Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I dont see how exactly Eteri is bad in this situation.
Well, I did not hear this myself, but according to a person on social media, in an interview, Alina was crying about being without her mother through an injury and how much better she would feel having her around in those tough times, and saying how she’s only here with her grandma and she can only talk to her mother on the phone. According to the person, in that interview she was no older than 14.
Why would a child not be allowed to see her mother and only being able to talk on the phone is beyond me and at least suspicious. But nothing to see here, completely normal I guess... *Puzzled*

Scott512

Record Breaker
Hm, are you enforced by some contract to do this (like reporter in your example)? And if you do not - you loose your income/pay a fine/go to jail?

This is obviously wrong. If no one is interested in it (you included) - we won't have this thread, won't have so many comments praising and thanking Eteri under that interview. You may think it is awful and world be a better place without it (you are free to have your subjective opinion), but that statement ('no one needs') is objectively wrong.

Dunno. It's up to her, she is free to decide, nobody keeping her under the locked door.

I hope she won't do it and won't turn into a bland speaking official, that is so praised by many as a 'modern polite standard'.
She looks alive comparing to those modern day PR-approved talking heads.
No contract for me with golden skate. I am a free agent.

Yes Alina was not kept under a locked door and she was free to go and she went.

I don't really want to say much more about this issue or this interview I did not expect her to do this at this time right before nationals.

Scott512

Record Breaker
2nd part of your statement is just objectively wrong, they told about this issue many times.
1st part - is questionable. Whos methods are working for a girls over 18+ in Russia (other countries do not count because of different competition level)? We have only 1 example - Liza and it's hard to take her as a rule. And Mishin btw is not a nice guy too.

Actually, (with the exception of Liza) Eteri has 'oldest' skaters.
It's interesting that you say the 80 year old professor Mishin is not a nice guy. I've sort of heard the same thing but have no evidence other than didn't he help ruin the career of Alisa Lozko Alinas childhood best friend by keeping her from joining Eteris team?

Speaking of Alina we were very close to never knowing her. If she got bounced out of sambo 70 when she was like 13 and that nearly happened. who knows what would have happened to her. She certainly wouldn't have been Olympic champion and Evgenia would be.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2nd part of your statement is just objectively wrong, they told about this issue many times.
1st part - is questionable. Whos methods are working for a girls over 18+ in Russia (other countries do not count because of different competition level)? We have only 1 example - Liza and it's hard to take her as a rule. And Mishin btw is not a nice guy too.

Actually, (with the exception of Liza) Eteri has 'oldest' skaters.
Liza is my absolute favorite skater. I want Mr Mishin to be a good coach for her, I couldn’t care less about anything else. That they get along is a bonus, not the goal.

But, he does have the positive PR now because he is an elder statesman.

Maybe Eteri at 80 will be fully revered as well. Haha

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I dont see how exactly Eteri is bad in this situation.
Because telling a minor student they are being ruined by the presence of their own mother at home is a pretty extreme say about a 16-17 year old girl who has won Sambo every major title in juniors and seniors and hasn’t been living with her mother for several years.

I’ve had coaches who don’t want parents involved in training. Coaches who don’t let parents come to a practice, who say to us “your mother is wrong, that’s not how we play, let her her do job, and I will do mine.” No one cares if coaches say “let the coach coach”. But at some point, there is a line. That line is suggesting that a girl struggling with painful injuries who had won every title, who wanted to retire immediately after the Olympics but stuck it out just to get the world gold she choked on, who gave you nothing but media respect, was somehow no longer interested in sports because she suddenly has the presence of her mother there.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Because telling a minor student they are being ruined by the presence of their own mother at home is a pretty extreme say about a 16-17 year old girl who has won Sambo every major title in juniors and seniors and hasn’t been living with her mother for several years.

