Figure Skating Anime | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And that seemingly weird spoiler for episode 9 makes sense now, why does this have to happen, poor Makkachin, poor Yuri being reminded of last year's tragedy with Vicchan right before his FS

I've managed to see it now and I think Makkachin is going to be just fine, they just had to remove Victor so that not only Yuuri can see he can skate without him but to set up the final plot of what happens with Victor. There was that press conference where they asked Victor if he wanted to skate against Yuuri, then the start of the anime where Yuuri wants to compete with Victor on the same ice and the ongoing will he leave post GPF. Maybe they will even throw in the whole Yuuri does great in the FS, so Victor starts wondering if Yuuri truly even needs him now plot.
TBH I honestly don't know how it'll end. Usually one can guess, here it's pretty open.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
I think Makkachin is going to be just fine, they just had to remove Victor so that not only Yuuri can see he can skate without him but to set up the final plot of what happens with Victor. There was that press conference where they asked Victor if he wanted to skate against Yuuri on the ice, then the start of the anime where Yuuri wants to compete with Victor on the same ice and the whole will he leave post GPF. Maybe they will even throw in the whole Yuuri does great in the FS, so Victor starts wondering if Yuuri truly even needs him now plot.
TBH I honestly don't know how it'll end. Usually one can guess, here it's pretty open.

I actually think Yuri won't do so well because 1. Victor not there and 2. flashback to last year with Vicchan, but he well qualify for GPF (because plot). They stressed that Yuri can qualify for GPF as long as he finishes 4th or better here - I haven't checked the math myself yet - maybe as a forecast that he won't be at his best during the FS while making sure the audience do not question him qualifying. With not many episodes left and uncertain about a next season I wonder how the creators are going to introduce new plot twists.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I actually think Yuri won't do so well because 1. Victor not there and 2. flashback to last year with Vicchan, but he well qualify for GPF (because plot). They stressed that Yuri can qualify for GPF as long as he finishes 4th or better here - I haven't checked the math myself yet - maybe as a forecast that he won't be at his best during the FS while making sure the audience do not question him qualifying. With not many episodes left and uncertain about a next season I wonder how the creators are going to introduce new plot twists.

Yes, it's definitely an option too, for me I'd prefer them not to because I would like to see growth on Yuuri's part where he is confident enough without Victor. He doesn't have to be perfect and I don't think we'll see a clean FS before GPF from him but I'd kind of like to see him overcome his anxiety without Victor there too. But on the other hand, yes, they might make him bomb and the whole number four is telegraphing that he'll qualify but ...
I think if there is a season 2 it'll be more likely that Victor skates again and they train together so whatever clashes come from that but who knows!
Oh and I did find one person I don't like in this anime. JJ actually really annoys me. I don't like him at all.
:unsure:

GF2445

Record Breaker
No!! Victor's dog. Very sad.

Happy that they turned the fan service down in comparison to the last couple of episodes.
Its funny to see the contrast- Yuuri having lots of skating friends to hang out with in China but no one in Russia.

The emotionless Korean skater was hilarious.

And JJ....well....

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
LOL Seug-gil reminds me JGP Yuna! And those mind calculations too :laugh:

note: DW mentioned that Yuna wasn't exactly a "happy" skater in her JGP years in his TSL interview and also this was when she wasn't with Orser yet.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Mickey has...a very interesting relationship with Sala. :unsure:

Idk what to think about JJ......:rofl: It's JJ style! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

eta

Medalist
Yes, it's definitely an option too, for me I'd prefer them not to because I would like to see growth on Yuuri's part where he is confident enough without Victor. He doesn't have to be perfect and I don't think we'll see a clean FS before GPF from him but I'd kind of like to see him overcome his anxiety without Victor there too. But on the other hand, yes, they might make him bomb and the whole number four is telegraphing that he'll qualify but ...
I think if there is a season 2 it'll be more likely that Victor skates again and they train together so whatever clashes come from that but who knows!
Oh and I did find one person I don't like in this anime. JJ actually really annoys me. I don't like him at all.
:unsure:

Regarding Yuri's anxiety, I think this time it won't be as bad because he was able to make it through CoC when he had to deal with being first after SP so that's good at least.

If there is a season 2 in which Yuri and Victor are competing against each other, I really can't see how Yuri can win. Sure he's made great progress so far, but Victor is just way ahead of not only Yuri but also everyone else. Given more time, Yuri may be able to surpass Victor, and even that is a big maybe. Yet with Yuri being the main character I can't see the creators not make him win...

So far the only character I don't like is Yurio, just because he's 15 doesn't make it okay for him to be so rude... plus being on the international stage and doing as well as he did means he not only represents himself, but also his coach, his country, etc. and such horrible manners and attitude is just not excusable...

TMC

Record Breaker
Just watched it with my husband, who got surprisingly into it and now wants to watch all of it!

Is JJ supposed to be based on Chan?

eta

Medalist
Just watched it with my husband, who got surprisingly into it and now wants to watch all of it!

Is JJ supposed to be based on Chan?

