Fans of Gymnastics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fans of Gymnastics

MeineKatze

On the Ice
He hasn't retired. He's just skipping most of the competitions this next season while recovering from some injuries. He's changed his management from Konami Club to be an independent pro gymnast. -But he will still compete. Up till now, all gymnasts in Japan have belonged to a club, university or company. But Uchimura wants to do things more independently now without having to run everything through Konami (which have their own products and things they promote) so by becoming an individual pro-gymnast, he can promote Gymnastics itself. -And choose his own sponsors. It's never been done before, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Oh I see. I thought he was turning pro like figure skaters do. So if gymnastics isn't popular in Japan, does he probably make much less than like Yuzuru or Mao? does he get as much sponsors and commercial deals as those two?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oh I see. I thought he was turning pro like figure skaters do. So if gymnastics isn't popular in Japan, does he probably make much less than like Yuzuru or Mao? does he get as much sponsors and commercial deals as those two?

Comparatively few. But till now it's been more of a personal preference since he doesn't like the spotlight so much. -And he couldn't do any commercials that would clash with Konami. I'd love to see him in more commercials and on TV.

humbaba

Final Flight
The level of Women's NCAA gymnastics has improved so much over the years. It's great that young elite gymnasts can earn scholarships and continue their competitive careers in college.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I like both artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics but I am only a casual fan and I don't follow these sport on a daily basis.

Hungary has been traditionally strong in artistic gymnastics, and is currently on the #7th place on the most successful countries at the Summer Olympics in this sport by winning 40 medals, including 15 golds. The last time we won was in pommel horse in London 2012 (Krisztián Berki), and it was a really memorable victory because he won against two British gymnasts, Smith and Whitlock, after Berki tied with Smith on the overall mark but surpassed him on the execution score.
Although he won the world championships again in 2014, he had been struggling with injuries since and he couldn't get a spot at the Rio Olympics. Fortunately, things go better for him these days, and he returned last month in Japan, where he won the Toyota competition.

He spoke many times about Uchimura, calling him as one of his biggest idols and a living legend in the sport.

I really like Berki, I think his style stands out, he is a very elegant gymnast. He also went through a lot - when he couldn't compete in Beijing 2008 because of the qualification rules, although he won the silver at Worlds a year earlier in 2007.
But apart from his incredible results, he is also a really down-to-earth guy, a very humble person. We all respect him as an athlete.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I like both artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics but I am only a casual fan and I don't follow these sport on a daily basis.

Hungary has been traditionally strong in artistic gymnastics, and is currently on the #7th place on the most successful countries at the Summer Olympics in this sport by winning 40 medals, including 15 golds. The last time we won was in pommel horse in London 2012 (Krisztián Berki), and it was a really memorable victory because he won against two British gymnasts, Smith and Whitlock, after Berki tied with Smith on the overall mark but surpassed him on the execution score.
Although he won the world championships again in 2014, he had been struggling with injuries since and he couldn't get a spot at the Rio Olympics. Fortunately, things go better for him these days, and he returned last month in Japan, where he won the Toyota competition.

He spoke many times about Uchimura, calling him as one of his biggest idols and a living legend in the sport.

I really like Berki, I think his style stands out, he is a very elegant gymnast. He also went through a lot - when he couldn't compete in Beijing 2008 because of the qualification rules, although he won the silver at Worlds a year earlier in 2007.
But apart from his incredible results, he is also a really down-to-earth guy, a very humble person. We all respect him as an athlete.

Ugh, I was PISSED when he missed out on Beijing and Rio due to the stupid qualification rules that Grandi finally changed for Tokyo; I'm so glad that he didn't turn out like Aljaz Pegan who was a World and European champion on high bar and never went to the Olympics because of those moronic rules. As far as I'm concerned, Berki is the best pommel horse worker in history; his body was made for pommel horse and his stretch is unreal. To be honest, the final in Rio was pretty underwhelming without him there and it's kind of funny to think of Max Whitlock as an Olympic champion on that event considering that his circles on the horse are pretty lousy. I was afraid that Berki retired after Worlds in Glasgow so I was happy to see videos of him training again last year. Has he made any indication about going for 2020?

And I do love Hungarian gymnastics as a whole too! One of my favorite gymnasts is Henrietta Onodi and I loved her 92 all-around floor routine. That piked full-in at the end to the music is one of my favorite moments in Olympic gymnastics history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihr7Uj1lJuQ :love:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Ugh, I was PISSED when he missed out on Beijing and Rio due to the stupid qualification rules that Grandi finally changed for Tokyo; I'm so glad that he didn't turn out like Aljaz Pegan who was a World and European champion on high bar and never went to the Olympics because of those moronic rules. As far as I'm concerned, Berki is the best pommel horse worker in history; his body was made for pommel horse and his stretch is unreal. To be honest, the final in Rio was pretty underwhelming without him there and it's kind of funny to think of Max Whitlock as an Olympic champion on that event considering that his circles on the horse are pretty lousy. I was afraid that Berki retired after Worlds in Glasgow so I was happy to see videos of him training again last year. Has he made any indication about going for 2020?