I’ve had coaches who don’t want parents involved in training. Coaches who don’t let parents come to a practice, who say to us “your mother is wrong, that’s not how we play, let her her do job, and I will do mine.” No one cares if coaches say “let the coach coach”. But at some point, there is a line. That line is suggesting that a girl struggling with painful injuries who had won every title, who wanted to retire immediately after the Olympics but stuck it out just to get the world gold she choked on, who gave you nothing but media respect, was somehow no longer interested in sports because she suddenly has the presence of her mother there.
Did that happen with Alina's mother before she won everything or after she won everything?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Is EG stirring the pot with this interview that did not need to happen to take the focus off her daughter and put it on her? There was absolutely no reason for this interview at this time and she's never done this before right before Nationals.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
This is complete lie. She doesn't "separate" anyone. She dont want Alina mom in her training because she mess with process, so instead Alina was with her grandmother. I dont see how this is "separate". Also i find it really funny how you try to ignore all those facts about Alina grandmother being with her all time in training.
And it is actually well known that Eteri prefer to have family members in training, as long as they dont try to meddle in it.
She literally admitted to having an agreement with alinas mother that she was not to even live near her daughter or even in the same city that is seperating a child from its parents. Yes she may have had her grandmother but i have no doubt that alina also wanted her mother near her, if i remember correctly she(alina) even admittedt that once.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Ok, do your parents come to your place of work? Do the parents of an U-17 football team go to training and tell the coaches how to coach?

That’s what I mean about Eteri getting blamed for innocuous things.

We all know what it takes to be trained by Eteri by now. So you can choose to go to her, or you can choose to go elsewhere. It’s not rocket science. Haha

That’s why we defend her.
But the parents of said football team dont get told i only train your underaged child if you move away and are not living near her let alone in the same town! Hoe you can see nothing wrong with this . When alina herself admitted that when she was injured she wanted her mother there (like any normal child would want) and from what eteri says her mother staying away was a condition for her tot train alina which means that in such a situation where alina eanted her mother to be with her , her mother could do nothing because it would have broken eteris condition for training her? And you seriously dont see anything wrong eith this?

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She literally admitted to having an agreement with alinas mother that she was not to even live near her daughter or even in the same city that is seperating a child from its parents. Yes she may have had her grandmother but i have no doubt that alina also wanted her mother near her, if i remember correctly she(alina) even admittedt that once.
There we are. There was an agreement in place. As in it was. 2 way street.

Be definition, there was not forcible separation.

The Alina family weighed the pros and cons and decided to do it Eteri’s way.

Nothing nefarious here.

Other people might not have taken that decision, and that’s fine. They did. Doesn’t make the family wrong or Eteri wrong.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the parents of said football team dont get told i only train your underaged child if you move away and are not living near her let alone in the same town! Hoe you can see nothing wrong with this . When alina herself admitted that when she was injured she wanted her mother there (like any normal child would want) and from what eteri says her mother staying away was a condition for her tot train alina which means that in such a situation where alina eanted her mother to be with her , her mother could do nothing because it would have broken eteris condition for training her? And you seriously dont see anything wrong eith this?
Eteri had her own conditions for her coaching you. Every coach is different.

Again, they could have refused but they didn’t. Alina turned out pretty well at the end of the day. Became the independent woman we see today.

Touch love is tough for a reason.

I actually needed that when I was younger looking back now.

We can go back and forth until eternity. Eteri is not for everyone, on or off the ice.

Everyone has their own values and codes and Eteri doesn’t tick some boxes for some people.

And she is so successful that there is a magnifying glass on her. But you need thick skin at that level.

But I’m not going to pretend to get outraged for the choices family members and skaters who aren’t related to me make. It’s between them and their coach.

And that’s not taking into account the fact that the skaters’ version of the story isn’t always the truth. It’s not just Eteri using the media for her benefit.

Bottom line, the parents don’t need to send their daughters to Eteri. That solves a lot of problems.

And if you castigate Eteri for not letting her see her mom, why don’t you castigate the parent that agreed to let her daughter go and didn’t take it upon herself to break the agreement. This works both ways I think.

Blaming Eteri is easy. But blaming a skaters parents (using the same criteria that’s applied to Eteri), doesn’t happen. Why?
Part of it is the attachment to the skater. Even Eteri’s biggest fans never called her perfect, but I’ve seen plenty of posts calling a skater perfect.

If you are a fan of a skater, it’s ok to criticize them too. The skater won’t stop talking to the fans.

Truth is the skaters use Eteri as a vehicle to win medals and get rich and famous. And when they think they don’t need her, they look elsewhere. And Eteri uses them to further her reputation and grow her school. It’s a 2 way mutually beneficial street. So I’m not accepting that only one side is wrong here.

Eteri sets the rules, the parents and skaters accept them or not. Then everyone has to live with the consequences of their decisions. It’s that simple.

