Figure Skating Anime | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Still can't believe the 2nd placement without major mistake. Did the other guy do a 4A that didn't get shown or something. :dev2::

He had something like 2 triples then half point, quad, quad combo and that weird combo with the 3F-1Lo-2F at the end which means we're missing some jumps there but they didn't mention it. He needs to equal Yuuri's score first, nvm beat it by 20 points :laugh:

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
Doesn't the anime creator have people he/she consults regarding the skating part? Surely it's easy to notice Yuuri can't possibly get 2nd with that performance?

Seems like so much effort was put into the show to mess up something like this...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
They do but I think they went with plot over accuracy here and then relied on the general audience being the majority audience.

How many people would watch that routine, and then even know there are jumps missing :laugh: I actually saw someone on Tumblr saying how presentation scores must be huge for Phichit but during the skate, Phichit actually laments not only his lack of quads but his lower scores in the five components. Of course that makes sense, as Yuuri's pretty much Patrick/Yuzu combined when it comes to PCS but they have no clue! They also hid Yuuri's scores. So for a superficial viewer, it all probably made wonderful sense. I do wish they upped Phichit's SP score a bit to make it more realistic.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^I'm guessing they went for Rule of Drama, because now both Yuris have a silver. As long as they don't be all "oh, one of them HAS to win Cup of russia and whoever doesn't win won't qualify!", it could still work.

But I agree the scoring has created a serious plothole and if they're not careful there's going to be some serious continuity snarls. The BV charts are freely available online...surely it wouldn't be that hard to have one person in the department whose job it is to do some basic addition.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
^^
That's a very good point. Did they ever bother explaining how the top 6 are ranked? IIRC they just said the top 6 advance, not how they get the placing. Hopefully they avoid any unnecessary drama because of course J-Yuri will qualify. I do have a mild spoiler though, for Rostelecom and episode 9:

The Ep 9 summary just says “Free Skating Program - Victor winds up going back to Japan”

So that's weird.

eta

Medalist
The placements would have made a lot more sense if they made Phichit a bit better than "having one quad and less PCS than others." Maybe they were going for the "underdog" thing - which seems popular in sports anime - but just too under this time...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

You have to highlight it to see it, I white it out but as there's a second one now too, I'll put both together:

The Ep 9 summary just says “Free Skating Program - Victor winds up going back to Japan”

In Moscow, the site of the final GPS competition, the Rostelecom Cup, Katsuki Yuuri enthusiastically vows, “I’m going to show all of Russia my love…” Yurio struggles to escape from the curse of performing in his home country. But standing in his way is JJ, the new powerhouse of North America…!!

The second one is episode 8.

treeloving

Medalist
I try to think of reasonable scheme that makes Yuri lost in case that he and Phichit has the same pcs. It should be because he ur some of his jump as well as pop the jump that is not shown. The commentator might said he make the rotation, but they are not Shin Amano so.....

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I try to think of reasonable scheme that makes Yuri lost in case that he and Phichit has the same pcs. It should be because he ur some of his jump as well as pop the jump that is not shown. The commentator might said he make the rotation, but they are not Shin Amano so.....

His protocol must be swimming in carrots (perhaps he even got a downgrade on that 4F) and he must have gotten wrong edges on both his Lz and his F, and he must have lost many levels on his spins and steps :laugh:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i thought phichit's short was very junior-ish
don't even remember his freeskate, i think it was also to the same movie so also junior-ish

surprised yuuri didn't win since he had more quads and better PCS (according to the audience, commentator, ect.)

but he probably lost GOE in some of the jumps, but still lol

i don't really mind the consistency of the scoring though, it's a work of fiction. no big deal.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

You mean he was treated like Rika at CoC? :laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

Frankly, I doubt that. The jumps were shown so he didn't pop anything and I think it would be way too much to think he's suddenly URing his jumps and not making others. He's not exactly a kid just showing up, he is a well known top skater, nerves or not.

We're not even the only people commenting, one of the Yuzu fans on tumblr reblogged a post where someone calculated for equal PCS, better spins, better steps for Phichit and he was still missing some 15 points. :laugh:

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
Frankly, I doubt that. The jumps were shown so he didn't pop anything and I think it would be way too much to think he's suddenly URing his jumps and not making others. He's not exactly a kid just showing up, he is a well known top skater, nerves or not.

We're not even the only people commenting, one of the Yuzu fans on tumblr reblogged a post where someone calculated for equal PCS, better spins, better steps for Phichit and he was still missing some 15 points. :laugh:

Would you mind sharing the link? If it's not too much trouble.

frida80

Record Breaker
Phichit's coach said that Phichit had natural charisma, which Yuri lacks. And indicated the crowd loved him. But if that was the case, his short program a lot higher. I've wrapped my head around it and I still don't understand this logic. Phichit should've gotten a bronze and Yuri should've gotten his imperfect gold.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Would you mind sharing the link? If it's not too much trouble.

http://nattou-j.tumblr.com/

There, on page one you'll see people calculating Yuuri's program, seeing he would have won then going but there must be something, basically, the authors know what they're doing, insert excuses because uh oh but if you go back, page three I think, there's a post with both programs, that talks about same PCS, etc, and still gets Yuuri's victory.

Phichit's coach said that Phichit had natural charisma, which Yuri lacks. And indicated the crowd loved him. But if that was the case, his short program a lot higher. I've wrapped my head around it and I still don't understand this logic. Phichit should've gotten a bronze and Yuri should've gotten his imperfect gold.

It's called plot logic :laugh: I am not even sure what the whole Yuuri lacks charisma means to be honest. First they harp about his incredible presentation and PCS scores, Victor tells him in that Japan Sectionals competition that his PCS pulled him through, he scores insane PCS on the short, Phichit goes how he is better than him, and then :scratch2:

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
http://nattou-j.tumblr.com/

There, on page one you'll see people calculating Yuuri's program, seeing he would have won then going but there must be something, basically, the authors know what they're doing, insert excuses because uh oh but if you go back, page three I think, there's a post with both programs, that talks about same PCS, etc, and still gets Yuuri's victory.

It's called plot logic :laugh: I am not even sure what the whole Yuuri lacks charisma means to be honest. First they harp about his incredible presentation and PCS scores, Victor tells him in that Japan Sectionals competition that his PCS pulled him through, he scores insane PCS on the short, Phichit goes how he is better than him, and then :scratch2:

It's just fiction, but the more I think about it, the crazier I think this result is. I hope enough fans contacted the creator because it's really distracting now, even if we were to accept the results were just a work of drama over realism AND the judging system is just vastly different where a fall equals negative five points or something.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I know this was what some looked for but it's just now been released. Full ED

ユーリ!!! on ICE - ED theme song (full version)
Artist: Wataru Hatano

It's just fiction, but the more I think about it, the crazier I think this result is. I hope enough fans contacted the creator because it's really distracting now, even if we were to accept the results were just a work of drama over realism AND the judging system is just vastly different where a fall equals negative five points or something.

To be honest, I doubt it because the fans are crazy protective, they are in the can do no wrong stage. Look at the huffy answers on Tumblr over the matter.