And I do love Hungarian gymnastics as a whole too! One of my favorite gymnasts is Henrietta Onodi and I loved her 92 all-around floor routine. That piked full-in at the end to the music is one of my favorite moments in Olympic gymnastics history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihr7Uj1lJuQ :love:

Very kind words about Berki :thank:

Yes, he said in interviews that he is going for Tokyo 2020. I really hope he stays healthy until then. Before Rio he said that it would be a dream to become a two-time Olympic champion like his idol, Zoltan Magyar. But even if he won't compete in 2020, or won't win anything there, I am happy that he is already an Olympic champion, because he really deserved it so much.

Anyway, a new element has been named after him in 2016, here are the details:
https://www.facebook.com/tornaszber...906224240059/1036390139791659/?type=3&theater
He said that it is probably the greatest achievement in his career.

Yes, that Hungarian Rhapsody was such a good choice for Henrietta's routine, and the ending was perfect.
Unfortunately, Hungary couldn't win another medal in the ladies' field since Barcelona. It seems like the men in general are more successful. Apart from pommel horse, Csollany won a gold medal in rings at the Sydney Olympics.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Very kind words about Berki :thank:

Yes, he said in interviews that he is going for Tokyo 2020. I really hope he stays healthy until then. Before Rio he said that it would be a dream to become a two-time Olympic champion like his idol, Zoltan Magyar. But even if he won compete in 2020, or won't win anything there, I am happy that he is already an Olympic champion, because he really deserved it so much.

Anyway, a new element has been named after him n 2016, here are the details:
https://www.facebook.com/tornaszber...906224240059/1036390139791659/?type=3&theater
He said that it is probably the greatest achievement in his career.

Yes, that Hungarian Rhapsody was such a good choice for Henrietta's routine, and the ending was perfect.
Unfortunately, Hungary couldn't win another medal in the ladies' field since Barcelona. It seems like the men in general are more successful. Apart from pommel horse, Csollany won a gold medal in rings at the Sydney Olympics.

YESSSSSSS. I can't wait to see him throughout this quad! If he remains healthy, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to regain his Olympic title in Tokyo! I was never a big fan of pommels until he came along; his straddle is absolute perfection especially on his eponymous move. He stopped doing it in the last quad for some reason... probably due to his injuries. I'm sure you know, but his named skill is the first one he does in this routine. It's so quiet that you can even hear some gasps from the partisan British audience during that move... it's just unreal. Goosebumps. I'll be at Worlds in Montreal later this year, so hopefully he makes an appearance! :luv17: :love: :luv17: :love:

And yeah, it's unfortunate the women haven't been able to replicate the success of Henrietta. I have to say that her eponymous move is probably my favorite beam skill. Mustafina and Liukin have my favorite Onodis from recent years. It's such a beautiful skill.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Anyone watching the European Championships? Podium training for ladies was broadcasted on television today. You can find some of the videos on this channel. Some of the well known gymnasts include Sanne Wevers, Catalina Ponor, Larisa Iordache, Eythora Thorsdottir, Becky & Ellie Downie and Angelina Melnikova.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FullGymnastics

This is Larisa Iordache's "official" return to competition after missing Euros and Olympics last year. She's doing beam and uneven bars. She and Catalina rearranged their beam elements to fit the new code of points.

Iordache beam
https://youtu.be/BTGdARs46hY

Iordache uneven bars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUbbaw3oS80

Ponor beam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxNL3y4sdA

sallycinnamon

Medalist
YESSSSSSS. I can't wait to see him throughout this quad! If he remains healthy, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to regain his Olympic title in Tokyo! I was never a big fan of pommels until he came along; his straddle is absolute perfection especially on his eponymous move. He stopped doing it in the last quad for some reason... probably due to his injuries. I'm sure you know, but his named skill is the first one he does in this routine. It's so quiet that you can even hear some gasps from the partisan British audience during that move... it's just unreal. Goosebumps. I'll be at Worlds in Montreal later this year, so hopefully he makes an appearance! :luv17: :love: :luv17: :love:

And yeah, it's unfortunate the women haven't been able to replicate the success of Henrietta. I have to say that her eponymous move is probably my favorite beam skill. Mustafina and Liukin have my favorite Onodis from recent years. It's such a beautiful skill.

