Where that lands her doesn't really matter to me. For the men, it's Nathan Chen on the podium. For pairs, gold to Sui and Han. For dance, the Shibutanis judged fairly (won't happen; the best they can hope for is bronze).

narcissa

Record Breaker
I can't imagine the Olympics without Yuna contributing somewhere - if nothing more than skating in the opening ceremonies or closing ceremonies. She's a celebrity. Why would you want her to hide somewhere like she never existed?

And considering she was integral in getting the Winter Olympics to Pyeongchang in the first place, and in publicizing and organizing the event.

:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Like, puh-leaz. Do you think if Cha Jun Hwan or a Korean lady upsets the field and gets a medal that they would be outshined by Yuna skating in the closing gala. Or even if they skate well and show signs of stardom and potential at a home Olympics. They'd get more attention than they've ever gotten in their lives. And actually skating next to Yuna at the gala may even help.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
wow.. that's so harsh... yuna is a huge role model for the young korean skaters and I am sure that it is her successes that led the way to the explosion of the sport in korea. i am also sure that the skaters who will be at the game would themselves be thrilled if yuna was giving them her support by attending. you are entitled to your opinion of course, but that one shocked me.... and i am not even a yuna fan.

Are you actually shocked though? This is the same person who called Yuna arrogant because she dared to compete at 2011 Worlds without competing at her Nationals even though it was stipulated in her federation's rules that a World medalist gets an automatic bye to the following World championships. Not a fan of Yuna either, but @karne's assessment of her are usually colored with something along the lines of vindictiveness for whatever reason.

mrrice

Record Breaker
it's like saying to Thorpe he is no longer allowed to attend any swimming competition not to overshadow the Australian youth... Come on... think about it... Yuna has inspired that new generation....

I agree. Karne knows how much I love Patrick Rafter......He's dreamy to look at and as sweet as candy. I wouldn't care if he handed out the Australian Open Trophy for rest of his life. He's earned it. Rod Laver is a living legend and even has a stadium named after him. I wouldn't ever want to see his legacy fade away. Yuna's victories did not come in a can. She had to leave her country to get the best coaching and as great as Canada is ( I Love It ) it's not Yuna's home. Yuna made great sacrifices to make her dreams come true and that's something that we ALL can relate to.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I am quite new to skating, so I was never there for Yuna's reign. I've watched a lot of old competitions, but never feel like I know her a little, like I do with some other retired skaters. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to seeing Yuna playing a role at the Olympics in her home country. Just looking at her Instagram, it seems she's very passionate about it and I hope she'll give great encouragement to her fellow skaters.

It would also be nice to see her and Carolina Kostner together.

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
My dream: Plushenko comes back and dominates the field with 5T+4T+3Lo combo like a boss :rock: