Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva returns to Eteri Tutberidze

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like the choreography overall, but I think she should loose the cartwheel. It seems very risky, and is worthless in terms of points. If she falls, she can loose easy points, or worse, seriously injure her hands or head.
I'm not a fan of the cartwheel either. The skid spiral is so beautiful and the cartwheel while fitting the theme seems kinda juvenile. It also comes rather late in the program and doesn't really add anything to it.

Hah, loving the drama of the back and forth. Never a dull moment in Russian ladies skating, eh. 🍿

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I'm not a fan of the cartwheel either. The skid spiral is so beautiful and the cartwheel while fitting the theme seems kinda juvenile. It also comes rather late in the program and doesn't really add anything to it.
I actually liked the cartwheel in terms of choreography, it really adds a showmanship and intrigue that I do associate with the cirque. It's also a difficult transition from the skid spiral (though it won't be rewarded since it's in the choreo sequence). I get the safety concerns though.

Amei

Record Breaker
I guess I am in the a tiny minority here. I have no problem with Danil Gleikhengauz' chorepgrphy for Eteri T's camp. Some programs are more successful than others, but that's mainly because the skaters perform them better or worse on a particular day.

I have no doubt that he could come up with ideas that would spotlight Medvedeva's strengths and give her a fighting chance going forward.

Daniil's choreography like every other choreographer is hit or miss, it is a little check the boxes at times, but that's the nature of choreographing with the intent of skaters scoring as many points as possible to win. I will say I like his programs more than I hate them and most of the parts I dislike are the music choices, and being in-house with the skaters all the time he's likely far better at choreographing to hide their flaws.

Hah, loving the drama of the back and forth. Never a dull moment in Russian ladies skating, eh. 🍿

I thought the cartwheel was awful and agree it was juvenile and the half-baked attempt at a cartwheel with sloppy fall/tongue out/laughing reaction was a bad look, but I will discount my opinion of its appearance by saying that by the time Medvedeva got to that part she appeared to have given up attempting to skate well . I wondered when it was announced shortly thereafter that she was going back to Eteri that the Fed was displeased at the caricature performance that was given.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don’t think it’s fair to say Evgenia gave up on attempting to skate well. I think she was likely very frustrated by her injury and trying to make the best of it. Getting angry and quitting wasn’t going to do her any favors either. Sometimes you laugh when there isn’t anything left to do.

I think Alegria has the potential to be a really unique and engaging program. The cartwheel itself could be cool but it does seem a little risky.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I see no reason for Daniil to choreograph for Zhenya when Averbukh can do it better (assuming she'd go back to Russian choreographers only). My favorite programs from Zhenya are EL&IC (9/11) and Exogenesis. Two different eras of Zhenya's skating but perfectly choreographed for her. Anna Karenina at Olys may be her most emotionally impactful performance ever, but the raw content of the choreography, to me, is just a slightly lesser version of the choreography Averbukh had previously done for her.

I don't particularly like Daniil, but some of his choreographies are pretty good. Anna's SP is amazing this year, last year too. I don't know why, but it's hard to picture Daniil and Zhenya working together nowadays. I mean, I'm 100% sure it'll happen, for better or for worse, but it's just hard to picture. Based on what we see/know about them publicly (which of course isn't a lot!) they don't seem like they would be compatible people. Anyway, I'm rambling. I mostly just hope Zhenya would use Averbukh over Daniil. And just in general I hope she gets to use Averbukh next season.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I see no reason for Daniil to choreograph for Zhenya when Averbukh can do it better (assuming she'd go back to Russian choreographers only). My favorite programs from Zhenya are EL&IC (9/11) and Exogenesis. Two different eras of Zhenya's skating but perfectly choreographed for her. Anna Karenina at Olys may be her most emotionally impactful performance ever, but the raw content of the choreography, to me, is just a slightly lesser version of the choreography Averbukh had previously done for her.

I don't particularly like Daniil, but some of his choreographies are pretty good. Anna's SP is amazing this year, last year too. I don't know why, but it's hard to picture Daniil and Zhenya working together nowadays. I mean, I'm 100% sure it'll happen, for better or for worse, but it's just hard to picture. Based on what we see/know about them publicly (which of course isn't a lot!) they don't seem like they would be compatible people. Anyway, I'm rambling. I mostly just hope Zhenya would use Averbukh over Daniil. And just in general I hope she gets to use Averbukh next season.

Unfortunately it's most likely going to be Daniil and Eteri adjusting the existing programs, but it'd nice to see Misha Ge working again on her programs in the future.

