'Empress' Tuktamysheva changes it up for 2020-21 | Golden Skate

'Empress' Tuktamysheva changes it up for 2020-21

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elizaveta (Lisa) Tuktamysheva is one of the most popular Russian figure skaters and called “The Empress” for a reason. The 2015 World and European Champion shows longevity in a sport where teenagers dominate and always has something new in store. For this season, the skater from St. Petersburg has created a Japanese style free skate with well-known ballet choreographer Juri Smekalov online. She has brought back the Biellmann spin, is working on a new quad, and is about to release her own fashion brand “Empress Wear.”

More...

I'm looking forward to seeing her this season! I have no expectations whatsoever for any of the skaters this season - just hoping that they are able to be happy with what they put out in these trying times. I hope she doesn't re-injure her back!

What say you?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yeah....bring it Liza!! I wonder who on this forum will be the first to buy something from her collection??? :coffee:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Liza is amazing and she is a great example for the younger lady and girl skaters that longevity is possible in this unbelievably competitive sport in Russia.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the interview, it's very interesting to read!
I'm interested to see Liza's collection. At first I thought that it's extremely unlikely it would include anything for a girl as tall as me, but then, maybe these collections feature something like warm headbands, which could be my chance :biggrin:
Anyhow, I am super impressed that she's bringing back the Biellmann, and learning a new quad! Good luck to her with these.
Her programs are also very intriguing. I'm especially looking forward to Spartacus which will fit her like a glove IMO. Hoping to see a glorious red-black-gold costume in this program, befitting an empress :biggrin:

Why didn't she mention the Russian GP though? I thought she'd be invited for sure. Do skaters have some insider info that the public don't?

Resa

On the Ice
I would prefer her to not have a biellmann, just to avoid re-injuring her back :S

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
After this article, I'm excited to see what this season brings for Liza. I admire that she's taking a look at all of her elements, including her spins, to see where she can improve and maximize points. She's never going to have the most beautiful skating in the field, but it seems like she's taking this unusual season to try to become more well-rounded. I'm intrigued by her Spartacus program, and I hope she's able to get her quads stabilized. With the insanity of the Russian ladies' field, it's hard to predict who will last to 2022, but I do have a small pipe dream that Liza will finally manage to make the team.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Her nickname "Empress" is related to Genghis Khan's bloodline since Tokhtamysh Khan was his distant relative and ruler of the Golden Horde from 1380-1395.

Just in case you didn't know. :)

Arbitrary

Medalist
Her nickname "Empress" is related to Genghis Khan's bloodline since Tokhtamysh Khan was his distant relative and ruler of the Golden Horde from 1380-1395.

Just in case you didn't know. :)
Tuktamish was the khan (ruler, one of many) of Horde who seized and totally burned out Moscow in later 1380s, few years after the Kulikovo battle.
It took 90 more years for Russians to finish Mongolian rule over Miskovitz area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Tyranid

Final Flight
Tuktamish was the khan (ruler, one of many) of Horde who seized and totally burned out Moscow in later 1380s, few years after the Kulikovo battle.
It took 90 more years for Russians to finish Mongolian rule over Miskovitz area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yep. Good to know history. :thumbsup:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would prefer her to not have a biellmann, just to avoid re-injuring her back :S

Plus it makes watching all the women's spins so predictable, it's boring. Much more interesting to see something else. But, it's the tyranny of "the most points."