First pair of skates for adult and am I overbooting? | Golden Skate

First pair of skates for adult and am I overbooting?

3dgy

Spectator
Hi, sorry if this is a topic that's been discussed somewhere but i would appreciate all of the insights.
I am an adult (22yrs) thinking of getting serious into figure skating. I am 163cm/55kg (5'4"/120lbs?), but i've never had or even try on proper skates before. I haven't done any lessons yet since the rinks are still closed where i live. There's only one pro shop in my city and they only sell Jackson Excel and Freestyle, Risport Antares, and Edea Ice Fly (but i know this one might be too advance and way over budget for me). So I don't have much to choose from...

I'm leaning more towards the Jackson Freestyle or Risport Antares because it seems to have the right support for my goal (full rotation jumps, maybe axel). But i'm afraid that I am "overbooting" in the beginning and it will hinder my progress. To note, I have experience in recreational ice skating and i've skated on inline/roller blade before. Right now I can do one foot glides, swizzles, stroking, and crossovers on my inline. Since i have somewhat know the basic I'm thinking of getting a pair that can last longer and help me advance quicker.

One other thing that I'm concerned is if I buy the more advanced skates in the beginning, by the time i do the advanced moves the boot will already broken down. Since I'm not sure how long they usually last. Although for regular shoes I think I'm pretty light on my feet (most of my shoes lasts for quite a long time usually). I'll be buying the shoes with my own money so I don't want to keep buying a new pair every couple of months.

So what do you guys I think I should choose? And if you have experience with these shoes it would be greatly appreciated if you can share your experience with them! :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi, sorry if this is a topic that's been discussed somewhere but i would appreciate all of the insights.
I am an adult (22yrs) thinking of getting serious into figure skating. I am 163cm/55kg (5'4"/120lbs?), but i've never had or even try on proper skates before. I haven't done any lessons yet since the rinks are still closed where i live. There's only one pro shop in my city and they only sell Jackson Excel and Freestyle, Risport Antares, and Edea Ice Fly (but i know this one might be too advance and way over budget for me). So I don't have much to choose from...

I'm leaning more towards the Jackson Freestyle or Risport Antares because it seems to have the right support for my goal (full rotation jumps, maybe axel). But i'm afraid that I am "overbooting" in the beginning and it will hinder my progress. To note, I have experience in recreational ice skating and i've skated on inline/roller blade before. Right now I can do one foot glides, swizzles, stroking, and crossovers on my inline. Since i have somewhat know the basic I'm thinking of getting a pair that can last longer and help me advance quicker.

One other thing that I'm concerned is if I buy the more advanced skates in the beginning, by the time i do the advanced moves the boot will already broken down. Since I'm not sure how long they usually last. Although for regular shoes I think I'm pretty light on my feet (most of my shoes lasts for quite a long time usually). I'll be buying the shoes with my own money so I don't want to keep buying a new pair every couple of months.

So what do you guys I think I should choose? And if you have experience with these shoes it would be greatly appreciated if you can share your experience with them! :)
If you let us know where in the world you are, maybe somebody can suggest an appropriate fitter for you...

I think Jackson Freestyle or Risport Antares would be appropriate choices for your level (Edea Ice Fly would definitely NOT and Jackson Excel is way too light on support) but it also comes down to what suits your feet. You really need to be fitted properly.

As to how long they last, it varies with every skater. Some need at least one pair of boots per year, others wear them for six years or more. Depends on your skating style, how often you skate, whether they are the right boots for you or not, etc.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, if you let me know where you are in the world I usually know who to send you to for a proper fitting.
You definitely don't need ice fly. If your foot ends up working for a Risport, you need the Electra, not the antares. The Antares will not be stiff enough for you. As far as Jackson skates, Freestyle. Excel will definitely not be stiff enough, it's their lowest rated boot.

Welcome to the world of skating! :) If you need anything else just ask! Good luck! :cool:

3dgy

Spectator
If you let us know where in the world you are, maybe somebody can suggest an appropriate fitter for you...

I think Jackson Freestyle or Risport Antares would be appropriate choices for your level (Edea Ice Fly would definitely NOT and Jackson Excel is way too light on support) but it also comes down to what suits your feet. You really need to be fitted properly.

As to how long they last, it varies with every skater. Some need at least one pair of boots per year, others wear them for six years or more. Depends on your skating style, how often you skate, whether they are the right boots for you or not, etc.
Yes, if you let me know where you are in the world I usually know who to send you to for a proper fitting.
You definitely don't need ice fly. If your foot ends up working for a Risport, you need the Electra, not the antares. The Antares will not be stiff enough for you. As far as Jackson skates, Freestyle. Excel will definitely not be stiff enough, it's their lowest rated boot.

Welcome to the world of skating! :) If you need anything else just ask! Good luck! :cool:
Thank you for your replies!
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Ice skating isn’t a very popular sport here. I’m not even sure if the shop here is actually a pro shop or just a shop that sells skates…:/ Therefore i don’t know if they can actually fit me or not.

