Ever watch skating with someone who has NO CLUE? | Golden Skate

Ever watch skating with someone who has NO CLUE?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My best friend is trying to describe the exhibitions to me over the phone as they don't show here for another few minutes... it's hysterical because she has NO clue as to who the heck these people are (she still thinks Tim Goebel will be in Vancouver lol) and she has no idea as to what the difference is between pairs and dance...

but she's a good sport and watches it once in a while... and she's always good for a laugh...

she just called Rachel Flatt, Rachel Fleming.

what a great way to wrap up a US Nationals :rofl:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Are you kidding? At least your friend knows who Goebel is. I've managed to get 1, count 'em, 1 friend to watch figure skating with me this season. I've had to explain EVERYTHING to her. I had to tell her who Kim Yuna is. I had to tell her who Evan Lycasek is. (She became a fan, woohoo!) I had to tell her who all the American women were except Sasha, although I did have to tell her Sasha was making a comeback. I also had to tell her about Plushenko's comeback. THAT got her excited. She remembered Plushenko very well from the last Olympics and she loves him. (However, for some reason, she didn't have a clue who Yagudin was.) She also didn't remember who Shizuka Arakawa was. Also, she was surprised to read that Sasha was known for never putting together two perfect programs.
To boot, this girl skated for 7 years growing up. It's been quite enlightening and also kind of fun watching her get into it.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
To boot, this girl skated for 7 years growing up. It's been quite enlightening and also kind of fun watching her get into it.

That ... is hilarious.

I admit, I don't know too much about skating myself (esp. about CoP, ugh). But i was watching Nationals with my roommate last night and she didn't think anything was wrong with Caroline's mule kick ... until I showed her & compared Yuna's and Caroline's triple lutz.

Layfan

Record Breaker
That ... is hilarious.

I admit, I don't know too much about skating myself (esp. about CoP, ugh). But i was watching Nationals with my roommate last night and she didn't think anything was wrong with Caroline's mule kick ... until I showed her & compared Yuna's and Caroline's triple lutz.

:laugh: Sounds like you know much more about figure skating than most people. The one thing that's great about my friend is that she WAS a former skater so she can explain all sorts of technical stuff to me and she's much better and detecting URs, etc.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
:laugh: Sounds like you know much more about figure skating than most people. The one thing that's great about my friend is that she WAS a former skater so she can explain all sorts of technical stuff to me and she's much better and detecting URs, etc.

LOL. F'real? You'd think she'd have lost that talent since she doesn't watch FS all that much anymore.

And I meant me vs. GS members, not the general public. Hahaha.

Final Flight
i'm at college, tv-less in my dorm room, so i have to go to the student lounge and fight for my TV.

and when i do the place usually has loud people doing other things.

when i was watching rostelecom FD, i got comments like "the girls are probably good in bed"

aftertherain

Record Breaker
i'm at college, tv-less in my dorm room, so i have to go to the student lounge and fight for my TV.

and when i do the place usually has loud people doing other things.

when i was watching rostelecom FD, i got comments like "the girls are probably good in bed"

That's why you find a live feed. :agree:

Layfan

Record Breaker
LOL. F'real? You'd think she'd have lost that talent since she doesn't watch FS all that much anymore.

And I meant me vs. GS members, not the general public. Hahaha.

Well, she was a figure skater though. Anyway, I meant she is better at me at detecting URs which isn't saying much. That said neither of us saw Mirai's URs. We both thought she had won. But i turned to her and said, oh she must have had UR calls and that's why she didn't score higher. I try really hard but I can NEVER see URs. Even on the replay it's sometimes hard for me to get it. At least I'm at the point where I can see flutzes. (sometimes.).

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I try really hard but I can NEVER see URs. Even on the replay it's sometimes hard for me to get it. At least I'm at the point where I can see flutzes. (sometimes.).

I can't do either. I can differentiate jumps, but don't tell me to call edges (I can't tell a Lutz from a Flip, actually). I know one's an outside edge and the other's an inside edge, but still, I can never tell.

I mainly watch with my husband. No - actually, I mainly watch by myself, but hubby does occasionally deign to watch with me. Although he doesn't know anything about it, he remembers some of what I tell him and has a good eye. But he loves to tease, so at tense moments I have to forbid anything whatsoever resembling a joke - especially about Sasha falling. He's been working that one for four years. :banging:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Well, I've been trying to sell my friends and family on figure skating for a long time.

Unfortunately, except for my cousin, who recently started skating herself, I think they know nuts about the sport. It's always "Oh that sport where people wear weird costumes and do crazy stunts" to them.

For the record, my cousin just discovered Sasha Cohen a few days ago. :rofl:

They did seem very impressed by Yu Na's 2009 Worlds SP though.

Barb

Record Breaker
I was literally in shock when my sister told me, she watched SA 09 and "a us girl skated incredible and win", I told her, "no way, Rachel Flatt didn´t win, win the korean girl, of blue dress and she couldn´t believe it":rofl:, I mean I know was not the best of yuna, but that someone is impressed for Rachel is beyond of me:confused:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
My mother drives me absolutely bats! Not only does she not really even understand no much as the difference between singles and non-singles(and I've given up explaining the difference between pairs and ice dance) but her memory is terrible, so even when I do explain things, a month later I have to explain them all over again. She has no understanding of how competitions work, probably doesn't even get that they're different from the shows we've seen together. She likes to come with me to watch the shows, and I think I've managed to get her to remember who some of the skaters she liked better are, though not necessarily by name(I told her that "the couple from the television event" whom she said she liked very much won Nationals and she did remember them, but had I said "Meryl and Charlie" she probably would have looked at me in confusion. Oddly enough, last night when she asked me "who won" the night before(that there might be winners in each discipline did not occur to her), she did remember seeing Rachael Flatt and her being introduced at Kaleidescope by Dorothy Hamill when I mentioned she was mentored by her, whom her opinion of seems to have shifted lately; she enjoyed Hamill at the show, but last night she spoke of her as being too conservative and sneered, "She must have a lot of money."

Layfan

Record Breaker
My mother drives me absolutely bats! Not only does she not really even understand no much as the difference between singles and non-singles(and I've given up explaining the difference between pairs and ice dance) but her memory is terrible, so even when I do explain things, a month later I have to explain them all over again. She has no understanding of how competitions work, probably doesn't even get that they're different from the shows we've seen together. She likes to come with me to watch the shows, and I think I've managed to get her to remember who some of the skaters she liked better are, though not necessarily by name(I told her that "the couple from the television event" whom she said she liked very much won Nationals and she did remember them, but had I said "Meryl and Charlie" she probably would have looked at me in confusion. Oddly enough, last night when she asked me "who won" the night before(that there might be winners in each discipline did not occur to her), she did remember seeing Rachael Flatt and her being introduced at Kaleidescope by Dorothy Hamill when I mentioned she was mentored by her, whom her opinion of seems to have shifted lately; she enjoyed Hamill at the show, but last night she spoke of her as being too conservative and sneered, "She must have a lot of money."

oh dear! :rofl: I think I my drive my friends nuts when I try to over explain things. I'm all oh, and I also watch out for Ashley Wagner. And they're all, who? I then I proceed to tell them Ashley's life story of the past year and they look at me like I'm an obsessed skating dork. Which I guess I am but it's so much more fun to watch the Olympics when you've been watching everyone for years :

Layfan

Record Breaker
I can't do either. I can differentiate jumps, but don't tell me to call edges (I can't tell a Lutz from a Flip, actually). I know one's an outside edge and the other's an inside edge, but still, I can never tell.

There's a different entry into a lutz and a flip and that's the only way I can tell if I pay attention. But if I know the skater is going to do a lutz or the comentator says it's coming and I try to watch out for the flutz and sometimes I see it. I also remember watching skating when I didn't really know about edges and Dick Button would be all giddy about Michelle Kwan or whoever saying "not a single inside edge!" and I'd be all, what on earth is he talking about?"

Kinga

Medalist
I mainly watch with my husband. No - actually, I mainly watch by myself, but hubby does occasionally deign to watch with me. Although he doesn't know anything about it, he remembers some of what I tell him and has a good eye. But he loves to tease, so at tense moments I have to forbid anything whatsoever resembling a joke - especially about Sasha falling. He's been working that one for four years. :banging:

:laugh: I watch with my boyfriend, and as much as I appreciate his comments and opinions (especially when he agrees with me :rofl:), sometimes he annoys me to no end with his cranky jokes :). But he also learns fast and remembers some things from previous competitions. We even pick fantasty figure skating teams together, then he never listens to my advices about lower-ranked skaters - he just picks the surnames he finds funny. ;) Of course, then he ends up very low on the winner list :)