Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 171 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Anna189

Rinkside
Finally the British Eurosport coverage of FD is available. Starts with the Olympic Channel but then do switch to B ESP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2o3LxgXwA

ETA: after watching I noticed when S/B leave the ice and the French starts warming up, the crowd starts chanting. Can anyone make up what they say ?

Thank you so much for the video! :bow:

I believe the crowd chanted words of support to the Russian pair. My guess is they said "молодец" (a very bad phonetic transcription would be maladjec), meaning bravo, well done... They did that everytime a Russian skater left the ice, e.g. after E. Medvedeva's performance. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong. :)

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Finally the British Eurosport coverage of FD is available. Starts with the Olympic Channel but then do switch to B ESP:

ETA: after watching I noticed when S/B leave the ice and the French starts warming up, the crowd starts chanting. Can anyone make up what they say ?

It's molodcy - in Russian something like well done but in plural form. Crowd thinks that S/B skated really well.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
The hardest in dance or figure skating ... close a zipper:laugh:
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/status/955833080593477632
OK, with the risk of being completely idiotic and ridiculously ignorant, I can't for the life of me understand what on earth I'm seeing between Gaby's legs. I can try to ignore this as inappropriate curiosity on my side, but I'm baffled and intrigued at the same time.
It may be none of my business, but having such pictures posted on twitter does not seem to make it very discreet.
Does anyone have an explanation, preferably a technical and very innocent one??

Norenn

Spectator
OK, with the risk of being completely idiotic and ridiculously ignorant, I can't for the life of me understand what on earth I'm seeing between Gaby's legs. I can try to ignore this as inappropriate curiosity on my side, but I'm baffled and intrigued at the same time.
It may be none of my business, but having such pictures posted on twitter does not seem to make it very discreet.
Does anyone have an explanation, preferably a technical and very innocent one??

It looks like a bottle of water to me.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I am so so sooooo happy to hear the commentator whose name I forgot again (my sincerest apologies dear famous commentator!!) say that this was the best version of MS so far. I couldn't understand what I was missing when the comments on the EC FD thread very quickly went to "it was much better in the GPF" and "they peaked with it already".
Isn't it obvious that this program only gets better and better? They really are every time more and more appropriating this dance, it becomes every time cleaner and clearer, and specifically the presto gets really really better every time. Almost every musical accent is now spot on, the whole program becomes so much more settled and owned, it is super exciting to see how they grow in it and with it.
Isn't it obvious that if you would see MS for the first time at EC, the impact will be incomparably much bigger than when we discovered the program with their first outing in Villard de Lans? I must say that I would never be able to wait until Europeans to discover one of their programs, but boy, am I jealous of that experience! People who will discover MS at Olympics will be overawed I guess.

I suppose that the 'this is over its peak' comments come from V/M fans who feel threatened by the fact that G/G are getting a new world record score every single time they skate while their favourites needed an over-the-top Canadian fed propaganda event with absurd scores to maintain the illusion of the bubble in which V/M will win the Olympic gold. Propaganda is an enormously strong force and simply repeating something over and over and over again will make an immense amount of people believe it is true, but I cannot see anything but bitter disappointment for these people since all the results so far seem to clearly indicate that no matter how much propaganda is being spread, the reality for the judges still is that MR is not as artistic or gripping or X-factor-loaded as MS, no matter how brilliantly they skate it. I don't think that the music changes will affect that reality.

I really can't wait to have all this rivalry behind us. I saw many couples at EC for the first time, and some for a second or third time. I really hope that Laurence and Nikolaj can up their game and become one of the top contenders, I am very much charmed by Tiffani and Jonathan (hopefully not just because I find both of them very attractive people) and also by S/B. I was very happy to see Madi and Zach win the US nationals, and I do hope that, even though I want Gaby and Guigui to dominate for another 8 years at least, we can get a much more artistic development and competition in the coming years where SS are very important but where the artistic value becomes a huge factor, and where all teams are seeing this and happily join the quest for innovation and exploration.