He did well with Tosca especially considering it was done so quickly mid-season.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
one thing i have to applaude eteri (no matter if it was intended or not) most people are at the moment looking at the drama between teamtutberidze and plushenko and yana instead of zhenya and her so thats one thing ...

And what is that about the rumors that eteri was seen driving zhenya home? Apparently on 2 days?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
one thing i have to applaude eteri (no matter if it was intended or not) most people are at the moment looking at the drama between teamtutberidze and plushenko and yana instead of zhenya and her so thats one thing ...

And what is that about the rumors that eteri was seen driving zhenya home? Apparently on 2 days?
Spend too much time on FSO? ;) they spread a lot of rumours, most of them never turn out to be true

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Spend too much time on FSO? ;) they spread a lot of rumours, most of them never turn out to be trueI read about that rumour first on Twitter
I read about it first on Twitter, and than later on fso, would still be interesting to know if there is something to daid rumor or not, same with what someone said on fso that the meeting on monday was not a meeting between rusfed and zhenya to pressure zhenya but the meeting between eteri and zhenya when they cleared the air,someone on fso said an insider said both eteri and zhenya came out once and then they were in there for 2 hours. Would be interesting to know if that is actually the truth or not. You cant tell me you would not like to know that? Iam not saying i belive those rumors but i would love to know if they are true or not

About the cartwheel, I think that overall the risk overshadows the reward. Even if she performs it well it has to be super-smooth and meshed perfectly with the surrounding choreography in order to have a positive effect.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
About the cartwheel, I think that overall the risk overshadows the reward. Even if she performs it well it has to be super-smooth and meshed perfectly with the surrounding choreography in order to have a positive effect.
I don't think it's a big risk. Just a slip for Medvedeva at test skates. I've seen her and Rika doing it in practice. And a pair I don't remember doing it well last season. Also Nikolaj Majorov did it today in competition. I think it's not that difficult for an athletic skater to include if it fits the theme.

Idiote

On the Ice
I don't think it's a big risk. Just a slip for Medvedeva at test skates. I've seen her and Rika doing it in practice. And a pair I don't remember doing it well last season. Also Nikolaj Majorov did it today in competition. I think it's not that difficult for an athletic skater to include if it fits the theme.
That makes a lot of cartwheels suddenly this season ^^

readernick

Medalist
That makes a lot of cartwheels suddenly this season ^^
A lot of choreographers were impressed with the cartwheels in Kazakova/Reviya's (Georgia Junior ID team)LP last year. It has started a trend. I prefer it to leg kicks and I don't think it is a risk if you are healthy. If you have back problems, it might be unnecessarily troublesome....

A lot of choreographers were impressed with the cartwheels in Kazakova/Reviya's (Georgia Junior ID team)LP last year. It has started a trend. I prefer it to leg kicks and I don't think it is a risk if you are healthy. If you have back problems, it might be unnecessarily troublesome....
My concern about the cartwheel is this. Most any child can learn to do a cartwheel. Sort of. But at the top level, a cartwheel is a gymnastics move that requires precission and training.

If you look at a gymnast doing one, you can see the difference. Hand, hand, foot, foot, with the illusion that the move is so exquisitely under controll that the performer could come to a complete handstand in thre middle is she wanted to. Strong and flexible wrists. Back leg in perfect alignment with the spine. Etc., etc.

If you do an amateur's version you invite comparisons which could diminish the impact of the move.

readernick

Medalist
My concern about the cartwheel is this. Most any child can learn to do a cartwheel. Sort of. But at the top level, a cartwheel is a gymnastics move that requires precission and training.

If you look at a gymnast doing one, you can see the difference. Hand, hand, foot, foot, with the illusion that the move is so exquisitely under controll that the performer could come to a complete handstand in thre middle is she wanted to. Strong and flexible wrists. Back leg in perfect alignment with the spine. Etc., etc.

If you do an amateur's version you invite comparisons which could diminish the impact of the move.bl
Fair point. I am sure most skaters will not be able to do it with the same perfection as a gymnast could. ( I would argue that Rika who was involved in gymnastics as a child does have pretty good form- still not perfect) However, if you apply this standard to choreography there aren’t many movements skaters can make on the ice. A skater who does ballet is never truly balletic, skaters who do Latin dance are definitely not performing these movements up to the standard of a Latin ballroom dancer and etc.... I am not sure it is realistic for skaters to avoid movements just because they lack perfect mastery of an element/dance step/ athletic skill. They will almost always compare unfavorably, but failing to attempt these elements would likely restrict creativity.