Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver

Thanks, the link is appreciated :yes: It will be interesting to see how she develops over the next two or so years.
There's a problem here. It's this year that the USFS needs Ashley to back up Kimmie. to get those 3 places in 2009. My first choice for the 2008 World Team is Kimmie; Flatt; Wagner.

I just don't see Emily winning over them, and I do enjoy Emily as well as Bebe

And for 2009, with Mirai and Caroline eligible for Seniors, I think it will take a whole revised analysis of who will make the Olys given the US has 3 places.

So Ashley must get on podium this year by my analysis. Whether she can maintain podium finish in 2009, requires a still more gutsy style to override the 2 lyricals coming into the race. She might do it, but as of now the fan trend is on the lyrical.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
There's a problem here. It's this year that the USFS needs Ashley to back up Kimmie. to get those 3 places in 2009. My first choice for the 2008 World Team is Kimmie; Flatt; Wagner.

I just don't see Emily winning over them, and I do enjoy Emily as well as Bebe

And for 2009, with Mirai and Caroline eligible for Seniors, I think it will take a whole revised analysis of who will make the Olys given the US has 3 places.

So Ashley must get on podium this year by my analysis. Whether she can maintain podium finish in 2009, requires a still more gutsy style to override the 2 lyricals coming into the race. She might do it, but as of now the fan trend is on the lyrical.

Joe

Again, Rachael Flatt can not do 2008 Worlds. She is too young by 21 days. She will be eligible for Worlds in 2009, along with Zhang and Nagasu.

goldenskates

Rinkside
I love Emily Hughe and her energy. But so far this season she's ovbiously fallen. I hope that she can get her act and her jumps together and be VERY prepared for nationals in January.

Her artistry is getting a bit better but she absolutely needs to get stronger jumps and work on not under rotating them.

I really like her personality a lot. She has pretty eyes as well which is very sexy.

decker

On the Ice
21 Days seems so nit-picky....................what a shame

The age cut-off is the age cut-off. As long as it is applied the same to one and all, there is nothing unfair about it. It doesn't matter if you are Rachel Flatt or Jane Doe. If it did, THAT would be unfair.

Susan

Kathleen

Rinkside
I guess you never can tell.......3 years away....that's a long time.

However, based on her performances this GP season so far, I'd say that it's not looking too good. She looked slow, and "heavy"....and I'm not referring to her weight.

Hey, she just started with the guys in Boston....maybe they just need some time to work some magic on her. ;)

goldenskates

Rinkside
That would be great if Mark Mitchell and Peter Johannson would be able to work some "magic" for her.

However, as much as I LOVE her (and want her to be US champion, and eclipse Kimmie Meissner) I fear that she doesn't have the arsenal of jumps to compete with say Joannie Rochette, who DOES have a arsenal of jumps and great combos/sequences. But Joannie doesn't have the confidence.

Hughes also is very heavy on her jumps and she is not as easy on the ice as say Sarah Hughes who was very light on the ice and pleasing to watch, for me that is.

I like Emily's energy but she needs to do something about the under-rotated jumps. I know that she's very muscular (NOT fat) but I think that she could some how figure how to work her body that she can rotate faster and perform some triple-triple combos or sequences.

I really hope that she can be able to focus for the 2008 US figure championships this January and hopefully make the World team. I really don't like Kimmie Meissner, BUT she's very reliable with her jumps, unlike Emily. However, her artistry is very bland to me, whereas Hughes' is interesting and innovative.

If it comes down to Kimmie and Ashley for the Worlds team 2008, I think Emily would probably be safer than Alyssa, and Bebe. Not that I don't think the two last mentioned couldn't win the US Nats but I don't think they could repeat such a good skate at another competition.

Then I would add Emily to the trio to bring in the necessary points for 2009.

