Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

russianbratz

Match Penalty
They will know exactly where her music came from and who the character is. An American figure skating audience will know. They will know at Nationals. They will know at Worlds. And a Skate Canada audience will know. I was in Kelowna last year, and no one had any difficulty identifying E&A's music. I can't speak to an audience at Cup of Russia or 4CC's. But GONE WITH THE WIND is about as recognizable a film soundtrack in North America as any human being could possibly select. It would certainly not be a stretch to proclaim Scarlett O'Hara as the most recognized character in film. Kids & teens might not recognize these yet, but North American skating audiences are much older and the members have had plenty of time to become acquainted with the most famous film of all time.

Personally I think Polina's GWTW program has the potential to be my favorite one thus far. But the bar is very, very low to achieve that honor.

Gone with the Wind is a very famous film, but it is not a popularly watched film among people under 40. It is over 75 years old at this point. I think you're overestimating peoples' knowledge of classic cinema. Anyone who's a film buff will watch Gone with the Wind, but not just your average person.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Gone with the Wind is a very famous film, but it is not a popularly watched film among people under 40. It is over 75 years old at this point. I think you're overestimating peoples' knowledge of classic cinema. Anyone who's a film buff will watch Gone with the Wind, but not just your average person.

Are you serious? No one of my friends is a film buff but they all know Gone with the Wind. Even if they haven't watch watch the whole movie, they precisely know who are Scarlett O'Hara or Rhett Butler. They all see Vivien Leigh in green dress and big hat. They are fully aware what's that movie about. They know the quotes.
Plus - there is a few judges under 40, isn't it?

Barb

Record Breaker

Agree, at least outside USA is not so known. About age, are you seen competitions in USA? usually the public is people above 40 yo. And they are usually prepared people, they not only know the film, they sure read the book too.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
You think figure skating fans are going to make sure they read Gone with the Wind because Polina Edmunds is skating a program to the film's music? Another way of putting it, is when I watched Mariah Bell skate to Titanic, I wasn't think if she was accurately portraying Rose. People don't all put stock into that theory of performance in the context of figure skating programs. The music is just a vehicle, and the skate is a dance---not a dramatic portrayal.

Barb

Record Breaker
You think figure skating fans are going to make sure they read Gone with the Wind because Polina Edmunds is skating a program to the film's music? Another way of putting it, is when I watched Mariah Bell skate to Titanic, I wasn't think if she was accurately portraying Rose. People don't all put stock into that theory of performance in the context of figure skating programs. The music is just a vehicle, and the skate is a dance---not a dramatic portrayal.

No, I am no saying they going to read the book because Polina, I think they sure read before (past) because is a classic book, they are not ignorant, they read. I know young people read twilight, the fault in the stars and those kind of silly books but in the USA at least the most of fans are people older than 40 yo.

andromache

Record Breaker
No, I am no saying they going to read the book because Polina, I think they sure read before (past) because is a classic book, they are not ignorant, they read. I know young people read twilight, the fault in the stars and those kind of silly books but in the USA at least the most of fans are people older than 40 yo.

Heyyyy now I read GWTW around ten years ago when I was 13! (Coincidentally, around the same time I read Twilight :biggrin:).

That said, that might just prove the argument that skating fans are more likely than the average person to have read GWTW.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyyyy now I read GWTW around ten years ago when I was 13! (Coincidentally, around the same time I read Twilight :biggrin:).

That said, that might just prove the argument that skating fans are more likely than the average person to have read GWTW.

Not me lol. I'm not much of a novel/classic book person. I'm more of a person who like to read medical guide/science books.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read GWTW when I was 12. At the time, I always had a book in in my hand, sometimes two. I've actually read that book at least 3 or 4 times over the years. It's one of the easiest to read books ever, and probably served as a model for most of the "romantic fiction" novels that flood the market today (which, BTW, I detest and never read).

LRK

Record Breaker
Yeah, probably read GWTW somewhere in my mid-teens - I think I started to read books in English when I was 15 or so, and I probably read it around then, or a year or so later. But then, to be fair, my reading tastes weren't "typical teen" ones anyway - I think girls my age were reading stuff like Virginia C Andrews around that time, if memory serves?

shine

Record Breaker
I agree with this. And not to mention that not everyone automatically associates the soundtrack with every movie they've ever watched. Sure, they might have watched GWTW the film, but it doesn't mean they will immediately recognize the music, especially since the music is not that distinctive or memorable IMO.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I agree with this. And not to mention that not everyone automatically associates the soundtrack with every movie they've ever watched. Sure, they might have watched GWTW the film, but it doesn't mean they will immediately recognize the music, especially since the music is not that distinctive or memorable IMO.

Oh man I can't disagree with this more--to the point I burst out laughing when I read it. There are some movies whose theme is so closely associated with its attendant movie that that association is going to be immediate for most people. Think Jaws. Betcha most people would immediately go Da Da. Da Da. Da Da. Da Da Da Da Da Da...Star Wars is like this. The Wizard of Oz. They're Iconic.

