Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 172 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

MelDee

Final Flight
I also think that Marie-France and P/C are a some sort of match that was unexpected in terms of choreography. She said that they are so easy to train and a dream for any choreographer.

Yes, indeed. As Marie-France herself says, she discovered herself as a choreographer with them. While it is true that PapCiz learned a lot about themselves as skaters in Montreal, I think it also goes vice versa, and that they showed M-F the way.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I also believe them to be sincere as coaches, no favoritism even though concerning Romain, his loyalty probably lies stronger with P/C but this is completely understandable. As for vision, if an ice dance team has one is Gaby and Guillaume. From their outside hobbies and passions, it's clear their artistic sides are very strong and complementary. Literature and languages for Gaby, drawing, design and dancing for him, plus interesting tastes in music make them a complete package giving them so much content to put in those programs.
I just want it to be over but at the same time I'm anxious about the results. Right now everything is possible but then ... At least, they have managed to turn around last year's disappointment and did everything possible to set themselves up for this event. Nothing to regret in any case, they have already achieved probably even more than what they had envisioned.

Anna189

Rinkside
I guess I'm the only one enjoying this season. :laugh: Yes, it's stressful and nerve-wracking at one hand, but so intriguing and full of amazing performances from the top teams on the other. The only part I hate about this season is the urgency to create a kind of a tension calling the relationship they have a rivalry. :palmf: It's hard not be so into it and not live every moment with G&G, for example (and not only during competitions), but it's just a sport, after all. As Gabby and Guillaume say themselves life goes on. So, taking their advice, I decided to just enjoy what we can see and be grateful to be able to witness such incredible talents and not to just hear about this Olympic season as an incredible part of ice dance history. :)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I guess I'm the only one enjoying this season. :laugh: Yes, it's stressful and nerve-wracking at one hand, but so intriguing and full of amazing performances from the top teams on the other. The only part I hate about this season is the urgency to create a kind of a tension calling the relationship they have a rivalry. :palmf: It's hard not be so into it and not live every moment with G&G, for example (and not only during competitions), but it's just a sport, after all. As Gabby and Guillaume say themselves life goes on. So, taking their advice, I decided to just enjoy what we can see and be grateful to be able to witness such incredible talents and not to just hear about this Olympic season as an incredible part of ice dance history. :)
Hahaha, I should take it your way, which I did in the beginning ! Actually what threw me off is the legion of ubers V/M have. Nothing wrong with that until they started spamming twitter with hashtags, tagging the skaters' name, etc. Some of them are bordeline violent, and it shocked me to see at what extent some people are ready to go for a "rivalry". It's a sport you can't have it easy.
But then when I saw that some were ready to accept them losing and in exchange "could they get married instead ?" I gave up. Not really someone who enjoys skating I guess.

I'm ignoring this now because it has become pointless everytime to say : "Look what they did better, you'll understand the scores". Whatever, I'll enjoy the performances :hb:

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
-MF : "There is going to be World records at the Games for sure. We might see a perfect score for one of the 2 teams"
Which is the team she is referring to??? What is your opinion?? And how does she know that this is going to happen??? ... I don’t know why but I think she is telling about Tessa and Scott…Maybe I am wrong but from Canadians I saw she was so moved by their performance…i think that is what she wants….sorry…but that is how I felt!!!
I Wish the best for my dear Gaby & Guillaume!!!
The quote is actually from Patrice Lauzon...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, are the blue patches on Guillaume's sleeves never gonna get washed off?

I read in another thread that costumes don't get washed, just sprayed down with cheap vodka to clean them - so maybe not! But that makes more sense for costumes with a ton of sparkly bits on them. Both Gabi's FD costume and Guillaume's should be able to be carefully dry-cleaned.

OTOH, maybe it has been and Gabi's costume still isn't colourfast, and makes new stains on Guillaume's sleeve after each in-costume practice...oh, the things skaters never had to worry about before the advent of HD television and YouTube! :laugh:

all that

Final Flight
the reality for the judges still is that MR is not as artistic or gripping or X-factor-loaded as MS, no matter how brilliantly they skate it.

The new MR hasn't been judged by international judges yet, so how do you know this to be true?

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
The new MR hasn't been judged by international judges yet, so how do you know this to be true?
Was it thàt different to you? Did it all of a sudden become something completely different? Is there a completely different feel to it? Has it all of a sudden an artistic layer that wasn't there before??
I heard different music but didn't see any difference in atmosphere or 'propos' or attitude or meaning or intent...
Was that just me??

all that

Final Flight
Was it thàt different to you? Did it all of a sudden become something completely different? Is there a completely different feel to it? Has it all of a sudden an artistic layer that wasn't there before??
I heard different music but didn't see any difference in atmosphere or 'propos' or attitude or meaning or intent...
Was that just me??

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and since I saw all of those things, then there is at least one person who differs from you, so also yes.

But I still think that PC have superior skating skills, which is why they will win.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and since I saw all of those things, then there is at least one person who differs from you, so also yes.

But I still think that PC have superior skating skills, which is why they will win.