And if Eteri one day becomes a liability, her bosses will replace her. It’s not that she had a job for life either.

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
And This Woman Is Doing It Again! Now she blames the whole generation!

- And those who come up to you during training and ask your permission to reskate their program over and over again - is it rather good? That they take the initiative themselves

- Yes. But now there are no such skaters. The last such were Alina and Zhenya. They (new skaters) have changed, they have changed...

In fact, the text translation, without intonations and smiles, does not convey the video version very well.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The major positive of Eteri on TV is that this has been the distraction until the SP and not the usual overreacting to the practices.

That usually follows this script: Trusova skates like gang busters and is declared champion, Anna falls all over the place and is declared DOA, then the competition begins and Anna is the one smiling.

Surprised the figure skating soap opera airing in Russia hasn’t stolen this storyline yet. Haha

Last edited:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
How funny Eteri makes fun of this endless stream of expert comments that we have every time something happens. For example, Alyona sneezes. "Zhulin spoke about Kostornaya's sneeze", "Bestemyanova considers Kostornaya's sneeze not accidental", "Listen, let's not exaggerate, sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze" - Averbukh tries to be diplomatic, "Everyone sneezes at Tutberidze's," Rodnina said, "Are you crazy?! Well, she sneezed, so what?", Tarasova cursed journalists on the phone. Well, you know - this kind of bs))

- Some kind of constant theatrical drama in the world of figure skating?
- All this is some kind of nonsense. When I read this - one commented, then someone else and again and again - I always want to say: "Aaaaand into the riiiing of the circus comes ... who this time?" Seriously
(the host of the show laughs soundlessly), you're already waiting - come on, who's next? Here is some journalist or some blogger and suddenly speaks out about the programs, choreographies (Eteri's snide intonations are untranslatable at this moment) You think at this moment - "Oh, come on? Even you are better at it?!" :laugh:

This - "into the ring of the circus comes" - our freak show called the "Russian figure skating beau monde" will not forgive her.

Last edited:

esteticlove

Final Flight
Agreement is the key word. :coffee:

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Eteri had her own conditions for her coaching you. Every coach is different.

Again, they could have refused but they didn’t. Alina turned out pretty well at the end of the day. Became the independent woman we see today.

Touch love is tough for a reason.

I actually needed that when I was younger looking back now.

We can go back and forth until eternity. Eteri is not for everyone, on or off the ice.

Everyone has their own values and codes and Eteri doesn’t tick some boxes for some people.

And she is so successful that there is a magnifying glass on her. But you need thick skin at that level.

But I’m not going to pretend to get outraged for the choices family members and skaters who aren’t related to me make. It’s between them and their coach.

And that’s not taking into account the fact that the skaters’ version of the story isn’t always the truth. It’s not just Eteri using the media for her benefit.

Bottom line, the parents don’t need to send their daughters to Eteri. That solves a lot of problems.

And if you castigate Eteri for not letting her see her mom, why don’t you castigate the parent that agreed to let her daughter go and didn’t take it upon herself to break the agreement. This works both ways I think.

Blaming Eteri is easy. But blaming a skaters parents (using the same criteria that’s applied to Eteri), doesn’t happen. Why?
Part of it is the attachment to the skater. Even Eteri’s biggest fans never called her perfect, but I’ve seen plenty of posts calling a skater perfect.

If you are a fan of a skater, it’s ok to criticize them too. The skater won’t stop talking to the fans.

Truth is the skaters use Eteri as a vehicle to win medals and get rich and famous. And when they think they don’t need her, they look elsewhere. And Eteri uses them to further her reputation and grow her school. It’s a 2 way mutually beneficial street. So I’m not accepting that only one side is wrong here.

Eteri sets the rules, the parents and skaters accept them or not. Then everyone has to live with the consequences of their decisions. It’s that simple.

And if Eteri one day becomes a liability, her bosses will replace her. It’s not that she had a job for life either.
Actually i also put the blame on the parents as well more than once as you might remember,

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, the most complete translation of the first part of the interview. Sorry for inadvertently repeating what has already been posted elsewhere. In any case, this text is more complete.
Don’t apologize, this is way better than anything out there in the English language.

If there was a hall of fame for translation, you would be in it. Doesn’t pay that well though. Haha

Joking aside, these labor or love translations make it so much easier for us non Russian speakers to enjoy these shows. And I know it’s not just me that believes that.