Emily has had such excellent choreographed routines and she has skated them with sufficient elan but her problem is the telegraphing of toe pick jumps. She goes out of character completely before she tries the jumps, and given the otherwise good presentation, I believe the judges scrutinize this 'long awaited' jump for under rotations. It also kills the presentation. JMO.

Joe

goldenskates

Rinkside
Emily has had such excellent choreographed routines and she has skated them with sufficient elan but her problem is the telegraphing of toe pick jumps. She goes out of character completely before she tries the jumps, and given the otherwise good presentation, I believe the judges scrutinize this 'long awaited' jump for under rotations. It also kills the presentation. JMO.

Joe[/QUOTE]

I think you're right about the telegraphing and the fact that the PCS's are pretty low for her.

I thought that her PCS would be much better this year than last year but I guess not. Her moves that she does is very complicated but (as much as I like her) she doesn't have too many movements on the ice like Kimmie does (however, I believe that Kimmie's moves are tooooo easy and very juniorish). But I guess that more movements/turns, etc... that are very "simple" are better than less movements/turns that are more "complicated" but not as many.

And also the telegraphing does affect the scores, I understand but I believe that Emily has a good sense and feeling for the music.

Kimmie's movement's on the ice look more into the music than Emily's movements, but none of Kimmie's performances have affected me emotionally. I feel that she skates moderately well, but I feel that she doesn't really feel the music inside of her. I feel that her expressions are forced and unnaturally akward.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily's performances affect me emotionally, but sad to say, not in a positive way. :sheesh:

fairly4

Medalist
Emily can go, but she is going to have to skate consistent and skate like she wants it for the next two years. It will be on how bad Emily wants it and how bad the other skaters are willing to fight for it.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
There is no one that I had rather see succeed than Emily. I'll be raising the roof for her at St. Paul's Nationals. But, I guarantee that if she would shed 10 lbs (in the safe, correct way--alas, too late to do so before Nats) she would be a different--better--skater. Good luck to Emmie!!!!!!!!!

netnuts

Match Penalty
There is no one that I had rather see succeed than Emily. I'll be raising the roof for her at St. Paul's Nationals. But, I guarantee that if she would shed 10 lbs (in the safe, correct way--alas, too late to do so before Nats) she would be a different--better--skater. Good luck to Emmie!!!!!!!!!

20, not just 10. She has added another 10 this season on top of her already bulky frame (for figure skater)...

sillylionlove

Medalist
I can't believe we are talking about her weight. Granted she is not as smaller as some other skaters. However, I saw her in person at SA and I would in no way classify her as fat and I don't think that she needs to lose weight. But that's just my opinion.

feraina

Record Breaker
I can't believe we are talking about her weight. Granted she is not as smaller as some other skaters. However, I saw her in person at SA and I would in no way classify her as fat and I don't think that she needs to lose weight. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think anyone said she's fat. To me she also looks like she gained about 10 lbs this year. At the same time, she's getting more jumps under-rotated and her skating looks "heavier" than ever. Coincidence?

Every skater (athlete) has his/her optimal "fighting weight" -- we don't know whether she'd do even better than last couple of seasons if she were lighter than her weight then, but it does seem like having gained the extra 10 lbs. this year, she's doing worse. I don't think it's completely outrageous to suggest the possibility that she's perhaps over her "fighting weight."

goldenskates

Rinkside
20, not just 10. She has added another 10 this season on top of her already bulky frame (for figure skater)...

that's not very nice....=(.

But I think that she's a bit built like a body builder, she has a lot of muscle on her legs and I think that the muscle's weight (not fat) affects her jumps and skills.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is most telling is that she is no longer trying two flips and lutzes in her FS.

Here was her jump layout at Skate Canada:

3F
2Z+2T+2L< (not sure if the 2Z was intended)
3S
3S+2T
3T+2T
3T
2A

If Emily uses this jump layout at Nationals (even if the 3-jump combo starts with a 3Z) she will have no shot at the title, as Mirai, Caroline and Rachael can all beat 52.74 TES.