Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

alain06fr

On the Ice
thank you, some quebec sound in some words from gabriella, so cute !!

Indeed!! She actually speaks like typical French Canadian people :) How sweet and nice :luv17:
From time to time, Guillaume also has some French Canadian accent when he speaks.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Indeed!! She actually speaks like typical French Canadian people :) How sweet and nice :luv17:
From time to time, Guillaume also has some French Canadian accent when he speaks.

Yes, I had noticed that for Guillaume but it's the first time I hear it with Gaby. They really are becoming true Montrealais.
Thanks to Maya and Synian for constantly updating us on new videos and infos. Alain, your photos are great tx.

Last edited:

Spot

On the Ice
I just saw this interview with Romain posted on fsuniverse http://www.long-program.com/2017/01/08/romain-hagenauer-jetzt-haben-wir-eine-neue-situation/

Very interesting, talking about training two top teams together but not as competitors but for all to do the best they can, Tessa and Scott's experience and not needing to prove anything anymore while Gabriella and Guillaume are still learning to handle this new situation/constellation...working with the different federations who offer their input, Gabriella and Guillaume wishing to express emotions and not a story necessarily (as they have mentioned before) and how his dream is for all three of their top teams to medal at the Olympics.

I can translate any specific part if someone is curious:)

alain06fr

On the Ice
I just saw this interview with Romain posted on fsuniverse http://www.long-program.com/2017/01/08/romain-hagenauer-jetzt-haben-wir-eine-neue-situation/

Very interesting, talking about training two top teams together but not as competitors but for all to do the best they can, Tessa and Scott's experience and not needing to prove anything anymore while Gabriella and Guillaume are still learning to handle this new situation/constellation...working with the different federations who offer their input, Gabriella and Guillaume wishing to express emotions and not a story necessarily (as they have mentioned before) and how his dream is for all three of their top teams to medal at the Olympics.

I can translate any specific part if someone is curious:)

Spot, thanks a lot!!
Both P/C and V/M fans will find it very interesting imHo.
Please find below a German to English translation from "Google translate" (which is not perfect but worked quite OK I must say)

------------------------------------------------------

He is probably the most sought-after coach in the world at the moment. His athletes are the best ice dancers in the world. He works with Olympians and with world champions. Many try to figure out his concept for the success of his athletes to defeat the French ice dancers Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron. In this interview, the coach Romain Haguenauer talks about his work, about his athletes, his goals and dreams. But he, too, must sometimes add criticism.

Do you work with the best ice skaters in the world, has it become harder for you this season, after you have got a top pair, the Olympic winners Tessa Vitue and Scott Moir from Canada?

Absolutely not. Everyone has to learn. I work with the world champions Gabriella and Guillaume and at the same time with Tessa and Scott. I train two top teams and they are very strong. It is good to work with these athletes, who have high qualities. They also differ from each other. No, it is not difficult, but that is a very high level and every little mistake can be crucial in this case. We work hard on precision and we also have to achieve two different styles. It is not complicated, but means - a lot of work.

How many pairs are you currently training?

At the moment we have 13 to 15 pairs, that is, two of them do not train full-time, they are preparing for the national championships, but are often in training.

How do you find time for all athletes?

I spend a lot of time on the ice, every day I'm there from 7am to 5pm. Now we are fully utilized because we can guarantee the certain quality - for all figure skaters. And we never have more than five pairs on the ice at the same time. We also train many juniors and try to offer everyone the same training quality.

What makes Tessa and Scott different from the French?

The most important difference is the story of each couple: Tessa and Scott - they are back in competitions, they have already got a supercarrier behind them and they have reached the most important goal: their Olympian victory and they have a lot of competition experience. They said they are coming back because they have not yet achieved everything they wanted to achieve. But I do not mean now the results - but the work, the artistry. It is clear that they have come back to win. But it is particularly important for them to have fun, to train and to compete again. They do not have to prove anything, they have proved everything in their past.

Gabriella and Guillaume are two-time world champions, they are very young, only 21 and 22. And Tessa and Scott are 28 and 29 years old. They are two generations and they have two different stories. Gabriella and Guillaume have quickly become national champions, European champions and world champions. Now they face a new challenge they did not know before. They have got a very strong competition. It will be very close between the two couples. There are no problems during the training in Montreal. In the competition, we have a new situation, which we have already seen in Marseille (Gabriella and Guillaume have just finished second in the Grand Prix final.) Tessa and Scott have won - editor's note). You must learn to deal with it. This is a great lesson for them. They want to win the World Cup and at the Olympic Games, so they must be able to deal with the pressure - that is new to them. The first time they had nothing to lose, they won the title. The second time it was because of the concussion of Gabriella another situation and the two were just glad to be able to run at competitions at all. Now they have to win against very strong runners all season. But I am happy that they are learning it now. They have to do this at the Worlds and at the Olympic Games. But they are very strong and if they take the situation positively, they become even stronger.

