Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 229 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Iris81

On the Ice
What surprised me in this interview is that MFD have not yet thought about how to develop P/C and what direction to take with them in 4 next years, she just waits for a conversation with them. It's strange to me, i hoped that their coaches have good strategy for them. Of course, Gaby and Guillaume will decide by themselves what they want to do, they are "very involved", as MFD said, but still...

peepsquick

Final Flight
Of course, you can critique. It just seem extremely harsh as I just don't get the negative bend you get out of the interview. What I see and hear, when I listen to it, is a coach in dire need of vacation, harnessing all she has left to do Worlds in Milan and support her teams. I also have to add that Gadbois is a school she and Patrice created, so they probably are directing it with the great group of people who joined them. All of them are passionate about what they do and wouldn't stay, if they were unhappy with the way things are handled.

MelDee

Final Flight
What surprised me in this interview is that MFD have not yet thought about how to develop P/C and what direction to take with them in 4 next years, she just waits for a conversation with them. It's strange to me, i hoped that their coaches have good strategy for them. Of course, Gaby and Guillaume will decide by themselves what they want to do, they are "very involved", as MFD said, but still...

Frankly, at this point I'd like to see PapCiz take full control of their strategy for this Olympic cycle and seek outside choreography (Dean) or even better, self-choreograph. Somehow I just think that they've outgrown M-F's vision and capabilities.

peepsquick

Final Flight

What I get from that and what I got from the past seasons is that G/G have a (strong) mind of their own and have probably a growing sense of where they are heading (or least, where they are not heading!). No use for MF, who listens to her top skaters, to choreograph against the grain, so to speak. Loss of time and energy. She is basically also wrecked after a tough season (or two in a row because she barely took a break to prepare for the OG) and I don't think that the creative juices are flowing right now.

icetigger

On the Ice
Frankly, at this point I'd like to see PapCiz take full control of their strategy for this Olympic cycle and seek outside choreography (Dean) or even better, self-choreograph. Somehow I just think that they've outgrown M-F's vision and capabilities.

I super agree with this. This is how they will truly make their mark on the sport.

BlueCat28

Match Penalty
icetigger and BlueCat28 ... wow! That is a lot of anger directed towards MF! I don't understand the demonizing of MFD or her school at all. They have made it possible for P/C to develop their immense potential. They are not the enemy! Sure, they had to manage a delicate balance with the Canadian Fed but I never had the impression that they neglected P/C. There is a trusted bond between the dancers and their trainers. For me it is plain to see.
The debacle with the outfit is a shared responsibility, imo, between the designer, the dancers and the trainer(s). It was reckless but they won't make that type of mistake again.
Breathe deep, everybody, and enjoy G/G doing their magic at worlds!

Iam not angry. I dont like what she have been saying since Olys. She is biased .But honestly who can blame her? From next season she will start all over again talks about being P/c the best couple. They will be dominating for sure and she will be giving different kind of interviews . They will be the best until they retire

For last 2 seasons she thought about somebody elses directions. Why she wouls know somethoing about P.c now and what they want ?

Anna189

Rinkside
Well... I guess I watched a completely different interview. It is possible MF prefers one team to other, honestly who knows... but I wouldn't say she does so to such extent that it limits other teams. As she said it herself, Gabriella and Guillaume are involved in, probably, every decision that is made. Would they want to stay in such environment if they felt neglected? I don't think so. Also, I don't blame the dress incident on particularly anyone, but if we talk about who is responsible for that unlucky malfunction, both G&G are responsible too. Wearing a costume that's sewed up before every practice or competition just in case for such an important moment... that sounds at least too risky to me.

Someone mention where was MF when Guillaume was with Gabby... you can ask the same about Romain, Patrice or any other member of that school. And just because we didn't see much footage, it doesn't mean their coaches didn't talk to them to chear them up. I doubt Gabby and Guillaume for example know what they want to do next year. They may have given it a thought, but I sincerely doubt they already have some concrete ideas or even songs chosen when they still have one last competition ahead of them. And that goes for everybody.

