Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023 | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Gala Competition "Russian Challenge" 2023

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:dbana:
Russian Fed/Channel One missed an opportunity to have Shcherbakova be part of the routine, like have her sitting at the judging table staring him down, have her go out and smack him with the flowers while wearing her OGM, etc.
Or just have her as a judge and score the routine a zero.

All these are fun hypotheticals but this is Anna we are talking about. She is too unflappable to get caught up in reporter drama.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I don't understand what's being said - he makes harsh remarks about a skater and is being smashed with roses by a fan of hers?
The voice explains the plot. The style is a bit like a fairy tale.

The voice says that Dmitri Kuznetsov really likes to annoy skaters with provocative questions and come up with catchy headlines, even though he can't skate himself. He loved figure skating for its scandals, intrigue and sensations until he saw a beautiful figure skater. He was shocked and realised that figure skating is very difficult, and it's hard to repeat even one pose (It looked like Kuznetsov was trying to repeat some well-known poses. I noticed Shcherbakova's M&M). Years later the girl became an Olympic champion. She was so good that a fan ran out onto the ice. And then he saw the journalist who had annoyed him for years.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
The voice explains the plot. The style is a bit like a fairy tale.

The voice says that Dmitri Kuznetsov really likes to annoy skaters with provocative questions and come up with catchy headlines, even though he can't skate himself. He loved figure skating for its scandals, intrigue and sensations until he saw a beautiful figure skater. He was shocked and realised that figure skating is very difficult, and it's hard to repeat even one pose (It looked like Kuznetsov was trying to repeat some well-known poses. I noticed Shcherbakova's M&M). Years later the girl became an Olympic champion. She was so good that a fan ran out onto the ice. And then he saw the journalist who had annoyed him for years.

Ah, thank you.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So it looks like the entertainment started early.

One thing that I didn’t like here is glorifying mark fans getting on the rink.

I know the above clip was a show meant to be funny, but it was based on a real life event from a few months ago that was not funny.

I called it out when it happened.

And yes, I’m probably overreacting since 99.99999 (substitute a comma for the period if you use the metric system) percent of these incidents are innocent, but if nobody gets on the ice that doesn’t belong there, that number will always be 100%.

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Russian figure skater Andrei Mozalev explained to Match TV who worked on staging his number for the showpiece tournament and also revealed the main idea behind the performance.

Mozalev performed a showpiece number at the tournament to the song Sevdaliza surrounded by seven girls. The figure skater took 16th place with 16.25 points. The winner was Alexey Yagudin (20 points).

- Quite a charismatic performance, whose idea and what is the point of the number?

- The idea belongs to Lelya Romanova, the founder of my fan club. She's a very creative and creative person, she does figure skating herself and she's into different kinds of dance.

I liked the idea. It was a way of showing me from a different angle; I wanted to go beyond the usual lyrical-romantic image and try to "make friends" figure skating and dance.

As for the plot of the number: it is our interpretation of Patrick Suskind's bestseller "Perfumer. The Story of a Murderer". The souls of the girls I murdered come back to me in my dreams. Each murdered soul exudes the scent that was so brutally taken from her.

At some point, I begin to lose the line between reality and dreams and maniacally try to reacquire the scents that have already been stolen. Eventually, I go insane and stay there forever, beyond the mind, in madness and my sick dreams along with the souls of the girls...

- Who did you set the programme with?

- The dance part was choreographed by Nastia Yurasova, the founder of frame-up, while the ice production was done by my permanent choreographer Denis Lunin. We combined and finalised both parts by joint efforts, at joint rehearsals," Mozalev told Match TV.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I've only skimmed the ladies so far. Going to watch everyone else later.

Sofia - Was this a Russian version of Sailor Moon? :biggrin: I loved it. The moon, her dress and hair, and the choreo. Yes, she doesn't emote as usual, but she's so pretty and does everything so well that I always like it anyway.

Evgenia - gorgeous dress and music was pretty, just not a lot happening.

Anna - hated it. But that's pretty typical. I hate most of Anna's programs. She's always given ugly content.

Alina - really bad vehicle for her. Not a good choice at all. Hated it.