I don’t have a particularly wide foot but I’m scared that I’m prone to bunions haha. I heard that Risport tends to be narrower than Jackson, is that true?

Apart from the skates I mentioned, I checked another store has Jackson Elle and Competitor (deadstock, only kids size available). They don’t have Risport Electra anywhere, I think they have more advanced one like Royal.

Do you think I’m aiming too high, from beginner level to single jumps without a boot upgrade?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your replies!
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Ice skating isn’t a very popular sport here. I’m not even sure if the shop here is actually a pro shop or just a shop that sells skates…:/ Therefore i don’t know if they can actually fit me or not.

I don’t have a particularly wide foot but I’m scared that I’m prone to bunions haha. I heard that Risport tends to be narrower than Jackson, is that true?

Apart from the skates I mentioned, I checked another store has Jackson Elle and Competitor (deadstock, only kids size available). They don’t have Risport Electra anywhere, I think they have more advanced one like Royal.

Do you think I’m aiming too high, from beginner level to single jumps without a boot upgrade?
First of all if your current boots are broken down or not strong enough for you, please don't do much of anything in them. Also, Risport are not more narrow than Jackson. You really need to get fit and know what is right for your foot, I understand it's hard where you are though. There is a Risport dealer/contact in Malaysia (closest to you in Indonesia) I will DM you his info and maybe he can help you out. I will tell you straight up though that both Royal models in Risport are WAY over your needs and too stiff for you, they are for triples and quad jumps. You might also want to look into Graf skates, I can send you info to contact a dealer since the closest is Malaysia. A good option that is Asia based is Golden Horse skates (boots), those may work out for you, here is a link to the Loop boots which would be sufficient for your current and near future skill levels.

nomi darling

On the Ice

I've always wanted to get back into lessons, but never made the time. The local rink and club are literally 10 minutes from m

I hope this reply isn't too late to be of use to you! I too am an adult skater (albeit at 52, more than twice your age), a bit heavier (59?kg and muscular) and ever-so-slightly shorter than you. With the exception of a single session in rentals skates, I've been in Jackson Freestyles since I began skating this spring. I haven't for a moment regretted my choice, as they accommodate my foot size and shape and have offered enough support to feel stable on all my single rotation jumps - even in spite of some minimal arthritis in my landing hip (admittedly, I can't speak to the axel as I'm nursing an injury at the moment that is preventing me from even training either on ice or off, but that is the fault of a stress fracture from a fall and is in no way related to my equipment).

Obviously, I haven't much experience to know any better, but I can see these lasting another year without complaint. If your foot shape is complimented by the Jackson profile, I'd say go for it! Note: I switched my original Aspire XP blades to Coronation Aces a couple weeks ago and cannot stop singing their praises to the heavens. The upgrade was worth every last penny and then some, but I think it would have been much more challenging to learn on them and am glad I had a few month's skating experience before doing that. Your mileage may vary :)

Welcome to this wonderful world!!

3dgy

Spectator
I hope this reply isn't too late to be of use to you! I too am an adult skater (albeit at 52, more than twice your age), a bit heavier (59?kg and muscular) and ever-so-slightly shorter than you. With the exception of a single session in rentals skates, I've been in Jackson Freestyles since I began skating this spring. I haven't for a moment regretted my choice, as they accommodate my foot size and shape and have offered enough support to feel stable on all my single rotation jumps - even in spite of some minimal arthritis in my landing hip (admittedly, I can't speak to the axel as I'm nursing an injury at the moment that is preventing me from even training either on ice or off, but that is the fault of a stress fracture from a fall and is in no way related to my equipment).

Obviously, I haven't much experience to know any better, but I can see these lasting another year without complaint. If your foot shape is complimented by the Jackson profile, I'd say go for it! Note: I switched my original Aspire XP blades to Coronation Aces a couple weeks ago and cannot stop singing their praises to the heavens. The upgrade was worth every last penny and then some, but I think it would have been much more challenging to learn on them and am glad I had a few month's skating experience before doing that. Your mileage may vary :)

Welcome to this wonderful world!!
Hi! I ended up buying the Jackson Freestyle and I love it! My shop only has Jackson Freestyle and Risport Antares that’s appropriate for my level, but the risport one feels slightly tighter on the balls of the feet (although it gives more knee bend, but maybe I haven’t broken in my Jackson yet).

When i first try it, nothing was pinching, my heels don’t lift up, and i can bend my knees so i feel like it was a good fit and stiffness. Yesterday i just tried it on ice, the toe pick on the aspire blade was dragging a little bit but maybe it’s just me that needs getting used having a proper toe pick (i used to do inline that has no toe pick)

And wow! Single jumps already since spring? I hope i can progress that fast hahaha. Thank you for sharing and hope you’re in good health! ❤️