Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1558 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Zhenya gave an interview to the Olympic Channel. The video is embedded in the article

The Russian one has also more information

The two interview videos

Last edited:

Znowflake

On the Ice
It sounds like she still has pain when she jumps triples.. I wish her lots and lots of health ❤️🙏🏻 It does sound like its getting better but I guess realistically we won’t see her until next year (if shes better)

Edit:

Evgenia Medvedeva, with ‘a fire inside’ keeps skating for one main thing: ‘The fans’
In an exclusive interview, the double Olympic silver medallist and two-time world champion talks of health challenges this season, but says she’s not ready to hang up her skates – yet.

I just re read the article and re read the heading lol overload all at once with all the info in there!! I think she was just very candid and honest and we likely will see her again :).

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
sounds like she is beginning to have problems with motivation. i just hope if the pain and struggles become too much she doesn't force herself to stay.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
sounds like she is beginning to have problems with motivation. i just hope if the pain and struggles become too much she doesn't force herself to stay.
She always said her fans were her main motivation, what kept her going. Most athletes talked about motivation troubles during the pandemic. It is worth to watch the video, she sounds much more happier than the written text alludes.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Zhenya: And my mother and I are now interested in diamond mosaics. These are sets in which there is a drawing base on which such small crystals must be glued on top. The result is a picture that sparkles and glitters like a skater's dress.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Oh, this was a good interview. (watched both video and read it) She seems better, which is good to see.

And oddly enough, some of the things she said - while they initially hurt a bit - made me feel more relieved afterwards. Her comments about how she proved everything at the last Olympics make it very clear: She‘s not going to Beijing and she knows it. And she has, in a way, found her peace with it.

She‘s still trying to come back to competition because she loves the feeling but we always knew that. Most people would have given up in her situation and disappeared into the sunset to earn more money and loads of other opportunities. And after the years of rigorous training, who can blame them for wanting a normal life? But Zhenya lives for skating and she will give it her everything to make it happen. I respect that, though I also understand the struggles and pain she‘s going through. I hope that she doesn‘t force herself to continue for the sake of her fans. While I will be very sad to see her retire, I much rather want her to be happy and healthy. She‘s so talented and there‘s loads of things she can do outside of competitive figure skating. Every ice show will be delighted to have her, once they‘re back, for one. And with how well her coaching seminar in Mexico went, it‘s obvious she can use her popularity to promote the sport all over the world.

I still think, if she was healthy, she would have lots to give. She‘s not “done“ artistically by any means but sometimes your body knows better. Seems that with her that‘s the case and I hope she realises it soon. But judging by the way she‘s talking, she is in the process of that.

Don‘t get me wrong - I want her back on competitive ice because that‘s where she belongs. But realistically, the way figure skating in Russia is right now, there is no chance for her to make it onto the big stage ever again. Is it worth to live in pain for that all the time?

Personally, I am hoping there will come a change in figure skating soon because right now, it‘s making me lose a lot of my enjoyment. Not exactly because of Zhenya missing from competition - it was obvious that this was going to happen and sooner rather than later. But I just can‘t get behind a lot of the so called “evolution“ of the sport, though the last year‘s made it a little more complicated as I started rooting for athletes who are right in the middle of “evolutionizing“ it. So, basically, I sit here cheering for athletes whose skating doesn‘t make me feel joy but who I want to succeed nevertheless to escape this toxic system they‘re trying not to drown in. But that‘s a matter for another subject.

As for Zhenya: I respect her. I respect her love for this sport. But at this point, I hope she figures out her priorities and realises that hurting yourself everyday might not be worth it in the end.

I do very much hope to see her programs in costumes again, though. Maybe in competition, maybe in a farewell performance, maybe at a show. Whatever her health permits. :pray:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Don‘t get me wrong - I want her back on competitive ice because that‘s where she belongs. But realistically, the way figure skating in Russia is right now, there is no chance for her to make it onto the big stage ever again. Is it worth to live in pain for that all the time?

But at this point, I hope she figures out her priorities and realises that hurting yourself everyday might not be worth it in the end.
For you from Zhenya 😉
"To be honest, when I hear someone start talking about my future in the following categories: “Evgenia will skate for a long time” or “No, she will no longer skate and will end her career”, “She will beat everyone” or “She will never get that high again” - I do not feel any positive emotions for such people. I don't like it when people talk about things that I myself have no idea about."

You wrote Zhenya off since her switch to Brian in 2018, so I am not surprised by your posts anymore.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Evgenia is being mature and realistic. Right now she is working on her health and getting back into competitive shape. We don't know what the future holds, so live in the moment. As her fan , I want her to be healthy and happy. I would love her to stay competitive, she has a lot more to show us. Next season, I think it would be great if she competed at Cup of China, it's the only grand prix she has not attended.
As for the Olympics, I think she could make the team if that is her goal. But if not, 2026 is not out of the realm of possibility. It's her choice to continue. Whatever she decides would be great.