Kamila - Interesting! Great costume and choreo! And made me realize HOW LONG it's been since I've seen any kind of program based on a different culture in the slightest. We're all trapped with these bland "offend no one" programs since most people have to hire a team of expensive experts to avoid offending the hive of liberals on social media.
Important questions:
1. So that rain that fell on Kamila, was it freezing cold? I guess she's super warm from running the program, but brrr!! 🥶
2. Is her costume waterproof??!? They just drenched her expensive costume in water!! I think her makeup must be waterproof because it didn't run down her face at all.
3. What does that rain do to the surface of the ice?? Would it create pinprick pimples where it falls or would the surface remain smooth? My rink gets big nodules built up from drips from the ceiling on a humid day.

Selivanovp

Rinkside
3. What does that rain do to the surface of the ice?? Would it create pinprick pimples where it falls or would the surface remain smooth? My rink gets big nodules built up from drips from the ceiling on a humid day.
It created a puddle. Kondratyuk said, that he got wet in that puddle and thought that it's strange that ice started to melt, and only later remembered that Kami's rain.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
There, Mozalev, that’s how one sells introvert with profound depth on ice. Spotlight should be on you, and only on you, and everything should be perfect and understandable. 🙌
No way! 😑 This story on ice is so boring and simplistic. Misha can teach Andrei a lot in terms of skater skills, but not in terms of charisma or originality. I'm okay with experimenting with modern heel dances and even pylon, hip-hop or whatever 🤭 it's at least a sign of finding your own way rather than copying your own and borrowing successful samples.

icewhite

Record Breaker
No way! 😑 This story on ice is so boring and simplistic. Misha can teach Andrei a lot in terms of skater skills, but not in terms of charisma or originality. I'm okay with experimenting with modern heel dances and even pylon, hip-hop or whatever 🤭 it's at least a sign of finding your own way rather than copying your own and borrowing successful samples.

I agree Misha's program idea was (disappointingly) boring, but it is always amazing to see how much you can transport just through your movements. Misha does that. Most viewers, including me, felt it. He has tons of charisma.

I just saw that Semenenko's program indeed gets some love on twitter, while elsewhere people are a bit disturbed by the "sex doll". :biggrin:

A bolder choice will rarely be a non controversial hit, either you play it safe or you will get polarized opinions.

It is worth it trying new things in my eyes, but you have to be prepared that not everybody loves it/you. In the end it is probably most important that you are true to yourself and do a program that you like, as long as you don't seriously offend other people, which I think is unnecessary in a show. Personally I had some problems with the "dancers" being used like things. They didn't have an identity or active part in the program, they are real life people, but there they were more like objects. Of course that fits the story. And I think they could not do much more, since it was the skater who was supposed to do the show. Hm. Like I said, I didn't like it very much, but I wouldn't beat him up for it.

In the beginning I thought I wouldn't care about the scores, but then I did after all, when I saw how seriously the skaters took them and how it brought them down that their work was not rewarded. Of course they are all competitive people. But I also remembered how I react to negative reactions about my texts (I write): It is much easier to accept criticism about some crafting aspect: here the plot falls off, this should be shortened, things like that. But if you bring in your personal feelings and thoughts and those get critisized or are met with indifference, that is much harder to take. Usually the skaters do show programs just for the fun of the audience and themselves. Maybe, despite us all liking a competition, it should stay that way. Or if it doesn't, the skaters need to realize that the scores don't mean anything real.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I agree Misha's program idea was (disappointingly) boring, but it is always amazing to see how much you can transport just through your movements. Misha does that. Most viewers, including me, felt it. He has tons of charisma.

I just saw that Semenenko's program indeed gets some love on twitter, while elsewhere people are a bit disturbed by the "sex doll". :biggrin:

A bolder choice will rarely be a non controversial hit, either you play it safe or you will get polarized opinions.

It is worth it trying new things in my eyes, but you have to be prepared that not everybody loves it/you. In the end it is probably most important that you are true to yourself and do a program that you like, as long as you don't seriously offend other people, which I think is unnecessary in a show. Personally I had some problems with the "dancers" being used like things. They didn't have an identity or active part in the program, they are real life people, but there they were more like objects. Of course that fits the story. And I think they could not do much more, since it was the skater who was supposed to do the show. Hm. Like I said, I didn't like it very much, but I wouldn't beat him up for it.

