Euler aka half Loop jump | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Euler aka half Loop jump

Rissa

Record Breaker

Are you sure this is -3A at the end? Looked like a backwards entry, so like his good 'ol 3A-1l-3S. Which is one of the best examples of a good euler combo because he takes his time with the last jump so the euler doesn't look like a stepout.

I think skaters are getting the hang of it, although sone of the examples on the junior circuit were just tragic.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm also not a fan. It always looks like they bobbled the landing. I am a fan of the three jump combo though but it is often hard for them to keep up the speed for the second and third jump. This seems to be less of an issue on the euler middle jump. The flow seems to be less of a problem

Does that make sense? I feel like I've given a very clumsy explanation of what I mean.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Almost always it looks like a step out and just is very ugly.

I wish it wasn't allowed. It essentially just acts as a cop out for skaters who are unable to jump 3-3 combos.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Almost always it looks like a step out and just is very ugly.

I wish it wasn't allowed. It essentially just acts as a cop out for skaters who are unable to jump 3-3 combos.

Usually skaters who land that combo have a 3-3 too or a 4-3 for men.

Half loop is, compared to triples, such an easy move. Yes, there's all sorts of forces when it's done in a middle of a combo, but how come so few skaters do it so that it has a nice rotation like a regular jump and most of them look like they barely saved a landing?

I think a certain amount of awkwardness can't be helped. You are, after all, on the wrong foot, leaning the wrong way, etc. That is actually the whole point of the combo, to get yourself in a position to do an unnatural Salchow or flip as the second jump.

I agree that it is still a little on the herky-jerky side, even for skaters who can do it smoothly, like Hanyu. It took me quite a while to get used to it when they first allowed the move for points in the CoP.

The example of Midori Ito posted by Pohatta abive is the best example on this thread so far, IMHO.

Spinning

On the Ice
Are you sure this is -3A at the end? Looked like a backwards entry, so like his good 'ol 3A-1l-3S. Which is one of the best examples of a good euler combo because he takes his time with the last jump so the euler doesn't look like a stepout.

I think skaters are getting the hang of it, although sone of the examples on the junior circuit were just tragic.

Oops it was a 3sal. Yes you're right.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think the euler looks especially bad and jerky when the feet are too far apart. It looks like there is a huge puddle on the ice and they are making a heroic effort to "go wide" to avoid landing in it. Heroic maybe, but it sure isn't smooth or pretty.

I do like the examples people have given here, and you'll notice that the feet are relatively close together.

MalAssada

Medalist
I have the impression euler jumps look ugly or even a mistake when skaters simply step onto it. It looks much better when it is actually jumped, as in up and down. Like this, in roller skating.

I think the point is in uniqueness and variety it brings. Some find tano or rippon better, some prefer common arms positions in the jump. Beauty is a subjective category after all.

I agree with this. The half-loop combo is not the prettiest element in a skater's repertoire, but it lets him do some extra cool stuff.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Usually skaters who land that combo have a 3-3 too or a 4-3 for men.
Not necessarily, and the 3-1-3 is quite a bit easier than a 3-3. You lose a fraction of a point with 0 3-3s in the FS due to this.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Not necessarily, and the 3-1-3 is quite a bit easier than a 3-3. You lose a fraction of a point with 0 3-3s in the FS due to this.

I mean maybe in general, with easier combinations? But in the specific sense, I doubt a toe jumper would find a 3Lo+Eu+3S easier than a 3F+3T. And in the general sense, what about something like a +3T vs a +3F?

3+3Lo combinations are all probably more difficult.

iorii

On the Ice

Well, Patrick could even make a fall look graceful.

Here's a better example of Midori's speed in an axel-euler-salchow combination: https://youtu.be/Af-ls6JwpfM?t=1m21s

This is a nice one!

Some good examples here of the combo done right. I'll also add that Shoma's 3A-Eu-3F is a good one. Lots of bounce and little hesitation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbc2VULwGJ8

I'm glad you mentioned Shoma. His euler covers great distance and as Interspectator has said, no hesitation into that jump so you can tell it's not a mistake/stepout. Here's a gif compilation of his euler combo https://twitter.com/cantileverlove/status/1034428022403883008?s=21