As for this season, there are still 5 months left. We may see her at a Russian competition. Or maybe a senior B. She's never done a senior B, except once in juniors. I'd love it.

Finally, I'd love her to do seminars like she did in Mexico, that helps figure skating more as a sport than winning any medals.

Fluture

Record Breaker
For you from Zhenya 😉
"To be honest, when I hear someone start talking about my future in the following categories: “Evgenia will skate for a long time” or “No, she will no longer skate and will end her career”, “She will beat everyone” or “She will never get that high again” - I do not feel any positive emotions for such people. I don't like it when people talk about things that I myself have no idea about."

You wrote Zhenya off since her switch to Brian in 2018, so I am not surprised by your posts anymore.
Nothing that I said was disrespectful to Zhenya in any shape or form. In fact, my words do not even apply to what she herself spoke about in this context. I was not and am not planning to speak in certainties - I do not know what will happen, as does nobody, not even she herself. I do, however, listen to her own words and hearing her speak about going through pain every day is not easy. I know you‘re a real Zhenya fan and I appreciate all the information you‘re bringing to this fanfest. But frankly, the constant policing of how to show “proper support“ is starting to get on my nerves. We‘re all here because we love Zhenya. Let us love and support even if we do it in ways that differ from yours, please.

I have stayed up until the middle of the night to watch and support Zhenya. I‘ve cried, both with joy and disappointment and have watched her programs more than of any other figure skater. I‘ve defended her time and time again on this very forum against people who put her down or counted her out. So for whatever it‘s worth, don‘t tell me I‘ve “counted her out since she switched to Brian“ just because we happen to disagree on her current career trajectory.

I, personally, do not believe risking both your physical as well as mental health is worth it for a competitive sport in which your chances are close to zero. (by the way the distribution of spots is designed. She happens to skate for Russia, where you just do not have the time to regroup slowly and get back in shape at your own pace) Not when you have so many other opportunities in life, including in he sport you love (figure skating is NOT restricted to competitions only. She has choreographed her own programs, designed costumes, held coaching seminars, skated in shows. She could do all of that and she could do it well) Not when you are loved by so many all over the World who will support you, even if you don‘t step foot on competitive ice ever again.

I respect that she is willing to try. I respect that she‘s going further than 99% would. All I did was hope that, in the end, she does not feel pressured by fans to come back. Because ultimately, her health matters the most to me.

If she managed to come back healthily, I’d probably cry with joy lol. But I am leaving the door open. Just like she is, by the way. As for me not believing she has any chance to go to the Olympics? Well, if this is counting her out then so be it. But let it be said that I am not counting her out because of lack of fighting qualities or whatever, she has plenty of those, but because of the direction the sport is heading.

“I do very much hope to see her programs in costumes again, though. Maybe in competition, maybe in a farewell performance, maybe at a show. Whatever her health permits.“

This is what I said and I stand by it. I want her back. Very much so. But only if she‘s healthy and right now, it doesn‘t look like this is possible.

Fluture

Record Breaker

Rexarcadia

On the Ice
Really nice interview. I especially love this
[...] What would you like people to remember you for?

I've been thinking about it recently, to be honest.
I want people and viewers to remember that I have always struggled and overcome all difficulties with a smile on my face, and never gave up. It so happened that there were many obstacles in my way, and I wanted people to remember that I was going through these obstacles with my head high.
She has such a beautiful and mature outlook. I have endless respect and admiration for her. I just want her to find happiness and peace in whatever the future holds.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely respect Evgenia for her perseverance and her fighting spirit. I think she is a true role model. Moving to Canada took such bravery and accepting that Covid changed her training schedule. To move back to Sambo and be so gracious about it. To skate with a broken foot at the Olympics. She injured her hip at the 2019 Worlds and still won bronze.
She's amazing. :bow:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
The Olympic channel interview was so sweet! It made me miss her and her skating even more! Also, side note but in the video interview (the one in English), her English sounded even better. I imagine with everything going on her life she’s probably been practicing between picking up new musical talents and hanging with Jerry and Tofu:ROFLMAO:
Hopefully we can see her on the ice soon😍(whenever her back/body isn’t in pain of course!)

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I definitely respect Evgenia for her perseverance and her fighting spirit. I think she is a true role model. Moving to Canada took such bravery and accepting that Covid changed her training schedule. To move back to Sambo and be so gracious about it. To skate with a broken foot at the Olympics. She injured her hip at the 2019 Worlds and still won bronze.
She's amazing. :bow:
This!

She's like the protagonist in an epic hero journey. This is like some sort of sports mythology or something. It is the stuff of movies and legends, and I don't see how anyone can resist being inspired by her or cheering for her to meet her goals in the end.