Figure Skating @ SEA Games 2017 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating @ SEA Games 2017

madgef

Spectator
Is there a video of sea games figure skating? I really want to know what happened to Martinez to have that low SP score

By far the best quality videos I found on Youtube:
Julian Yee SP
https://youtu.be/y89UJX6Li9U

Kai Xiang Zhou SP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r05QEHgxJo4&spfreload=10

Michael Christian Martinez SP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZMFrwUNDdE&spfreload=10
This video is missing MCM's first combo jump 3Lz3T though. Michael just arrived in KL the day before the competition (all flights to KL sold out after his first flight had malfunction issue), so I guess there's not much time for him to practice...

da96103

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Julian!

Men's Competition
1st: Julian Yee
2nd: Michael CM
3rd: Chew KX

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Ladies Results (FS + TOTAL)

Ladies FS:
1. Chloe Ing (SGP) - 82.93

2. Shuran Yu (SGP) - 82.24

3. Natalie Sangkagalo (THA) - 73.50

4. Aliasson Perticheto (PHI) - 64.86

5. Aneeta Lingam (MAS) - 58.44

6. Thita Lamsam (THA) - 53.20

7. Aina Sorfina Mohd Aminudin (MAS) - 51.83

8. Erika Sanjaya (INA) - 51.75

9. Tasya Putri (INA) - 47.78

Ladies FINAL RESULT:
1. Shuran Yu (SGP) - 135.52

2. Chloe Ing (SGP) - 128.62

3. Aliasson Perticheto (PHI) - 113.40

4. Natalie Sangkagalo (THA) - 112.89

5. Aneeta Lingam (MAS) - 82.68

6. Tasya Putri (INA) - 77.47

7. Thita Lamsam (THA) - 79.04

8. Erika Sanjaya (INA) - 73.85

9. Aina Sorfina Mohd Aminudin (MAS) - 69.30

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Men Results (FS + TOTAL)

Men FS:
Men's FS:

1. Julian Zhi Jie Yee (MAS) - 132.40

2. Michael Christian Martinez (PHI) - 116.89

3. Kai Xiang Chew (MAS) - 97.81

4. Micah Kai Lynette (THA) - 83.18

5. Alberto Widjaja (INA) - 80.88

6. Jules Alpe (PHI) - 71.75

7. William Sutrisna (INA) - 58.34

8. Bunthoeurn Sen (CAM) - 25.31

9. Panha Khiev (CAM) - 24.61

Men FINAL RESULT:
1. Julian Zhi Jie Yee (MAS) - 205.43

2. Michael Christian Martinez (PHI) - 171.63

3. Kai Xiang Chew (MAS) - 145.52

4. Micah Kai Lynette (THA) - 137.81

5. Alberto Widjaja (INA) - 119.60

6. Jules Alpe (PHI) - 112.89

7. William Sutrisna (INA) - 96.67

8. Bunthoeurn Sen (CAM) - 36.23

9. Panha Khiev (CAM) - 32.41

sam123

On the Ice
A few points about this year's inaugural SEA Games in Figure Skating:

1) While I like the crowd being enthusiastic and all (maybe because of their support for the home boys, the first winter sport to be competed in SEA yadda yadda yadda), I do admit that the crowd was hella enthusiastic. While watching the livestream, my ears hurt from all the screams lol that was one hella screamin' game in there

2) Cheating claims. Now this is what made my blood boil a little. I noticed some who supported MCM (don't take it the wrong way, I support him too) said that Malaysia paid the judges to sabotage his chances to win gold. I actually did get a little fed up hearing those "claims" to the point I wondered if they even watch the videos at all, with the whole competition being uploaded in social media. Can we just live and let live? Don't let the friendship of these 2 boys be shattered just because of fans trying to make them look like "bitter rivals". We've seen what happened to Yuna & Mao.

3) The future for figure skating in SEA seems to have a really bright future. Micah from Thailand is a talent to look out for. His artistry & step sequence are quite pretty, albeit there's a bit of improvement needed for him to get better. Kai Xiang Chew as well. Boy reminds me of Julian back in 2014, Jules Alpes is clearly following in MCM's footsteps to be the next Pinoy figure skater to watch out for. Indonesian boys! I am so entertained by them! Cambodia too! (Was SG in the mens' competition)

4) Just something extra: MCM and Julian are close buddies. Heck, Julian appeared in MCM's vlogs as well. I am not liking the media trying to pit them together. I'll be honest: it's disgusting to see how fans are trying to sabotage their friendship. Some even went to the extent of calling Julian a cheat in his social media pages. (I do hope MCM see those comments and call them out)