That being said, I don't think MF is a saint, but some comments here seems to be rather harsh. I trust G&G; they know what they are doing and if they felt neglected, it would have shown during the season. So I think we should all accept what happened: it wasn't what we wanted, there are some questionable facts but it is done, cannot be changed and therefore there is no point in agonizing over it all over again.

If there is someone going to Italy, please, inform us. I cannot wait to see them one last time before this crazy season is officially over. :)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Just one thing : putting the blame on anyone won't change anything. This doesn't interest me anyway. I know that they are the best skaters out there, a dress certainly won't affect that.

Moving on because it's World championships week : They arrived ! On the ISU instagram story you can see them. And Alain already started to post some pictures of the rink, check it out : https://www.instagram.com/alain06fr/ (Alain if you happenn to come accross the forum this week, have a lot of fun !)

I'm going to stay home a lot this week :laugh: Guys, post everything you can find, because I will certainly do so !

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Well, there's a really interesting discussion here.
I can relate to both sides of the story.

It IS somehow frustrating for us to see that Marie-France is simply incapable of stating the blatantly obvious fact that during the whole season, and as Alain pointed out: up until 7 DAYS before the individual event, Gabriella and Guillaume were totally set to take the gold and Tessa and Scott got seriously lower marks.
She does seem totally happy with the outcome, and is for me not addressing the dress issue as a real disaster for Gaby and Guigui. Yes, her fall was a million times worse. Yes, it is no use crying over spilled milk. But for crying out loud, can anyone picture the endless endless endless end-of-the-world screaming and lamenting and gut-spitting sobbing and crying and whining and pointing out what a difference it would have made if the same had happened to Tessa and Scott? It would have been the centre piece of every single interview and article: the DIFFERENCE it had made...

So why the double standards? Why is it taboo in Canada to say the truth?

And what exactly was cut out of the interview when Dave started talking about the disappointing scores for Moulin Rouge (32:38)?

On the other hand, there are so many things to say in defence of Marie-France. She and Patrice have created the top ice dance school in the world out of nowhere. Interviews are tricky, they don't give a total picture. She is totally exhausted and not listening to herself as much as she would want to. She is obviously meaning to be very complimentary to Steffany when she pointed out that she has been working with her since 2004. They have turned Gaby and Guigui in who they are today. They gave them all the opportunities they needed. She clearly means to compliment them with what happened in the short.

But yea. Saying that they both skated their best... Freudian slip? Because clearly, we all here are completely sick of how they were unable to skate their best in the short. It does sound like she found this the best outcome.
She's totally entitled to have her own preferences, but for me and other G/G fans, that's not really what we were hoping for.
We wanted another outcome of this year.

I don't know when I'll be able to see that it was all for the best (nothing happens just 'like that' in my understanding of this universe), but it's going to take quite an amount of time and explanations and insights.

But for the love of god, let someone simply acknowledge it: the dress made a total difference.
Not the Disney ending, for god's sake.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
And here come Worlds.
If there is a god, they will get a world record score on the short and also overall.

MelDee

Final Flight
Check out ISU's Instastories - G&G have arrived in Milan and got their accreditation! :)

Edit: Sorry Camille, I didn't see you've already posted about it!

Btw they arrived at Milanoooo and are in line to got their accreditations :dance2:

BlueCat28

Match Penalty

It IS somehow frustrating for us to see that Marie-France is simply incapable of stating the blatantly obvious fact that during the whole season, and as Alain pointed out: up until 7 DAYS before the individual event, Gabriella and Guillaume were totally set to take the gold and Tessa and Scott got seriously lower marks.
She does seem totally happy with the outcome, and is for me not addressing the dress issue as a real disaster for Gaby and Guigui. Yes, her fall was a million times worse. Yes, it is no use crying over spilled milk. But for crying out loud, can anyone picture the endless endless endless end-of-the-world screaming and lamenting and gut-spitting sobbing and crying and whining and pointing out what a difference it would have made if the same had happened to Tessa and Scott? It would have been the centre piece of every single interview and article: the DIFFERENCE it had made...