Ah I haven't replied to this since January.
Tokyo is still far away and anything can happen until then, I just hope he stays healthy *knock on wood* then we'll see. He's got his very well deserved Olympic gold medal and he's won every other major gold medals, so anything more would be a plus I think :)

Anyway congratulations to Krisztian, he's just won the silver medal at the Europeans in Cluj! :thumbsup: Though the Hungarian team appealed against the results because he got a deduction for starting his routine too late, thus the results are not yet official (but probably it won't be changed). Without the deduction he would've won the gold.

After his name was called, the clock started to count a couple of seconds later, so they were not in sync. Berki looked up the clock and then he started the routine 32-33 seconds after his name was called. He said he never did such a mistake before, and as always, he was very humble and said that he is glad that the won the silver and that Belyavskiy did a wonderful routine.

Another good news is, that Zsofi Kovacs won the silver in the all-round competition, no other Hungarian was able to achieve this success before (not even Onodi, her best result in the all-round was a bronze in 1990). This is a superb, and I'm very happy for her and the team. :)

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Ah I haven't replied to this since January.
Tokyo is still far away and anything can happen until then, I just hope he stays healthy *knock on wood* then we'll see. He's got his very well deserved Olympic gold medal and he's won every other major gold medals, so anything more would be a plus I think :)

Anyway congratulations to Krisztian, he's just won the silver medal at the Europeans in Cluj! :thumbsup: Though the Hungarian team appealed against the results because he got a deduction for starting his routine too late, thus the results are not yet official (but probably it won't be changed). Without the deduction he would've won the gold.

After his name was called, the clock started to count a couple of seconds later, so they were not in sync. Berki looked up the clock and then he started the routine 32-33 seconds after his name was called. He said he never did such a mistake before, and as always, he was very humble and said that he is glad that the won the silver and that Belyavskiy did a wonderful routine.

Another good news is, that Zsofi Kovacs won the silver in the all-round competition, no other Hungarian was able to achieve this success before (not even Onodi, her best result in the all-round was a bronze in 1990). This is a superb, and I'm very happy for her and the team. :)

The neutral deduction for Berki was stupid. :biggrin: But at least it happened here and not at Worlds so he should remember to speed up his mount in the future! Belyavsky did a great job though as well.

I watched the AA here! Personally I thought Kovacs should have won over Downie... :slink: But at least she's starting to hit regularly! I think last year at Europeans she would've qualified 2nd or 3rd to the AA if there was a competition.... there was just the team final and individual event finals since it was an Olympic year. I love her gymnastics!

Anyone watching the European Championships? Podium training for ladies was broadcasted on television today. You can find some of the videos on this channel. Some of the well known gymnasts include Sanne Wevers, Catalina Ponor, Larisa Iordache, Eythora Thorsdottir, Becky & Ellie Downie and Angelina Melnikova.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FullGymnastics

This is Larisa Iordache's "official" return to competition after missing Euros and Olympics last year. She's doing beam and uneven bars. She and Catalina rearranged their beam elements to fit the new code of points.

Iordache beam
https://youtu.be/BTGdARs46hY

Iordache uneven bars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUbbaw3oS80

Ponor beam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxNL3y4sdA

Yay Larisa! I'm so glad she qualified first for the beam final tomorrow. Hopefully she doesn't pull a Iordache and fall on her BHS-back full like she usually does. :noshake: I love her beam mount, too. I think a healthy Iordache could win the AA in Montreal which would make me so happy. But get healthy first! Her last year was a disaster so I'm rooting for her.

yude

Record Breaker
Hi, NHK Trophy has just ended right now and Uchimura won his 9th consecutive title. Shirai finished in the 2nd and it was really good fight, only 0.35 point gap in the result. Both of them were qualified in the Worlds and looked very happy :) Tanaka was in the 3rd and Kato was in the 8th.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hi, NHK Trophy has just ended right now and Uchimura won his 9th consecutive title. Shirai finished in the 2nd and it was really good fight, only 0.35 point gap in the result. Both of them were qualified in the Worlds and looked very happy :) Tanaka was in the 3rd and Kato was in the 8th.

I just finished watching it. A close, close race.
I'm sorry about Kato, I think he's a bit injured. So he's off the team. But it gives him time to recover.

yude

Record Breaker
I just finished watching it. A close, close race.
I'm sorry about Kato, I think he's a bit injured. So he's off the team. But it gives him time to recover.

Yeah, I hope Kato will be in good shape and make to the Worlds. Do you know what happened to Yamamuro? Was he there?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yeah, I hope Kato will be in good shape and make to the Worlds. Do you know what happened to Yamamuro? Was he there?

I don't think Kato will make it this year, he's too far behind in the placements, maybe next season. I didn't see Koji at all in the broadcast.