That's all for my rants. Thank you for reading 'till the end!

mirai_asada

On the Ice
3) The future for figure skating in SEA seems to have a really bright future. Micah from Thailand is a talent to look out for. His artistry & step sequence are quite pretty, albeit there's a bit of improvement needed for him to get better. Kai Xiang Chew as well. Boy reminds me of Julian back in 2014, Jules Alpes is clearly following in MCM's footsteps to be the next Pinoy figure skater to watch out for. Indonesian boys! I am so entertained by them! Cambodia too! (Was SG in the mens' competition)

Nope, Singapore didn't send anyone for the men's competition since we currently have up to 2 Junior level male skaters.

Oh dear, don't tell me the "cheating" claims?

Nah, certain Singaporeans are saying she's ungrateful because she was unhappy with her flawed free skate despite winning the gold. (Which is a common reaction skaters have? They strive for a perfect performance after all.) Plus, the xenophobia because she was born in Beijing and not Singapore. >___>

Sherlock Marple

On the Ice
This video is missing MCM's first combo jump 3Lz3T though. Michael just arrived in KL the day before the competition (all flights to KL sold out after his first flight had malfunction issue), so I guess there's not much time for him to practice...

I guess that explains much. But the comments in this vid are so....:gaah:.
This is one of the reasons why I barely read comments in Youtube these days. :shrug:

Anyway, congrats to Julian, Michael and Kai for winning gold, silver and bronze respectively. :)

madgef

Spectator
Nope, Singapore didn't send anyone for the men's competition since we currently have up to 2 Junior level male skaters.

Nah, certain Singaporeans are saying she's ungrateful because she was unhappy with her flawed free skate despite winning the gold. (Which is a common reaction skaters have? They strive for a perfect performance after all.) Plus, the xenophobia because she was born in Beijing and not Singapore. >___>

Some comments are not just rude but offensive. Jessica Yu merely mentioned she popped jumps and so in the interview, but I'm totally shocked at the viciousness of those comments left under her video. How pathetic those narrow-minded nativists are! They certainly forgot she strove to be the first female skater representing Singapore at Worlds and did pretty well (3t3t) there.

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
By far the best quality videos I found on Youtube:
Julian Yee SP
https://youtu.be/y89UJX6Li9U

Kai Xiang Zhou SP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r05QEHgxJo4&spfreload=10

fall and under-rotated 3A, and botched a spin

Thanks!

TBH it's saddening to see Martinez have that kind of performance...I know he can do better. With that, I am thinking is his CoC2015 performance his best? hopefully not🤞🏻

He is 20 now tho in real life he's still very young but in FS world being 20 means you're closer to retirement. That means he should have created his own legacy by now. But it's not too late for him and hopefully this coming nebelhorn trophy he will recover what he lost and be qualified for #PCWO2018. I still have high hope for him and I will still support him.

sam123

On the Ice
I feel that all the winners here were ridiculed for no reason at all. Over the past few days after the event ended socmed's been peppered with so much hate that you wonder what made them deserve all this treatment. MCM was called "embarrassing" and told to "retire" because of his silver medal. Julian's instagram account is filled with comments by people calling him "anjing" (dog) and "goblok" (stupid) while at the same time people were chiding him "hoping that he won honestly" (these comments were mostly by Indonesians who has a long stupid weird war with Malaysia). Shuran on the other hand was called "ungrateful" and "not a true Singaporean" because she's training in Beijing. Sigh.....if its about sports, I have to admit. Coming from a SEA country, the rivalry can be so bitter to the point it becomes too childish and petty you can't believe these people are adults. National pride? Patriotism? Yeah its good, but don't let these feelings cloud logical thinking to the point you think you have the right question the validity of the results. Butthurt children. :palmf: :palmf:

alohvera

Rinkside
Some comments are not just rude but offensive. Jessica Yu merely mentioned she popped jumps and so in the interview, but I'm totally shocked at the viciousness of those comments left under her video. How pathetic those narrow-minded nativists are! They certainly forgot she strove to be the first female skater representing Singapore at Worlds and did pretty well (3t3t) there.

As a Singaporean myself it's hard not to be ashamed of my own people :palmf: It's not the first time this (ridiculing an athlete for being born/training overseas, heck, even looking foreign) has happened and I doubt it will be the last... we are way too xenephobic for our own good

Well, in happier news, Anntopia on Facebook has some lovely shots of the event :)