Do these two top pairs train at the same time?

Sometimes they train together, sometimes not. We just look at what we have to work with every couple. But these are two different situations: training together is not a problem. You need to focus on running clean as best as you can. For the coach it is the same - I give my best to the one and the others. We work with them and do not consider them as competitors. We work to give them the best training so they can run as well as possible. I am not a judge, I give my best and they have to work with it. Judges will then make a decision at competitions.

How do you find the idea, because that is the big challenge to create something that is even better than what already exists?

This is always difficult to develop new ideas, but this is a decision of the team. Gabriella and Guillaume discuss the ideas with us coaches, they suggest something, I suggest something, as well as Marie France and Patrice. You want to show something more, Contemporary. They want a music unusual for figure skating, they want to show more artistry. I think this is very good. We have to work a lot to be the best. I believe that is a revolution in the ice dance and Gabriella and Guilaume lead them. They are very young and probably they will still run 6 or 7 years.

I've also heard some critical points. Their dances are very beautiful, but they do not tell a story ...

A dance can tell a story, but we work deeper with Gabriella and Guillaume. We work with emotions, with feelings. Perhaps people do not understand the whole story: Our goal is to create emotions. Sometimes when you go to the ballet and do not know the story - but still they are captured by the emotions - there is true interpretation. If you play Scheherazade or Charlie Chaplin - that's all clear, but Gabriella and Guillaume do not want that. They want more. It is difficult to describe. I believe the artistic level is so high, because that is very complicated. It is easy to wear certain costumes to play a character, but they do not want that. They want to stay them themselves and express deep emotions. This has brought them success last year and I am sure this year it could also be successful - if they are technically clean.

How do you see the future of the ice dance?

I do not know ... In Marseille I saw the best six couples and they showed very nice and interesting shows. Many try to offer more dancers than the Olympics in Sochi. In our discipline there are clear leaders - and are Gabriella and Guillaume and now they are Tessa and Scott. They drive the level up and other athletes try to defeat them and work even more than usual. Perhaps there is also criticism, but at the moment many try to show the same as we do.

Are you free at work?

We all work together: athletes, coaches, associations. Gabriella and Guillaume work with the French association, the Canadians - with the Canadian. We work a lot with each country because they check the levels and also give ideas. We work daily, but sometimes it is good to get a look from the outside. The associations support us and that is important. It is also good for athletes to know that they have this support. If you work at this level, it is like a big machine. And when Gabriella and Guillaume need something for costumes or choreography, their federation is always ready to help them.

Could you imagine working with single people or with couples?

I've already done it in the past. I worked with Daisuke Takahashi, with Brian Joubert, with Vanessa and Morgan. But now I am busy. I am now only focused on the ice dancing and have enough work in this area.

Do you have a dream as a coach?

A dream? I am a happy person. I have super athletes and I work with them. This is also an education for life. If something works or does not work - we have to deal with the situation. My dream would be to win all three Olympics. (Laughs)

Really all three?

(Laughs) - The best dream would be that our athletes run as well as they can - that's important. But also the American couple has great potential and I believe - they could also be on the podium. That is the goal. And it would be fantastic if we won three medals.

Thank you for the interview!

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gabriella and Guillaume are two-time world champions, they are very young, only 21 and 22. And Tessa and Scott are 28 and 29 years old.

I love that he aged Tessa up. She's actually got another four months of 27. Obviously it doesn't really matter, but I find it funny.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
I love that he aged Tessa up. She's actually got another four months of 27. Obviously it doesn't really matter, but I find it funny.

I do that all the time, don't you ? If someone is about 3 to 4 months away to grow 1 year older, I just round it up, much easier and let's face it that person is closer to the next step. Aging is a tough business :laugh:

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Their new costumes look great, although I did love Gabi's white dress because it just flowed across the ice so nicely. Can't wait to see how they look during the performance.

Spot

On the Ice
Not the result I hoped for, but we all know their true strength are their FDs. Fingers crossed.