Exhibitions that should have been turned into competitive programs? | Golden Skate

Exhibitions that should have been turned into competitive programs?

lappo

Final Flight
As per the title, have you ever seen an exhibition at a gala and thought "wow, skater X should make this is SP/LP program for next season"? Did it happen?
My two cents: I always thought that Mao Asada "Por una cabeza" EX was one of her most gorgeous programs ever and I so wished she could have skated that as an SP instead of her Schnittke tango. Here the EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1HDt9qPR0
I also adore Yuna Kim "Turandot" EX and I always wished she had made it into an SP. Here the EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnPkt4R4wQ&t=77s
What are your thoughts?

Apple1078

Final Flight
Nicole Bobek's "Circle of Life". I feel like there have been quite a few Lion King programs, most recently Wakaba's new FS for next season, but Nicole's is still my favorite.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In fairness, Jason's current exhibition "Melancholy" was actually designed as an SP, and he was going to go ahead with it until he showed Sinnerman to Tracy and Brian. If only Sinnerman wasn't so good, I would have been gutted that it was kept as an exhibition.
Melancholy is just utterly stunning.

I know, I remember hearing that Melancholy was not going to be his SP, after seeing it at Peggy Fleming, and thinking Whhaaat? Nooooo?😢

Once I saw the masterpiece that is Sinnerman, I understood why.👏

To be fair, Jason has already adapted his exhibitions as a competetive program: his SP in the spring and summer of 2016 was "Appassionata", but was changed at Champs Camp to his exhibition "Writing's on the Wall"

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nicole Bobek's "Circle of Life". I feel like there have been quite a few Lion King programs, most recently Wakaba's new FS for next season, but Nicole's is still my favorite.
One of my favorite programs! Her Arabesque spiral is incredible!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't seem to find it but, hopefully someone else can. One of my favorite Exhibition performances was Alissa Czisny's Man Of La Mancha. It was better than her Zorro SP IMO, of course.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A question here - Was Mao Asada's "I Vow to Thee, My Country" ever a competitive program?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
A question here - Was Mao Asada's "I Vow to Thee, My Country" ever a competitive program?
No, and thankfully not. It was such a gorgeous and personal program I feel like putting it in a competitive setting would have stripped a lot of the emotion from it because she'd have to focus on completing elements. Some programs are so beautiful because the skater can just skate and be free without the pressure of checking off elements. For that program she was able to get lost in the meaning behind it and it made for some truly breathtaking performances.

I agree with the OP re: Mao's "Por Una Cabeza" program--when I saw the title of the thread that's the one that popped into my head. I also loved Akiko Suzuki's "Libertango" EX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Huy1PI9vc (sorry for the crappy resolution but this is the best version without all of the talking). This would have been a fabulous SP, especially the step sequence and ending. This was actually the program that made me fall in love with Akiko--I just love how she performed this 🥰

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Wow. Wow. Nicole moves like a cat in the beginning bars. A few times later, she strikes a quick pose that just speaks "a young lion coming into her full power." And that hydroblade when Elton sings the words "circle of life." Plus the majestic spiral. Just everything throughout; it's a complete moment with emotion and musical power.

Nobody expresses music and becomes one with it like Nicole did. thanks so much for sharing this!