And what exactly was cut out of the interview when Dave started talking about the disappointing scores for Moulin Rouge (32:38)?

On the other hand, there are so many things to say in defence of Marie-France. She and Patrice have created the top ice dance school in the world out of nowhere. Interviews are tricky, they don't give a total picture. She is totally exhausted and not listening to herself as much as she would want to. She is obviously meaning to be very complimentary to Steffany when she pointed out that she has been working with her since 2004. They have turned Gaby and Guigui in who they are today. They gave them all the opportunities they needed. She clearly means to compliment them with what happened in the short.

But yea. Saying that they both skated their best... Freudian slip? Because clearly, we all here are completely sick of how they were unable to skate their best in the short. It does sound like she found this the best outcome.
She's totally entitled to have her own preferences, but for me and other G/G fans, that's not really what we were hoping for.

I don't know when I'll be able to see that it was all for the best (nothing happens just 'like that' in my understanding of this universe), but it's going to take quite an amount of time and explanations and insights.

But for the love of god, let someone simply acknowledge it: the dress made a total difference.
Not the Disney ending, for crying out loud.

Because they got the gold anyway, so they re silent. They know if not THAT dress, they would be second.And then we would have Scott in every tv station saying that over and over again.

Bcash

Final Flight
There's nothing wrong IMO in suggesting both team skated their best. G/G's FD was very pristinely skated and 123+ was an amazing score, a WR, also in line with what they've been getting the whole season. An inflated score for V/M aside, they skated very well too.

MFD also expressed mortification that the dress incident happened. She did say that they did what they always do for each practice and simply didn't think it was going to burst open during competition. That sounds reasonable, although I do question this "sewing" procedure because it involves human hands, and human hands can not be 100% precise each single time. Someone on their team should have thought of the risk, including the costume designer.

When talking about H/D she said, we don't train them to be third, we train them to win, just as we do with G/G and V/M. That's a fair approach from a coach with multiple top teams.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
About the cut in the interview, someone asked Dave and he replied “Bad Skype connection. It froze. We had to call eachother back a few times. One of those days”
Just to clear things up.

oakandbirch

On the Ice
Well, next goal is Soucisse/Firus for 2022. Or another canadian.

Bcash

Final Flight

Not the Disney ending, for god's sake.

She didn't say "it was all for the best". Dave didn't ask any question that would require an "honest" assessment from her. It was a "soft/polite" kind of an interview.

Also, it'll stay the Disney ending in many people's eyes, and it will not be in others who know the sport and are devoted fans. But it's just unrealistic to expect the beneficiary of the Disney ending to puncture that bubble, that requires a higher form of sportsmanship which we know V/M never demonstrated in their career.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
She didn't say "it was all for the best". Dave didn't ask any question that would require an "honest" assessment from her. It was a "soft/polite" kind of an interview.

Also, it'll stay the Disney ending in many people's eyes, and it will not be in others who know the sport and are devoted fans. But it's just unrealistic to expect the beneficiary of the Disney ending to puncture that bubble, that requires a higher form of sportsmanship which we know V/M never demonstrated in their career.

I have to admit I laughed a lot at the "Disney" thing because even MF admitted it herself, as she wanted something more (dark) contemporary because the "grand finale" is not her thing - you are getting away from "dance". Can't beat PapaCiz at their own game though (If you want dark contemporary, there's this cool thing called the Moonlight Sonata Free Dance) :biggrin:

BlueCat28

Match Penalty
You know that Canada is one of the countries who can be chosed as host country for Winter Olys in 2026? The others: Sweden, Switzerland, Japan.