Gel discs for accessory navicular | Golden Skate

Gel discs for accessory navicular

Anya00

Rinkside
I have accessory navicular bones on both feet and I’ve been wearing the same boots since around 2019 (I skated on and off for a couple years for ~1 hr/week and then took a 2 year break so the boots are still pretty new). Right before I stopped 2 years ago, one of my accessory naviculars started hurting in the skate and would be sore for a couple days after, and now that I’ve just gotten back, this feels unsustainable. I’m assuming it’s because the padding is no longer as “fluffy” as when it was new.

I’ve gotten some gel discs ~2.5 inches in diameter and was wondering if it’s okay to just stick them over that part of my foot and skate that way. Will this affect my boots (Risport Electras) or my balance/skating? If not, is it something I’d have to do to both feet to keep myself balanced?

I know some people have the boots punched out but I’m worried the heel will become too loose since I’ve always had problems getting my heels locked. It took many trips to the skate tech to get my current heel lock so I’m really wary of messing with anything.

Elija

On the Ice
I don’t think the gel disks will work unfortunately. Been there, tried that. For me the only thing that works is getting the spot punched out. Absolutely cannot skate even for ten seconds otherwise. The only other option is to make a little donut to go around the bone out of a thin foam. You need to create space for the bone, not just put something against it, which I have found makes it even worse. I didn’t find punching the boots had any effect on the heel, and I’ve had four pairs of boots punched out like that now. It’s only a small round punch around the top lace hole area, but you can still pull the laces tight as normal.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I don’t think the gel disks will work unfortunately. Been there, tried that. For me the only thing that works is getting the spot punched out. Absolutely cannot skate even for ten seconds otherwise. The only other option is to make a little donut to go around the bone out of a thin foam. You need to create space for the bone, not just put something against it, which I have found makes it even worse. I didn’t find punching the boots had any effect on the heel, and I’ve had four pairs of boots punched out like that now. It’s only a small round punch around the top lace hole area, but you can still pull the laces tight as normal.
Do you mind sharing pictures of your punched out boot? I was very curious about how it would affect the lace hole because that’s pretty much where I need to get mine done eventually. And I say eventually because I can tolerate it but would like to be more confortable.

Elija

On the Ice
Do you mind sharing pictures of your punched out boot? I was very curious about how it would affect the lace hole because that’s pretty much where I need to get mine done eventually. And I say eventually because I can tolerate it but would like to be more confortable.
I took a picture but am not really sure how to post it sorry! It seems you have to upload it somewhere online to be able to attach it. You can’t really see very clearly where it’s punched out anyway. I promise it hasn’t made the ankle looser though!

Edit - have sent you a DM with the picture. Was able to attach it there.

Last edited:

Anya00

Rinkside
I took a picture but am not really sure how to post it sorry! It seems you have to upload it somewhere online to be able to attach it. You can’t really see very clearly where it’s punched out anyway. I promise it hasn’t made the ankle looser though!

Edit - have sent you a DM with the picture. Was able to attach it there.
Could you please send me a DM with the picture as well?

doogo

Spectator
I'm still new to skating and I have a horrible AN on my left foot that I've found makes it impossible to skate for more than a few minutes with my current boots. I haven't been able to punch them out yet, but these gel pads from Amazon have been helpful to get me through my hockey lessons for the past couple of months. Still not completely pain free but manageable until I feel good enough about the sport to invest in skates that can be molded.