Oh no not you the most fervent P/C fan this season ;) I thought you were often going overboard with your wild predictions but I have to be honest I did enjoy reading such enthusiastic posts :biggrin: Most people seem to think P/C's edge over V/M this year is the fact MS is a superior program to MR because most are convinced V/M are the superior skaters. Now I don't share this view obviously but what do the judges think. Are they transported because the program or the skills ? I myself hope because of both. If you think MR is on par with MS then I just hope the judges don't share your opinion tbh. OTOH you're right we have no way to know but wait for the team event.
BTW, is the team event jury and tech panel for ID the same as the individual event ?

MelDee

Final Flight
BTW, is the team event jury and tech panel for ID the same as the individual event ?

No, the panels of judges are different for these events. The biggest difference between the two is that France and Russia won't have judges in the team event.

Individual competition: Canada, France, United States, Russia, Italy, Israel, Poland, Ukraine, China, Turkey, Spain, Slovak Republic, Japan

Team event ID panel: Canada, China, Israel, Japan, Slovak Republic, Spain, United States, Turkey, Ukraine

(Info taken from this thread https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68304-Olympic-Games-Tech-Panels-and-Judges)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I don't really know if France has a chance to go the the final of the team event. It will require a fair amount of calculations for us to know how it could happen. We still don't know who is going to do the Team event in Dance either. :scratch2: Do we know when it will be known ?

cocotaffy

Final Flight
No, the panels of judges are different for these events. The biggest difference between the two is that France and Russia won't have judges in the team event.

Individual competition: Canada, France, United States, Russia, Italy, Israel, Poland, Ukraine, China, Turkey, Spain, Slovak Republic, Japan

Team event ID panel: Canada, China, Israel, Japan, Slovak Republic, Spain, United States, Turkey, Ukraine

(Info taken from this thread https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68304-Olympic-Games-Tech-Panels-and-Judges)

Thanks a lot, so I guess the tech panel will change too. I think this is a good think otherwise the team event performance could influence heavily the individual one. I find it strange Canada and US have a judge in the team event when Russia doesn't. Otherwise I'm surprised at how many time a turkish judge has been called on the ISU competitions this year. Never knew they were so active in the figure skating world.

all that

Final Flight

Yet another reason for P/C will win the individual event, and for why the team event is not worth their time. ;)

I think MR now is a vastly different program than it was on the GP circuit. I also think the VM have no chance of winning the individual event, but it isn't because MR is an artistically lesser program than MS.

MelDee

Final Flight
Yet another reason for P/C will win the individual event, and for why the team event is not worth their time. ;)

Gotta say, I suspect as much. It wouldn't surprise me if they skipped the team event and L/L competed in both segments instead.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I think MR now is a vastly different program than it was on the GP circuit.
Can you elaborate on that because for me, the 'propos', the atmosphere, the intent, the energy, the look of it hasn't changed at all. Literally AT ALL. It does exactly the same thing to me as the former version. I can hear some other music, see some changes in movement, but what is brought to the ice as a program, as an event, as as style, as a story, as a whole, is completely identical.
I admit again that I have no technical expertise at all, so that is not what I am talking about. I speak simply as someone who looks at the artistic, theatrical, performance part of the dance.
I also don't mean to say that 'it's V/M so they are always V/M', because there is an immense difference with the energy and expression of their last year's FD.

Anna189

Rinkside
I don't really know if France has a chance to go the the final of the team event. It will require a fair amount of calculations for us to know how it could happen. We still don't know who is going to do the Team event in Dance either. :scratch2: Do we know when it will be known ?

I read on the V/M threat that they plan to do both the short dance and the free dance in the event.
The video about Europeans from The Skating Lesson: they suggested that it is possible, perhaps very possible, that V/M will get their desired gold medal from the team event and P/C from the individual. In case both teams are clean and judges could not make a decision. I thought this was quite interesting and reminded me of a tactic that is used at the Oscars, for example. (two film contenders: one award for the best film and one for the best director to the other) :biggrin:

MelDee

Final Flight
I read on the V/M threat that they plan to do both the short dance and the free dance in the event.
The video about Europeans from The Skating Lesson: they suggested that it is possible, perhaps very possible, that V/M will get their desired gold medal from the team event and P/C from the individual. In case both teams are clean and judges could not make a decision. I thought this was quite interesting and reminded me of a tactic that is used at the Oscars, for example. (two film contenders: one award for the best film and one for the best director to the other) :biggrin:

I always take TSL (and Dave especially) with a grain of salt, but this is a very probable outcome actually and the best way to reward both of those teams.

Anna189

Rinkside
I always take TSL (and Dave especially) with a grain of salt, but this is a very probable outcome actually and the best way to reward both of those teams.

Me too. But I like hearing other people's opinions so I watch TSL from time to time. Dave and Jonathan's sense of humour is sometimes too much. In the end, however, they're still more respectful than hateful when they share their opinions. And that's something I don't find on social media or certain tv channels - both sources are pretty biased most of the time, at least it sounds like that to me. :scratch2:

icetigger

On the Ice
I believe there is no favouritism from Marie-France and Patrice, they have an equal attitude to all of their teams and want all of them to succeed.

Yes, but that's a impossibility in terms of the one thing that this season is geared around. At this point I really only see Romain as P/C's Coach. If you aren't in the kiss and cry for a team's first five events of the season, and haven't done the travelling with them, you are not their Coach. Yes they may have an extended coaching team, but their actual Coach (in terms of how I see things) is Romain.