And may I please restate my plea to the ICU: having rules that teams MUST consist of 1 man and 1 woman is more than obviously outdated. PLEASE look around you, and notice that gender comes in many flavours. Male/male, female/female and whatever/whatever couples are a FACT. They are not a whim or a temporary trend. Get into the 21st century and allow any kind of couple to compete. It can only open up more boxes of creativity and wonder. So many more things need to be explored and enjoyed, let's not deprive ourselves of glorious moments and great discoveries. We need more magic on the ice!

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
It looks like a bottle of water to me.
Yes, that's also what I thought but I found it a bit strange as she seems to have a hand free to hold it with...
Probably just me then? Let's hope the world isn't as silly as I am.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/s...on-entraineurs-virtue-moir-papadakis-cizeron/

Interview of Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon, talking about "the 2 sides of the duel" = Papaciz vs Tessa&SCott. It's in French but it is very good ! So worth the read !

"Summary" for those who don't speak French :

- Competitions are "horrible", you push everyone to be at his best and judges make the call. Huge emotionnal charge.

-Patrice : "When my athletes lose it makes me upset, the one who wins does not need my attention. The one who hasn't got the best performance, who is crushed, needs my support - makes the job harder" (because there is always someone winning and the other losing, it's crushing)

-Marie-France : "I meditate, I need to take care of myself not to keep the stress that is not mine" (some Marie-France realness here)

-Every competitors gets the same amount of time, they thought about everything. they do NOT compare them, they "don't need to" it's "useless". They are trained to be the best version of themselves : "If Scott & Tessa try to do what Gabriella and Guillaume do best, they won't make it. And vice-versa".

-"Earth and Fire" vs "Air and Water". Tessa&Scott : everyone is captivated by their connexion. They are so powerful, dynamic, great attack. Gaby&Gui : Exceptionnal gliding quality, interpretation very strong, very contemporary never really seen before in the sport, it's like they float on the ice".

-MF : choreography, Patrice : Technical, Romain : precision of movements.

-One day a week : P/C, V/M and H/D share the ice, that way you cannot have a lazy day, competitors gives you a "kick in the butt", it stimulate competition - everything was thought before the Games.

-A bit a P/C history. In 2014, when they 1st came to Montreal they did not have anything to do but skate, so they reached the top by working so hard. And another time in 2016, it creates great bonds between coaches and skaters. MF : "I discovered myself as a choreographer with them"

-A bit of V/M history. Connection = Mentors for them. And it did not go very well with their coaches in 2014 (Marina), Patrice found himself helping them during the Games (he was there for Hurtado/Diaz), be there for them. Natural choice to train with MF and Patrice for their comeback.

-Gaby&Gui were "happy to train with them" + "**** our World title is in Jeopardy". P/C found a life coach, brought internal strengths. The 2 teams get along well, Tessa and Guillaume have a similar personnality, Gaby and Scott have affinities. "They respect each other, they do high 5 when they run into each other at the rink".

-MF : "There is going to be World records at the Games for sure. We might see a perfect score for one of the 2 teams"
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that !" :laugh:

cocotaffy

Final Flight
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that", first off me too, I'm not their coach but it's too stressful. Second, it's a confirmation V/M don't intend to go to Worlds whereas P/C are.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that", first off me too, I'm not their coach but it's too stressful. Second, it's a confirmation V/M don't intend to go to Worlds whereas P/C are.

Me too, I can't wait for this to be over to be honest. :drama: Less than 4 weeks left and yes, I'm counting because it is too much. I think that the whole season for everyone and everything that is going on is just crazy.
I really feel for the coaches having those 3 teams and handling that. FRA, CAN and US champs. Insane.

Charis

Rinkside
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/s...on-entraineurs-virtue-moir-papadakis-cizeron/

-MF : "There is going to be World records at the Games for sure. We might see a perfect score for one of the 2 teams"
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that !" :laugh:

Which is the team she is referring to??? What is your opinion?? And how does she know that this is going to happen??? ... I don’t know why but I think she is telling about Tessa and Scott…Maybe I am wrong but from Canadians I saw she was so moved by their performance…i think that is what she wants….sorry…but that is how I felt!!!
I Wish the best for my dear Gaby & Guillaume!!!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Which is the team she is referring to??? What is your opinion?? And how does she know that this is going to happen??? ... I don’t know why but I think she is telling about Tessa and Scott…Maybe I am wrong but from Canadians I saw she was so moved by their performance…i think that is what she wants….sorry…but that is how I felt!!!
I Wish the best for my dear Gaby & Guillaume!!!

