Family Skating Special | Golden Skate

Family Skating Special

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Just watched the Family Skating show on ABC and I absolutely loved it. It was so much fun to see all the skaters and their children. All of them were little show stoppers, especially Kurt's boys, Todd's little ones, Nancy's little girl, and Silvia and John's daughters. And Liza Kulik is great - any chance of seeing her competing internationally? I also loved getting to hear Amy Grant again - I grew up listening to her because she was my aunt's favorite singer.

I was especially surprised and pleased to hear and see Ilia performing to a Christian song by Amy Grant. I think that's one of the first times I've heard Christian music used in an ice show. Because that's so rare I'm a little curious - is Ilia a Christian too?

Anyway, hope everyone caught it today.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eh, I couldn't get into it, watched a few minutes and it was way too saccharine for my taste.

But glad you enjoyed it.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I ended up fast-forwarding through a lot of it, but those performances with the little kids were really fun. Nancy Kerrigan's kids look so much like her.

statmam

On the Ice
I missed it because it coincided with the Grand Prix TEB broadcast on NBC; however, the website indicates that it will be re-aired on December 7. Hope to catch it then. Thanks for the sneak preview.

Manitou

Medalist
Nice show, loved to see past skaters with their families, but yes, you have to make friends with fast forwarding. But still surprised to see it on prime time.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I caught some of it during TEB commercials. Todd's family number with the restaurant setup was okay, mostly because I still get astounded by his basic skating and crisp movements and just plain presence on the ice. John and Silvia looked great in the little bit I saw. But overall I found it seemed more canned and forced than usual, though I typically enjoy these holiday family shows at least somewhat.

TEB coverage was much more interesting for me than this, even having already seen most of the TEB skates already on the internet.

I am very interested in hearing other thoughts on this show, because I felt similar to apgold.

I was especially surprised and pleased to hear and see Ilia performing to a Christian song by Amy Grant. I think that's one of the first times I've heard Christian music used in an ice show. Because that's so rare I'm a little curious - is Ilia a Christian too?

OK, so I tried Googling "Is Ilia Kulik Christian?" and got a bunch of references to coach Ilia and his student Michael Christian Martinez. :)

A lot of skaters, both in competition and shows, have used either the Schubert or the Gounod Ave Maria. And there are Christmas specials with Christmas music, both Santa and Jesus. There are a few professional skaters in the U.S. who are active in Christian witnessing, such as Paul Wylie and Scott Hamilton. I imagine that skaters who are not especially religious are content to perform to whatever music is proposed by the show's producers and don't think much about it one way or the other.

Manitou

Medalist
If he is Christian then he is probably Orthodox. Not that this matters, but just for the reference...
In her book Gordeeva did not write much about the depth of her faith, except she was impressed by Paul Wyllie's deep faith. I assume she is a believer, which makes her Orthodox. So it probably implies Ilia is a believer, thus Orthodox too. Which automatically classifies them as Christians.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
It was fun watching Kurt and his youngest. I always enjoyed Kurt's Brick House and this was just a cuter version with his son. Seems like both of his sons inherited Kurt's showmanship.

Wow - Nancy's eldest is a grown up now.... and while he isn't competitive, he does seem to be more than a skate around the rink skater.

Enjoyed watching Liza, too.

I thought Kristi was going to skate with her daughter ....

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Amy Grant was the guest singer, and she started out as a Christian contemporary pop singer (before crossing over more to "pop"), I wonder if that's the reason that song was chosen (although I was surprised @ the choice, considering this wasn't the "official" holiday show).

We attended the live show, and loved it - especially for seeing Todd, Kurt, Paul, Katia, Ilia, & their kids. Loved the addition of the Kerrs, since Isabelle, Rocky, & Gabby had to withdraw due to Rocky's injury. Wish there weren't so many ads during the broadcast, but @ least we can fast forward them in the future.

nguyhm

On the Ice
It was fun watching Kurt and his youngest. I always enjoyed Kurt's Brick House and this was just a cuter version with his son. Seems like both of his sons inherited Kurt's showmanship.

That part was the highlight for me, I could not stop smiling, just too too cute. I was also impressed with Michael (Weir)'s daughter, her singing has improved so much since the last time she was on a similar (skating) show with her dad. Great talents!

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what the issue is with Ilia skating to Christian music. Amy Grant was the guest singer - she sings Christian songs. Ilia doesn't perform a lot and probably doesn't have programs in the can he can just pull out and lay down. This is all sort of a non-issue to me. But I agree that "fast forward" was my friend yesterday. Annie Weiss still cannot carry a tune IMO and the beginning of that song - before her mother chimed in - was just painful to listen to. It was fun seeing the children but it would appear that Liza Kulik is the only one with skating expertise. I know she is competing and was sat the Pacific Northwest Regionals but don't know how she did. With her Dad as her coach you KNOW her jumps are going to be technically sound!!! She really looks good on the ice for her age. I thought Kurt's littlest was absolutely adorable and a chip off the old block. I hope he pursues skating. So much talent in such a little boy! Kurt was so proud of both of his boys. But the rest of it was a snooze fest. However, when I see Paul Wylie and Todd Eldredge it reminds me of how beautiful men's skating used to be before the quad ruled the world. They still have that smoothness and effortless movement on the ice with wonderful body lines - even when doing a comedic number. There are a few skaters out there today that should take notice!!!

Brandenburg

Rinkside
The Amy Grant song that Ilia skated to was chosen originally for the Knoxville TN fundraiser (Amy Grant starring) that Scott did for the new cancer center there - that was last season. Ilia used the program again as the Knoxville performance had not been broadcast.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Thanks for explaining that. Whatever, Ilia is still amazing, and what a talented family!