Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023 | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023

Selivanovp

Rinkside
That's hilarious, what's the old joke that some random person should be made to do a sport before the athletes at the Olympics? Kudos to the Russian Fed/Channel one for saying 'why not, give it your best shot'
This journalist is infamous in Russia due to criticizing skaters a lot, asking very provocative questions and basically trying his best to create media drama after every competition. But props for him for not backpedaling when organizers allowed him to participate and he did his best :)

Selivanovp

Rinkside
And for me personally the Exogenesis too, the way she performed it at the JWC (even with a step out on the first 4T) one of my favorite programs ever, her innate understanding of the pace and the music as a whole is just insane.

And here in this Shaman program as well, her musicality was simply unparalleled once again, to hit every note with that kind of precision while performing complex moves on the ice, is very impressive. I think this program will prove to be a big hit as well on social media, it was also a reference to her Pagan, Tatar roots
Her shaman has nothing to do with Tatar roots, definitely not their culture. It was more of a generic 'shaman' with no specified ethnicity, maybe even inspired by some video game.

Selivanovp

Rinkside
This was the greatest thing I've ever seen, hilarious!!!

Hahahaha I wonder if Liza, Alina Z and Yagudin were out back going: "Hey, this guy stole our bits!" ;)

One of the judges were not on board though, obviously left his sense of humour at home!
People say that Liza actually helped him a bit with her 'Toxic' moves as they're training in the same rink.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
Her shaman has nothing to do with Tatar roots, definitely not their culture. It was more of a generic 'shaman' with no specified ethnicity, maybe even inspired by some video game.
And how do you know that? Obviously it's a romanticized depiction of shamanism, but nevertheless, as far as I know current Volga Tatars originate from a mixture of Turkic and Mongolian tribes and their original religion (or at least earliest known) was Tengriism which definitely contained elements of shamanism, including "generic" versions of it, but who knows for sure.
I don't think it matters, I view all early Turkic tribes (before some of them turned Muslim) as pagans, which according to most sources, they were.

Selivanovp

Rinkside
And how do you know that? Obviously it's a romanticized depiction of shamanism, but nevertheless, as far as I know current Volga Tatars originate from a mixture of Turkic and Mongolian tribes and their original religion (or at least earliest known) was Tengriism which definitely contained elements of shamanism, including "generic" versions of it, but who knows for sure.
I don't think it matters, I view all early Turkic tribes (before some of them turned Muslim) as pagans, which according to most sources, they were.
I'm Russian and have relatives in Tatarstan. Kami depicted a ritual of summoning rain- something not very relevant to Russia, as there's no lack of rain and water on most territories. Most of the indigenous population that had shamanism (or have up to this day) are lived/living in Siberia and her costume doesn't look like any of them to my knowledge (it's pretty cold there mostly). So, her shaman is not depicting some specific ethnicity/tribe, just a generalized image of a tribe shaman. The funny thing is that as far as I'm aware in NA "cultural appropriation" is a negative thing, people are pissed when it happens. It's absolutely the other way in Russia, where it's a sign of immense respect to the people's roots.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
I'm Russian and have relatives in Tatarstan. Kami depicted a ritual of summoning rain- something not very relevant to Russia, as there's no lack of rain and water on most territories. Most of the indigenous population that had shamanism (or have up to this day) are lived/living in Siberia and her costume doesn't look like any of them to my knowledge (it's pretty cold there mostly). So, her shaman is not depicting some specific ethnicity/tribe, just a generalized image of a tribe shaman. The funny thing is that as far as I'm aware in NA "cultural appropriation" is a negative thing, people are pissed when it happens. It's absolutely the other way in Russia, where it's a sign of immense respect to the people's roots.
Ok, fair enough, so she's paying a tribute to a generalized version of shamanism, let's leave it at that and either way as I said earlier, it's certainly a romanticized version of shamanic rituals, who really knows how they actually danced the rain into existence over a thousand years ago

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, in Yagudin vs Plushenko, I am Team Plushenko. Again.
NGL, this is the sort of show I thought Plushy would excel at. He always did love his exhibition programs. He could have brought back the one with the giant clown head, that one cracked me up first time I saw it. Why the giant head?! Why the balloon?! What did it mean?!

I'm reminded of this as I was Misha K skate to  Malade. Question is it not bad luck in Russia to open an umbrella indoors?

How about Max and Tatiana though? Loved the Samson and Delilah program! She even cut his hair off!

Wow the judges loved Misha K.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Zhenya Med! 🥰

Um OK, Ilya A decided to go with this....that's not awkward or anything.

Gorgeous dress though!

LOL random singer in the spotlight (I guess she's probably known in Russia though).

How did they get those giant light up wings in here?!

Женя, is handy to have light up letters for, it covers a multitude of skaters!

Hahaha Matvei with his flight attendant hat.

Speaking of Zhenya's here's Zhenya S. He's slightly nuts I love him.

Weirdly this song sounds vaguely familiar but I'm sure I've never heard it before.

Hahahaha OMG the doll! Did he choreo this himself? Although it's possible the Professor was behind this, he's come up with some... interesting ideas in his time.

The lady judge did not like the doll 🤣

:laugh2: It's soccer on ICE!!!

Love Nastya as a giant soccer ball. This is insane.

Also the amount of hand ball violations tsk ;) Seems the first judge took that personally.

