Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So during the downtime of the GS forum Zhenya announced the most unexpected news that she is back to training with Eteri. What are your thoughts on this development?

Edit: Some links for more background info:
Report from Olympic Channel
Interview with Brian Orser from NBC
Eteri's Insta, comment from Eteri: "No big promises. We just work." Comment from Zhenya: "It is good when everything is good. We will work hard and it's great."

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Hands up who likes that GS was out just in the proper time 😅 (I would even suspect the staff from having some internal info before 😆).

So far it seems many people on multiple sides are not happy, but I hope some primal emotions were vented. After all, skaters are not to blame and we have to deal with the situation that I am not able to estimate where it would lead to for those who are affected.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
GS chose the most dramatic day of the season to shut down. There would be close to 100 pages in this thread now lol.
:ROFLMAO: I normally just lurk here, but today when I clicked on my GS Forums shortcut out of habit and then realized that the forum was back up and no-one yet had started THE thread, I just couldn't resist.
Anyway, here have some footage of Zhenya back in training at Sambo-70 from Russia's channel one.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I suspect that RusFed is behind this. After Test Skates it was obvious that Medvedeva needed a change. The COVID-19 situation made it impossible for her to get to Canada.
She still belonged technically to Sambo-90 didn't she? Maybe RusFed decided that it's back to Eteri, or no funding.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I suspect that RusFed is behind this. After Test Skates it was obvious that Medvedeva needed a change. The COVID-19 situation made it impossible for her to get to Canada.
She still belonged technically to Sambo-90 didn't she? Maybe RusFed decided that it's back to Eteri, or no funding.

It could be very possibly just a "technical" solution. RusFed probably doesn't want to pay for "virtual lessons" or whatever was their problem, Evgenia currently can't go back to Canada, she is still formally Khrustalny skater and the transfer window is closed. So, practially the only solution how to train with a coach is to go back to Khrustalny, which, on the other hand, can be very easily only temporary till the next transfer window. I know it would be a change before the olympic season and changes are dangerous in such time, but she wouldn't go to the unknown. So, I think we should make any conclusions only after the end of this "season not season".

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
:ROFLMAO: I normally just lurk here, but today when I clicked on my GS Forums shortcut out of habit and then realized that the forum was back up and no-one yet had started THE thread, I just couldn't resist.
Anyway, here have some footage of Zhenya back in training at Sambo-70 from Russia's channel one.
Love it! But I don't understand a word of it! Can someone please recap what Eteri, Zhenya and Tarasova say?

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Her current situation was pretty untenable for training and competing. I definitely assumed she was getting more ice time at CSKA than she actually was. It is surprising that it results in her going back to Eteri, but moving to another camp would've triggered a lot of financial shifts which probably wouldn't have made anyone in Sambo-70 happy. Her goal is the Olympic season, so realistically I don't see her going back to Canada given the reality of how long this pandemic will last.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Love it! But I don't understand a word of it! Can someone please recap what Eteri, Zhenya and Tarasova say?
They all well and happy.. Anybody think that zhenya would go to anybody without the bleessing of TAT.. and that Eteri wouldn't want zhenya ("her daughter") back .. even if is only to prove that she is better than brian for zhenya .. so every interview will say that they are happyand it's the best choice

macy

Record Breaker
this is THE plot twist of 2020. wild.

i have no idea how this will pan out for her, but obviously i wish for the best. she was injured with Eteri and injured with Brian, so who knows how she will fare. will her upper body focused jump technique she had with Eteri and then undone by Brian come back? what about her consistency?

i also wonder when this decision was agreed upon, since she had Brian on facetime at test skates.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
this is THE plot twist of 2020. wild.

i have no idea how this will pan out for her, but obviously i wish for the best. she was injured with Eteri and injured with Brian, so who knows how she will fare. will her upper body focused jump technique she had with Eteri and then undone by Brian come back? what about her consistency?

i also wonder when this decision was agreed upon, since she had Brian on facetime at test skates.
Brian said that this was in the works after Test Skates never before that, he said he and Zhenya are always blunt and open with one another, so Zhenya said to him on Monday that Eteri was an option (of four) and on Tuesday the decision was made. He said he told her she needed a physical coach in Russia, training herself and the three video sessions per week were not enough to get her back in shape. From his intervidw it seemed RusFed was involved in this. Sambo's president and Crystal rinks president said they were also involved, at least their interviews made it seem like that. They probably saw her skates at Test Skates and decided to take action.