Euler aka half Loop jump | Golden Skate

Euler aka half Loop jump

pearly

Record Breaker
To me this is one extremely awkward an inelegant looking jump even at the highest level. I remember seeing one at the Olympics this year that I thought looked good.

Do you have any examples of a nice half Loop with a nice air position, tight arms and controlled free leg? Share the videos!

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Yes! Thank you for that question!
I'm a new-ish fan and the first time I saw an Euler I thought it was a weird mistake. I'd love to see some nice looking examples.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Personally, I hate those jump combos with a passion but Yuzuru Hanyu is the only one that manages to make them at least somewhat watchable for me.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Do you want to see a nice one in the middle of a three-jump combination? How about this one? Or as an isolated move of its own?

pearly

Record Breaker
Do you want to see a nice one in the middle of a three-jump combination? How about this one? Or as an isolated move of its own?

In a combination. But this one by Midori still isn't close to the really nice and clean looking ones we rarely see. I even saw one in the JGP, I'll have to review videos to find whose it was. It looked effortless, unlike most of them where either the free leg or the arms have an awkward angle.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I guess I'm the odd one out, but I don't mind Eulers at all. I love distance in jumps, so if a combo covers even more ice thanks to a half-loop, all the better as far as I am concerned.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I was a bit shocked when I first saw Boikova/Kozlovskii nail their 3T-1Lo-3S with such good synchronization last season at JGPF.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I first time saw Euler in Buturskaya performance when she won Worlds. I remember commentator saying something like 'it almost look she was stepping out but instead she converted it right into the next move and it was a combination, perfectly done'. I liked her move very much, while not so pleasant it was original and not common i thought :biggrin:

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I think Ashley Wagner had a nice, deliberate half loop in combination and so did Patrick Chan. Sasha Cohen as well from pre-IJS; I like her combos because it’s Sasha and because she does the salchow very quickly, without the long awkward glide on the inside edge you see from a lot of skaters— I think that’s half of why they look bad.

The other half, which you pointed out, is the open air position. Unfortunately that’s just a part of the jump; I don’t think I’ve ever seen a half loop with the arms pulled in tight, from any era. The half loop is a single jump and if you look at the fraction of a second it takes skaters to bring their arms in on doubles and triples, the half loop would already be landed. Especially since today it’s always done immediately out of the first jump as part of the three-jump combination.

Historically the kind of tight air position we see today didn’t become common until fairly late; if you go back and watch footage from the 1920s or 1930s when even doubles were uncommon, skaters didn’t bring in their arms much or at all, because it was pointless. It became more standard when 2As became common, and then with triples it was a must, but even then, if you see the top women of 1988 when multiple triples was becoming the standard, they still had more open air positions on their jumps then most skaters today.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Perfectly synchronized but an ugly jump. Stop the video at 1:28 and look at their position.

I think the point is in uniqueness and variety it brings. Some find tano or rippon better, some prefer common arms positions in the jump. Beauty is a subjective category after all.

pearly

Record Breaker
I think Ashley Wagner had a nice, deliberate half loop in combination and so did Patrick Chan. Sasha Cohen as well from pre-IJS; I like her combos because it’s Sasha and because she does the salchow very quickly, without the long awkward glide on the inside edge you see from a lot of skaters— I think that’s half of why they look bad.

The other half, which you pointed out, is the open air position. Unfortunately that’s just a part of the jump; I don’t think I’ve ever seen a half loop with the arms pulled in tight, from any era. The half loop is a single jump and if you look at the fraction of a second it takes skaters to bring their arms in on doubles and triples, the half loop would already be landed. Especially since today it’s always done immediately out of the first jump as part of the three-jump combination.

Historically the kind of tight air position we see today didn’t become common until fairly late; if you go back and watch footage from the 1920s or 1930s when even doubles were uncommon, skaters didn’t bring in their arms much or at all, because it was pointless. It became more standard when 2As became common, and then with triples it was a must, but even then, if you see the top women of 1988 when multiple triples was becoming the standard, they still had more open air positions on their jumps then most skaters today.

Haein Lee did a really nice one last week at JGP: https://youtu.be/8SEaM6jmlsc?t=140 You're right, arms are down but look at the legs, so nicely wrapped and controlled.