No, not at all. Judging is going to happen the way it's going to happen, she says that if the teams are clean and at the best of their abilities, it would not be suprising to see a perfect score - this year the closest we have seen to reaching that limit is P/C FD at Europeans. Add the missing level and we are at a 123.30 ish. The perfect score is 124.70. And by perfect it means that judges won't hesistate throwing 10s for both I think. If we see something close to a 60 PCS for P/C I won't be surprised at all.
Of course she was moved, she's their mentors and it's their last season. But really, would she give something as incredible as the Moonlight Sonata FD if she wanted V/M to win and nothing else ? But she definitely wants both her top 2 to reach those insane scores. She's reffering to both ;)
It's in the air that the scores are going to be insane, P/C have already prove it (and deservedly so). And they had a 4.5 margin on LEVELS ONLY. It's coming.

MelDee

Final Flight
No, not at all. Judging is going to happen the way it's going to happen, she says that if the teams are clean and at the best of their abilities, it would not be suprising to see a perfect score - this year the closest we have seen to reaching that limit is P/C FD at Europeans. Add the missing level and we are at a 123.30 ish. The perfect score is 124.70. And by perfect it means that judges won't hesistate throwing 10s for both I think. If we see something close to a 60 PCS for P/C I won't be surprised at all.
Of course she was moved, she's their mentors and it's their last season. But really, would she give something as incredible as the Moonlight Sonata FD if she wanted V/M to win and nothing else ? But she definitely wants both her top 2 to reach those insane scores. She's reffering to both ;)
It's in the air that the scores are going to be insane, P/C have already prove it (and deservedly so). And they had a 4.5 margin on LEVELS ONLY. It's coming.

I believe there is no favouritism from Marie-France and Patrice, they have an equal attitude to all of their teams and want all of them to succeed.

Just an interesting note from the Czech broadcast of the Europeans FD event in relation to the part in bold - one of the Czech commentators noted that he felt like P/C had the best programmes of the Montreal team this season, ones that play to all their strengths. He wondered for a while how is that possible and if M-F didn't intentionally give them the better programmes this year, but in the end he concluded that it's probably because P/C have a say when it comes to their material and that it's them who brings the vision.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I believe there is no favouritism from Marie-France and Patrice, they have equal attitude to all of their teams and want all of them to succeed.

Just an interesting note from the Czech broadcast of the Europeans FD event in relation to the part in bold - one of the Czech commentators noted that he felt like P/C had the best programmes of the Montreal team this season, ones that play to all their strengths. He wondered for a while how is that possible and if M-F didn't intentionally give them the better programmes this year, but in the end he concluded that it's probably because P/C have a say when it comes to their material and that it's them who brings the vision.

I also strongly believe that all the teams have everything they need to have to succeed, including coaches - no favouritism. I believe they are above that, because what's the point ?

There is a bit of difference in the teams choice, all of them brought what they wanted to do : H/D wanted a Beth Hart song (Maddie is a huge fan) and Marie-France found another piece of music to add at the beginning (tempo change required). P/C brought Moonlight Sonata and Guillaume suggested Jeffrey Cirio as a co-choreographer. V/M wanted (very strongly) MR, however, MF & Patrice were not on board at first. But they insisted so much, played with it and coaches said okay. It could be normal in a regular season that a program does not work (in that case, is not entirely perfect) the very first competition, but Olympics are on the lines. Also, I think that MS fits P/C so much, that the comparaison with their training mates are inevitable. It's not that the programs are not good or anything. It's just how well the MS fits P/C I think.
I also think that Marie-France and P/C are a some sort of match that was unexpected in terms of choreography. She said that they are so easy to train and a dream for any choreographer.

maya1985

On the Ice
if M-F didn't intentionally give them the better programmes this year, but in the end he concluded that it's probably because P/C have a say when it comes to their material and that it's them who brings the vision.

Gabi and Guillaume make their program a masterpiece. Of course, it has been beautifully choreographed but it is them who create the "magic" of their Moonlight Sonata. (I also think that sessions with Catherine Pinard are very important)