Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1015 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
I don't think she should portray a geisha, but rather just do a lovely piece to the music. Zhenya is not Japanese and I think specifically dressing like and portraying a geisha could be offensive.

That said, the music is one of my favorite scores and I'm thrilled she'll skate to it! I think it can be done respectfully and sensitively while still making use of the lovely music.

I am sure they will be sensitive to that. Have to see who the choreographer is.

Evgenia has always said Japan is one of her favorite places in the world, I imagine this will be her tribute to a country that has shown her so much love back.

In other news, I hope she sticks to Tosca, maybe tweak it here and there. But we already know it can score high - with more time, I think it will even be better. Let's also remember that Evgenia's still in the middle of changing her technique - she's just 10 months in - so keeping Tosca will give her enough space to continue working on her technique.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
I just wanted to say that I am so so so happy for Zhenya. She had an extremely hard season, went through so many changes, and was still able to come out on top when it really mattered. I think this now motivates her more than ever, and I am super excited to see how this all develops. Like brian said, it's only been 10 months. 8 more to go :love:

Placebo11

On the Ice
I know! Maybe 1 or 2k come from the World Championships, but the rest.... Thank you Nike!

Btw, I'm curious because by the end of last year there was an interview with her manager and he said she was getting another major sponsor, but have heard nothing since then... Anyone remembers that interview?

I remember that and thought she didn't get the deal eventually because of the disaster at the Nationals. But that's my pessimism. lol. Maybe she'll get another deal soon as her popularity is rising again.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
Don't know if I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want her to keep Tosca. It's a solid program, but a relatively basic one. No shade, I just think it's visible that it was choreogrphed in a hurry. After Nats I thought it made sense to keep it, because I was coming to terms with the fact that she won't have the chance to show it again this season, but now that she took it to Worlds, I think it doesn't have much more for her to offer.

Yes, as much as I love Tosca, I prefer new programs with new seasons (no matter the skater)

DeeDee18

On the Ice
I remember that and thought she didn't get the deal eventually because of the disaster at the Nationals. But that's my pessimism. lol. Maybe she'll get another deal soon as her popularity is rising again.

Nike is a very popular brand, so I'm glad that she's on their main instagram page because more people can see her, her face and her personality.

grey19

On the Ice
Well, I knew this was coming. Come on, I know that Eteri is a great, great coach. And is having today a deserved moment of glory. But when Evgenia is struggling it's Brian's fault, as soon as she is getting better, that's all Eteri's school...

zblc015

Rinkside
I don't think she should portray a geisha, but rather just do a lovely piece to the music. Zhenya is not Japanese and I think specifically dressing like and portraying a geisha could be offensive.

That said, the music is one of my favorite scores and I'm thrilled she'll skate to it! I think it can be done respectfully and sensitively while still making use of the lovely music.

Memoirs is quite complex thematically and has lots for them to choose from, as well as having a lot of non-Japanese influence anyway. My guess is there'll be nods to Japanese culture, as well as geisha dancing (sorry if there's a technical term for it!) which she's already had some experience with in her trips to Japan, but should that anymore scandalous than the thousands (millions, billions, trillions) of Carmens from non-Spanish skaters? Plus, Hanyu is there. He's someone who has skated Japanese programs as a Japanese skater. It'd surprise me if he doesn't at least give it the thumbs up in terms of theme. She's got a good crew around her, they won't let her make a fool of herself

I'm excited too! It's a beautiful score and hopefully as she's a little older she can give it that maturity to dramatically off-set the lightness

But for now...ZHENYA'S got a BRONZE MEDAL at WORLDS!!!!!!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Well, I knew this was coming. Come on, I know that Eteri is a great, great coach. And is having today a deserved moment of glory. But when Evgenia is struggling it's Brian's fault, as soon as she is getting better, that's all Eteri's school...

:laugh:

'nuff said.

Amy Zara

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
forgive me for being so late but I just finished watching the competition and i am over the moon!!!

seriously, I was cheering so hard and dancing around my house :yahoo:

what an incredible end to this season, i could not be more proud of everything she has achieved! She deserved this medal and fought so hard to get it, she really is a queen :luv17:

beautiful music for the FP next season too, really think they could do something special with that. like others have said, i think it's important that whatever they come up with is sensitive to Japanese culture too, so i hope they get in a choreographer who can help with that!

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I love it. Is it too soon to talk about costumes? :dbana:

Hahahahha perhaps not :laugh:
I really like the Kiss-n-Cry colors here, and I like the cherry blossoms, but I don't really like that color on her (light pink, white). But lilac could work. I think I'd like some flowers on it too, to look like a kimono. But nevermind the costume, is it too much to hope for that Olga makes it? :(

Haikush

On the Ice
Just saw she one the bronze. How many of us would have loved this result even just a month ago. Congrats Zhenya! So well deserved.

Placebo11

On the Ice

Who said that? Someone on the Russian Ladies Thread? 🤣🤣🤣
They have no arguments against Zhenya anymore. 😂😂😂

madison

Record Breaker
She is just wonderful. Her determination is something....
To come at Worlds after this season and win a medal... A true legend and an inspiration.
For me her fighting spirit and determination are inspiring.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Forgive me for posting 500000 posts in the last 10min, I was just catching up :laugh:

I'd like her to keep Tosca, but I want them to make it fuller. No offense, but right now it's kinda just skating from jump to jump. I want more transitions, though that goes for the FS too.