In the beginning I thought I wouldn't care about the scores, but then I did after all, when I saw how seriously the skaters took them and how it brought them down that their work was not rewarded. Of course they are all competitive people. But I also remembered how I react to negative reactions about my texts (I write): It is much easier to accept criticism about some crafting aspect: here the plot falls off, this should be shortened, things like that. But if you bring in your personal feelings and thoughts and those get critisized or are met with indifference, that is much harder to take. Usually the skaters do show programs just for the fun of the audience and themselves. Maybe, despite us all liking a competition, it should stay that way. Or if it doesn't, the skaters need to realize that the scores don't mean anything real.

I can't see Mikhail as a charismatic figure skater, but if someone thinks otherwise, that's okay, everyone has different opinion.
About the reaction on scores, I think that all skaters took some comfort: those who did not get prizes, got the popularity of the numbers, the most attention-grabbing numbers are still being discussed. It's more frustrating for those who didn't get anything and didn't attract attention.

In fact, I am puzzled by how differently skaters understood their task; conventionally speaking, some put on ordinary show numbers that can be performed in normal situations, some made an attempt to put on a show with plenty of decorations or try things they have never tried, like a singer or dancers on ice. Perhaps if the assignment had been worded more clearly, there would have been less frustration.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I think next year they should create categories based on music style, program theme, props/no props, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed everything we saw but there's always some room for improvement or better recognizing what is put out by skaters, if you are only going to judge on performance how can you really compare between a program like Semenenko and Kolyada.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

icewhite

Record Breaker
Analysis of show numbers from three-time world champions in sport dancing Marina and Artemiy Katashinskiy

It's an interesting read because it gives insight into what the jurors probably thought.
I don't agree with them on many things, though, and find them very snobbish and old fashioned "intellectual" - but that might also be because of the translation. I also don't see how for instance Kamila had a less "primitive" / simple concept than some others they seemed to like less.

It would indeed be really helpful though for another competition like this if such judging factors as mentioned here would be presented before the event.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
It would indeed be really helpful though for another competition like this if such judging factors as mentioned here would be presented before the event.

I agree that the evaluation criteria should have been clearly defined before the start of the tournament. Now there is a lot of fear that at the next tournament athletes will no longer be creative and come up with something unusual, because they will be sure that their efforts will not be evaluated.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Sorry I missed it a week ago, but better later than never. A social media post by choreographer Anastasia Yurasova, after reading it you can take a different view of the Mozalev and co. show.

How's that? On strips, on ice?

Difficult, very difficult, rather impossible.
To do something large-scale on ice in terms of dancing now seems even more unreal.

👉🏻 the most important thing is that there is no support, no support at all! You try to push with your foot, but no, the foot flies wherever it wants.
You try to push with your hand, same thing.

👉🏻 it's freezing, your fingers and toes go numb.

👉🏻 It's impossible to get to the point, only to roll. And if you walk with bare feet, they go stiff.

All these factors I understood when I agreed, but it turned out not on this scale.)

How was it?
Yesterday we saw the ice (fucked up, almost nothing done) 👉🏻Пошли changed the number 👉🏻Пришли the next day, and the ice is prepared so that even what I could not get 👉🏻Пошли stick tapes on their toes 👉🏻Молились to get everything to a decent level, because we were not given more runs.

Anyway, I am so proud of them, I do not know what kind of power came to them, but it all looked very nice.

Of course I wanted to think more of the concept, to combine it with the skater and make more interaction, but the possibility of temporary it was not.

I wanted at least a little practice on the ice to get used to, to understand how to make it so as not to slip during every movement and more adjust the choreography to the conditions.

Conclusion: I did it for the interest, for the experience, the new, unusual, just a cosmic experience.
It seems that it could not be scarier.)

We created a frame up show on ice.
For the first time in the history of figure skaters and dancers to unite for the sake of creation.

And of course .

Thank you all for your support.
Hug you, my incredible girls, who with me have created this show and made it seem unreal @badaevanastasia @kolesnikova.maria_ @p_petropavlovskaya @_nataly_pro_ @kristingriii @zavicktorina @iron_dancer
Andrei @mozalev_andrei and even Channel 1 (with dedication)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I prefer storytelling in skating, which Mozalev usually does. In this one, at least on TV, it was just so messy and, the main thing, the focus wasn't on Mozalev. He already has trouble gathering attention to himself, with the collective of maidens, it was hard to see where the heck he even was. He didn't hold the spotlight, despite the originality of the (later) explained concept.