Drobiazko on animal rights in Russia | Golden Skate

Drobiazko on animal rights in Russia

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/40280.html

Margarita Drobiazko: “I can’t just stand by as animals go homeless”

Few fans of the “Ice Age” participant Margarita Drobiazko know of her great love for animals; she keeps several cats and dogs in her home in a Moscow suburb, besides the many unfortunate lost ones she regularly picks up with her husband Povilas Vanagas to nurse back to help and find a good home. Margarita shared with us her thoughts on the problem of the homeless animals and the fate of charities in Russia.

Margarita, you’re known not just as a great skater, but also as a great animal lover. Please, tell us about your pet.

I have many. Unfortunately, since I constantly pick up animals on the street, they often have health problems, and we’ve had some tragic cases. On the one hand, animals should bring joy, but on the other hand I’ve had for some time the urge to leave Russia because of the abundance of the abandoned, sick, and miserable animals. I can’t just stand by; my heart seems to break into pieces.
When I see a box of puppies on the curb of a highway where they can be overrun by a trailer at any time, I have no choice but to take them home. I can’t reconcile myself to the idea that a few living beings will just be crushed to death. Of course, they’re not children, but they, too, are small beings that feel pain and fear, and who are cold and hungry.

With all my love for Russia, with the multitude of self-sacrificing heroes, there is a whole layer of people who know no empathy, who just worry about themselves and counting their neighbor’s money. The count on others’ kindness – “May be someone will pick them up”. Pick up where?!

Right now, I always have four cats and two dogs living with me, but I also feed neighboring cats. People living in good suburban homes get cats and think they should protect the house from mice and rats, but can feed on whatever they want, perhaps on those mice. The cat should also sleep on the street. However, it’s considered that such people took an animal in and are caring for him. In the end, those cats enter my home through a special little door, eat along with my cats, and procreate here. Recently, a neighboring cat had three kittens. We attended the birth, and then sterilized the animals. Luckily, our fans adopted one kitten, but two still remain. Therefore, I currently have seven cats and two dogs.
It’s great that Povilas and I have so many fans who often adopt the animals, so we don’t even have to worry about them. Nonetheless, there are still way too many homeless cats and dogs around us.

What do you get out of your time with the animals?
Animals are a well of good mood. First of all, they relieve stress. Cats relax you, while dogs pass on their optimism. Dogs radiate great love, as the man for them is the center of the Universe. A dog can only become mad if it was beaten or otherwise maltreated. Cats, meanwhile, are like vacuums sucking in all negativity. My cat is also a great masseuse, as she walks on me, pawing my back…

I don’t like coming home to an empty house. With lots of animals, though, I feel like I’m in heaven.

Why do Western “stars” massively organize funds in their names, making great donations to causes?
In the West, some “stars” do it because their heart tells them to, while others do it because that’s a bon ton. Over there, it’s just indecent to be very popular, earn millions and not use any of it for public good.

In the future, I also hope to set up a charitable foundation to care for animals, as in our country they get even less attention than children and the elderly. When Povilas and I do ice shows in Lithuania, we give a portion of the tickets to orphanages and nursing homes. However, it’s important not to just give money for good deeds, but also to involve others.

In America, almost everyone constantly gets forms in the mail that will say “If you can, give 5 dollars to help Uruguay!” More often than not, those forms do get filled out, and people fill in a sum they’re willing to give, and the aid starts flowing. That doesn’t take much time.

Many stores have boxes for donations for children or animals, and they’re always filled with dollar bills. In our country, such boxes are lucky to sport two or three bills… Aren’t we all Christians, don’t we know that it will all be rewarded? Of course, Russia has people like Chulpan Khamatova, but they are the exception.

Have you ever participated in charities initiatives to help animals?
No, I’ve never had the chance, but I’d love to. It’s something I really want to do.

In your opinion, what’s the right way of raising kids? What do you need to do to make the child understand that the animals nearby need our help?
The problem is that indifference to animals traumatizes kids. I recall when I was little how painful it was for me to see an abandoned kitten. I know how many other children are bothered by this. Our indifference breeds cruelty, “So they’re sick, lame, and out on the street? So what?!”

Parents must teach kindness to children. It starts with caring for the younger siblings and even for parents, but also extends to animals. A person has to know from the start that there is something even smaller and weaker out there that needs care.

It really scares me that children have become more aggressive lately. During my childhood, even the bullies respected teachers, and no one dared talked back to them. Now, though, it’s become all too common to scare teachers with parents, police, or well-connected friends.

Do you think that such attitude to animals makes a person more likely to cause pain to other people?
Yes, it is likely. Perhaps, the only thing that will hold back such a person is fear of punishment, not moral values.

In America, if you accidentally hit a deer on the road, you must call animal services, because cruelty to animals leads to serious criminal charges. In Russia, who’ll care if you kill your dog? Thank God there’s now one less dog, we still have millions running around our streets!

What would you like to with the “New Ohta” readers and your Petersburg fans in the upcoming year?
I wish everyone a good anti-depressive mood, and I wish everyone to be kinder to each other. I think what we most lack now is kindness and understanding! We need the New Year to have a light snow to and to have the sun shining – then all people will feel good and happy.
Maria Vesnina

Published in the “New Ohta” newspaper #43 (444), Saint Petersburg