I'm pretty sure none of the characters are supposed be based on any particular real person. Imagine the drama that would cause among fans.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
We are driving karne crazy again :laugh:

Regarding Yuri's anxiety, I think this time it won't be as bad because he was able to make it through CoC when he had to deal with being first after SP so that's good at least.
If there is a season 2 in which Yuri and Victor are competing against each other, I really can't see how Yuri can win. .

Yes though one thing I am looking forward to is the I think inevitable talk between Yakov and Yuuri. I wonder how that'll go. It's bound to be about Victor.

True but then remember last episode? Yuuri just flipped the quads because why not :laugh: I agree none of them seem even close to what Victor showed in the opening episode but it's anime world so as we've seen they can do whatever they want.
I look at Yurio as someone who is a typical tsundere. The way he sits in the K&C, that'd simply never happen, even if he were a total jerk so it's all exaggerated. I mostly ignore him as I've never liked characters of that kind so I guess I've got practice.

eta

Medalist
We are driving karne crazy again :laugh:

Yes though one thing I am looking forward to is the I think inevitable talk between Yakov and Yuuri. I wonder how that'll go. It's bound to be about Victor.

True but then remember last episode? Yuuri just flipped the quads because why not :laugh: I agree none of them seem even close to what Victor showed in the opening episode but it's anime world so as we've seen they can do whatever they want.
I look at Yurio as someone who is a typical tsundere. The way he sits in the K&C, that'd simply never happen, even if he were a total jerk so it's all exaggerated. I mostly ignore him as I've never liked characters of that kind so I guess I've got practice.

It's just that other tsundere act one way in front of others while secretly feeling different, but Yurio actually acts the way he feels - which is actually less annoying than the usual tsundere - but I still don't like him. But I do mostly ignore him as well.

Since Victor is asking Yakov to substitute as Yuri's coach, and as a coach he is supposed to be supportive and be a positive influence, I'm so very curious to see how the talk is going to go, especially with Yakov's temper :laugh:

As for anime logic, well it's already happened with Yuri's silver at CoC so I suppose it can happen again. IMO the only way Victor can lose without being injured etc. is by anime logic.

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure none of the characters are supposed be based on any particular real person. Imagine the drama that would cause among fans.

The YoI Twitter account did tweet a pic of Leo and his coach next to a photo of Jason and Rohene. That got me thinking that they actually are based on real people, at least some of them.

eta

Medalist
The YoI Twitter account did tweet a pic of Leo and his coach next to a photo of Jason and Rohene. That got me thinking that they actually are based on real people, at least some of them.

Well yes the inspiration of some characters, certainly. Yurio and Julia, Yuri and Machida, etc. regarding background, style, etc. Probably not stuff like personality though as least not directly.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Since Victor is asking Yakov to substitute as Yuri's coach, and as a coach he is supposed to be supportive and be a positive influence, I'm so very curious to see how the talk is going to go, especially with Yakov's temper :laugh:

Yuuri may end up defending Victor, and by that I mean his value as a coach. That temper might cause Yakov to lash out at Victor causing him to speak up because somehow I don't see Yuuri getting riled up for anything but that. This may get him through his FS too, showing Victor's a good coach by being a good student? Lots of possibilities.

eta

Medalist
Yuuri may end up defending Victor, and by that I mean his value as a coach. That temper might cause Yakov to lash out at Victor causing him to speak up because somehow I don't see Yuuri getting riled up for anything but that. This may get him through his FS too, showing Victor's a good coach by being a good student? Lots of possibilities.

Ooooh that sounds very good. Fingers crossed for this to happen:thumbsup:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
JJ is so arrogant! everything about his packaging just reeks ego :noshake:

i kind of wish they would show us less programs and show us more of the behind the scenes stuff going on before they head onto the ice. although i understand that it would be a bit of a letdown to show us behind-the-scenes drama (whether it's hyping yourself up or getting nervous) without showing us the performance.

i read spoilers that said things would heat up in episode 8 between viktor and yuuri but it so far doesn't seem that way? besides the dog thing. i suppose i was expecting more fan-service like in ep 7 heh.

it was nice to see yurio with his grandpa

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I have to say I thought it was a bit of a disappointing episode. Not much character development for the 3 main characters and no development of the Yuri/Victor relationship. Like after last week's episode that was really weird, it seem it didn't actually follow ep7 at all.
I can't even say the skating or competition was that interesting. I thought the programs at COC were more interesting and with nicer music too. That guy going for quad loop landed forward btw. Downgrade!! :noshake:
that brother/sister relationship is super weird also.
no gonna lie I loved Seun Gil's character and his piñata costume. That "no" was so funny.
I got my wish with JJ, the huge ego arrogant guy i am already loving to hate. can't believe he got WR (i mean i guess with 4lz in the second half it does make sense)
finally the maccachin thing happening came out of nowhere and feels a bit silly. I do agree with u guys it is to create drama and see how Yuuri does without Victor (either bombs or begins to realises he can do it by himself) and i guess it could be a great idea in retrospective but i still felt it was silly in this episode.

All in all a bit disappointed. The one thing that really saves it tho was the stream realness. I can't believe the accuracy with the triplets and the dance instructor watching the GP in a buffering stream in the middle of the night and finishing on rossiya sport stream!! Only real fans will get it but man did it do it for me. Best part of the episode right there.