Anna S not sure what that was about, but very lovely costume and nice skating.

Are those judges colluding again ;)

Aw the panda.

Ooo we gave a new leader.

Hahaha everyone's favourite French hits are here. Also an old man here to tell the kids to get off his lawn. 😝

Whenever I see the running man I always think of Brian J, although Yagudin did it first, I believe.

😂 Matvei bringing out the Winter costume.

T Tarasova always has the same colour lipstick on, she must a million tubes of it.

Wow they gave him the maximum?! Does that mean he wins? Or is there a tiebreaker?

Her Tatiana T and Maxim M. Who've been watching too many vampire movies it seems. I do like a long coat so I'll allow it. Also nicely done! The old pairs have still got it!

Wow Kamila seems more into the high intensity type programs rather than the lyrical ones.

Um is it raining? Where's Misha K's umbrellas! 🤣

Hmm is that part of the ice super went now?

Oooo interesting scores!

Mark K! 🥰 Shadow puppets! He's always so dramatic. He also appears to be dressed up as Will Farrell from  Elf.

Good to see him looking better though!

Aww the second jump was blocked by the mound of earth. Creative way to hide one's edge.

And finish with a giant flower!

I think the judges will be confused... Let's see how they score...

No wait, they did understand it! Avant Garde Mark carries the day!

Vika and Nikita... What is it with Russian skaters and heartbeat sound effects?

Oh dear Nikita lost the patient...

This song makes me miss Moris K...

On topic Vika and Nikita skate big! No Twizzles though.

Wait! She's back! He saved the patient!

Also looks like Nikita's back is better?

Wow second place with only Alina Z left to go!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oops a pop (both Alina and me hitting post).

But that was cute. I wonder how she kept her wig on!

I like how Anna's panda just sat there for the rest of the evening.

:laugh2: Yagudin did win!

Haha Vovan in the background there, he was zoning out.

So wait were the teams in the end or was everyone in it for themselves?

Also Makar had to sit there for aaaages, no wonder he's hugging that bear.

And now the presentation entirely in Russian, skips ahead.

Oh hey Misha won something, good for him.

Sofia A gets something too and Liza!

The judges awards I guess?

Kamila gets the crowd award for ladies, and Mark K for the men.

I'm kinda bummed for Matvei! He got overlooked! That was still the best program of the night! We got four skaters for the price of one! Tsk! Haha look at him doing his lap of honour, still in character/s!

Oh yeah Andrei, that was such a weird program! Did he come up with it? Where'd he find the ladies?!

On a final note :laugh: at Maxim T's commitment to the wig. It is a wig right?!

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I don't understand the doll, can someone explain?
He just needed a woman on the ice.

Semenenko: Okay, I can use props, I made a female puppet that I can control. I have a partner!

Mozalev: Hold my bottle of perfume. No, I still need it. Girls, we're going out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven... My treasures.

JimR

On the Ice
The hut she appeared out of and the drum are similar to this picture though. But I don't know. It's not something I know anything about apart from googling.

220px-SB_-_Altay_shaman_with_drum.jpg

I have to say I like Kamila's program even more with subsequent viewings. It seems two of the judges really despised her to give her such marks.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Oh yeah Andrei, that was such a weird program! Did he come up with it? Where'd he find the ladies?!

These are girls from Anastasia Yurasova's dance team, who developed her own strip-dance direction. By the way, Sasha Trusova took strip-dance lessons from her, so you can theoretically imagine her in the place of any of these girls.

In fact, this is a unique case in Russia, when the dance conducts a collaboration with figure skating. The idea by Betina Popova, it was realized by Anastasia Yurasova and Denis Lunin. Thanks to Olga Romanova, Andrei's personal manager, and her helpers from the fan club for the experiment. Much respect to Andrei for agreeing to this experiment and fully invested in the production of the number.

Unfortunately, Andrei and the dancers are now getting a lot of undeserved heckling, but I hope that this will not affect their determination and such experiments will soon become permanent.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The hut she appeared out of and the drum are similar to this picture though. But I don't know. It's not something I know anything about apart from googling.

220px-SB_-_Altay_shaman_with_drum.jpg

I have to say I like Kamila's program even more with subsequent viewings. It seems two of the judges really despised her to give her such marks.
I live in Western Siberia, where the traditions of small peoples - Khanty, Mansi, Selkup, Nenets - are very strong. My ancestors on my father's side were Voguls, who are also people with archaic beliefs. So we have quite strong traditions of shamanism, I mean, you go 5 kilometers away from a big city, you get to a protected area and you can talk to a shaman there.
Shamanism is widespread throughout Siberia from the Urals to the Pacific Ocean, so I would not venture to say which people's traditions Kamila is referring to. It's probably really something we have in common. She is dressed as a squaw, and her dwelling resembles a tent, which is common in Siberia, for example, among the Nenets.
Kamila will soon take part in a festival in Yakutia, probably, the ethnic motifs of the demonstration number will be more than appropriate. And yes, we don't see anything wrong with that.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
They will say:
“OK, Russians, if you’d like to come to the Olympics…”

And Russians will say:
“What do you mean? We are busy. We are going to prepare to the funniest competition of the year just about the time.”
"What time would you be more comfortable moving the Olympics to have time to hold your event with the proper scope?" :biggrin: