Figure skating "trends" that you think will be outdated in the next few years? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Figure skating "trends" that you think will be outdated in the next few years?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure which one you are referring to. Do you have a video?
Like this one from Ilia Malinin's SP. His sit spin at the 2 minute mark. It's the last part of the spin that I'm talking about. Very popular variation but so many slow down so much when doing it.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Like this one from Ilia Malinin's SP. His sit spin at the 2 minute mark. It's the last part of the spin that I'm talking about. Very popular variation but so many slow down so much when doing it.

It's called a tuck where I skate. It's a feature, so it will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: Though it's fairly easy to not slow down during it for me. Maybe I'm just ~special~ but it took me two weeks to learn to do it well. Not sure why so many skaters struggle. I don't really watch skating much anymore so I haven't personally seen that, so I'll take your word for it. That is very strange.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I :love2: knee slides, particularly when Paul Wylie or Todd E. does them, so no qualms with those.
But those are good knee slides done for good reasons. Many knee slides of late are bereft of emotion or choreographic significance. So maybe it is okay to have complicated feelings about knee slides and their staying power.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Bad music in FS is not a trend, is it? It is just the way it has always been.

But I do wish that Nathan Chen's most lasting legacy in FS is something else than the long-sleeved T-shirt replacing a proper costume.

E

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Except for Gabby and Guillaume's audiobook weird French programs are an institution. Long may they reign :laugh2:

Don't worry, weird French Ice Dance programmes will continue to reign.

I have been watching the Open d'Andorra this week, and there are 4 French partnerships entered in the Junior Ice Dance. And during the Shorts yesterday, two of those partnerships had really weird programmes. (Admittedly, they didn't score as highly as the two French partnerships that had more conventional programmes).

It'll never stop, because they are being taught to be weird from early on!!!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Again, this also applies to sliding moves. I enjoy watching sliding moves but they have become quite excessive in some programmes.

This is a trend I definitely want to see become outdated. Choreographic slides and rolling about on the ice should never have been allowed in competition programmes. It is becoming so hard now to tell the difference between choreography and a fall or a hand down. And, as a result, it is becoming a lot easier to cover up a fall or a hand down and pass it off as choreography.

That is not right. It was so much better back in the days when, if your body touched the ice at all, it would bring about a penalty of some sort (the severity depending on whether it was a fall or a hand down). It made everything simpler to understand for everybody. And made it so much harder to bend the rules.

No, keep these fancy things for the exhibition programmes.

CaroLiza_fan

Step forward Tim Dieck to prove my point:

Katharina Müller / Tim Dieck - 2021 Open d'Andorra Short Dance

Sorry, but nobody is going to convince me that that was not a fall.

However, it is actually part of the choreography, because he did it at the Finlandia as well:

Katharina Müller / Tim Dieck - 2021 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance

Admittedly, it was a lot tidier in Finland than in Andorra.

When is a fall not a fall?

When it is a choreographic slide!

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I totally agree. I really thought it was a silly fall yesterday at Andorra open.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
I wish the split-second, blink and you'll miss it spirals will go out of style sooner rather than later, I like a nice spiral but not when it lasts a second. Same for any not-held position such as in lifts, although I understand this is more the rulebook's fault than the skaters'.

Most men's skating fashion is kind of boring now (pants+multi colored shirt), I would like it if we circled back to more theatrical guys costumes!

The recent cartwheel trend, it was fun when K/R did it first but it's gotten old, to me it's the same level of gimmicky as dying on ice, it has nothing to do with skating and doesn't belong in a competition program. (I also dislike 90% of ID sliding choreo movements, character steps and especially those midway stops in the MiSt, they're almost always embarrasing and kill the momentum of the step sequence)

Also adding another vote for voiceovers, I think those will age badly, as well as sound effects like smashing glass etc.

Last edited:

ChiGal

Rinkside
Cheesy, overly decorated and accessorized costumes...especially in the ladies events! Beaded gloves, sequined headbands, sparkly tiaras, bedazzled chiffon in excess. Need I say more? I think Mariah Bell's costumes are a refreshing change this year!