Now if she was skating to some other Max Steiner movie theme like say from Mildred Pierce or The Letter, I would say sure. There isn't that immediate association between music and movie. There are relatively few movies which have this Iconic relationship between theme music and character. But GWTW is definitely--most definitely--one of them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I really think this may be a matter of cultural background. (It's hard to know because we don't post our nationalities online, and one thing I love about the figure skating online community is its international aspect). But let me put it this way:

When I was watching the opening ceremonies in Sochi & Swan Lake came on during the performance, I thought Wow! I&K chose the right music. Yes, I knew Swan Lake was by Tchaikovsky. Yes, I knew it was one of the most used pieces of music in skating. Yes, I knew Swan Lake was one of the most famous ballets. But no, I didn't understand what a huge part of modern Russian culture it was. I mean, how old is Swan Lake? Who watches ballet? How old is that audience? Here, ballet just is not accessible to most people who don't live in the city & have at least $50.00 to pay for a ticket. (I suspect the ratio of students in my region, grades K-12, that have seen a ballet is about 1/100, and that ballet was probably the Nutcracker). But obviously, that didn't matter in Russia. In Russia, ballet is an integral part of the culture & Swan Lake is--I'm guessing--THE ballet. Whether you have seen the ballet or not.

In the U.S., film is an integral part of the culture. Gone With the Wind is the most famous film of all time. Scarlett O'Hara is the heroine of that film. (It costs about $2.00 to rent the movie and watch it). When a woman skates to Swan Lake, she is assumed to be either the white swan or the black swan. In Gone With the Wind in the U.S., a woman skating to Gone With the Wind is assumed to be Scarlett O'Hara.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
Even among the people who know Gone with the Wind though, figure skating isn't necessary about doing a literal interpretation of the story. This isn't theater. Ballet is a better comparison, and ballet doesn't really have strong narratives either. It is really broad archetypical stuff. So yeah this whole, "Polian could never be Scarlet!" stuff is just a little OTT if you ask me.

charmblade

Final Flight
I actually have no idea how many people of the typical US figure skating audience has seen GWTW or read the book, but I'll throw myself in there as someone who has done neither. And this comes from someone who reads all the time. All the books. But that one's never been on my radar. And I've never seen the movie (and I'm from the Southern US!), although I'm certainly familiar with some of the common lines/tropes from it. When I watched Polina's free skate I thought that one of the music cuts sounded familiar, but I definitely wouldn't have immediately associated it with GWTW. Granted, I'm probably younger than the typical figure skating audience (nearly 30), so take it with a grain of salt, but I just thought I'd throw it out there that there are definitely people who aren't as familiar with GWTW as everyone seems to assume that I should be.

shine

Record Breaker
Oh man I can't disagree with this more--to the point I burst out laughing when I read it. There are some movies whose theme is so closely associated with its attendant movie that that association is going to be immediate for most people. Think Jaws. Betcha most people would immediately go Da Da. Da Da. Da Da. Da Da Da Da Da Da...Star Wars is like this. The Wizard of Oz. They're Iconic.

Now if she was skating to some other Max Steiner movie theme like say from Mildred Pierce or The Letter, I would say sure. There isn't that immediate association between music and movie. There are relatively few movies which have this Iconic relationship between theme music and character. But GWTW is definitely--most definitely--one of them.
No matter how hard you laugh, you can only speak for yourself. I saw the movie years ago, and had no recollection of what the soundtrack sounded like.
Even among the people who know Gone with the Wind though, figure skating isn't necessary about doing a literal interpretation of the story. This isn't theater. Ballet is a better comparison, and ballet doesn't really have strong narratives either. It is really broad archetypical stuff. So yeah this whole, "Polian could never be Scarlet!" stuff is just a little OTT if you ask me.
Another point I agree with. I personally want her to drop the program, not because I don't "see her as Scarlett O'Hara" -- I could care less--but simply because I find the music boring and without room for imagination.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
GWTW has been used by many skaters. I can remember a ladies single skater, Victoria ??? skating to it 15 years ago. I just don't care for it's musicality or lack there of. For those who know the movie, all you see are Southern ladies in hoop skirts and Atlanta burning. For those who don't know it, it's just not that great of a piece of music. I think Gigi would have been a much better fit for Polina. It's a beautiful piece of music for a young, optimistic girl. Not feisty, cantankerous Scarlett!

Weathergal

Medalist
GWTW has been used by many skaters. I can remember a ladies single skater, Victoria ??? skating to it 15 years ago. I just don't care for it's musicality or lack there of. For those who know the movie, all you see are Southern ladies in hoop skirts and Atlanta burning. For those who don't know it, it's just not that great of a piece of music. I think Gigi would have been a much better fit for Polina. It's a beautiful piece of music for a young, optimistic girl. Not feisty, cantankerous Scarlett!

Victoria Volchova from Russia skated to it.

witcher

Match Penalty
If you ask me, either you didn't read the article, being the subject of the whole thread or you just don't attach importance what athlete has to say:

“My long program is to music from a wonderful Oscar Award winning movie where
I am expressing the main character of the story.
It’s a difficult piece because we have combined four different tempos of music, with emotions and different times of life as the main character grows.”

If you respect her, you have to acknowledge the fact:
Polina Edmunds wants to portray Scarlett O'Hara on the ice this season.

Last edited: