Gracie Gold: Can she medal at JW (and beyond)? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold: Can she medal at JW (and beyond)?

mskater93

Record Breaker
She DOES do clean run throughs in practice - a LOT - and tracks her issues. She DOES video practices. She's been doing this a long time already. Just because Ashley Wagner and Philip Mills just brought it up at 4CC (tracking # of clean run throughs throughout the season) as a method of training doesn't mean that it's new or that others haven't been doing it or that Gracie and her team don't do it (they do). She DOES nitpick every little detail (and so does Alex O) but there also comes a point where a program needs to be set and you need to do it the same way every time out and not make changes. She was at that point early in the season since she had to earn her international with strong summer skating.

This season, she's had 8/8 clean SP in competition (not perfect, but all clean). She has also not made more than 1 big mistake per long program (pop, doubled jump, or fall) in competition and has been 8/8 on the 3+3 and 8/8 on the 2A+3 combination. Typically her mistakes come on easier items or immediately after the second combination (it's either been on the 2A in the second half or on the 3Lo immediately after the 2A+3 both attributable to "letting up" just a little, which she will admit to doing when you talk to her).

macy

Record Breaker
Well, I could see her move to senior in nationals but stay junior internationally, because with her talent I could see her making the JGP Final and easily winning junior worlds, she doesn't risk the chance of what puberty could do to her, and assuming that the russian talents are moving up to the senior gp she doesn't have much competition, hell I could see her with vanessa lam and zijun li on the podium next year if it happened!

yes that's true she would do really well in juniors again, but if she wants to make sochi in 2 years moving up to senior the full season would be her smartest choice. she can get used to being a senior and the more difficult programs she would have and get a feel for what it's really like, plus get her name out there even more. moving to senior for the 2013-2014 season for the first time probably wouldn't be a good idea.

mskater93

Record Breaker
yes that's true she would do really well in juniors again, but if she wants to make sochi in 2 years moving up to senior the full season would be her smartest choice. she can get used to being a senior and the more difficult programs she would have and get a feel for what it's really like, plus get her name out there even more. moving to senior for the 2013-2014 season for the first time probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I am guessing it will depend on whether she can get Senior GP events (since they reduced the # of skaters per event). If she can get 1 outside the US and then (if necessary) a host pick to Skate America, then she would probably PREFER Senior this coming year. If she's only going to get 1 GP event total, it would make sense to do JGP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie isn't in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but she is #11 on the Seasons Best list. Even with some ladies passing her on the SB list after Worlds and Senior Bs, she should still remain in the top 24 on the SB list. She also might get a GP for medaling in JW. I think IF Gracie decides to move up to Senior and IF USFS submits Gracie for GP invitations, they might also give her a SA host pick if she gets only one GP invitation at the June meeting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie isn't in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but she is #11 on the Seasons Best list. Even with some ladies passing her on the SB list after Worlds and Senior Bs, she should still remain in the top 24 on the SB list. She also might get a GP for medaling in JW. I think IF Gracie decides to move up to Senior and IF USFS submits Gracie for GP invitations, they might also give her a SA host pick if she gets only one GP invitation at the June meeting.

In 2009-2010, Agnes, if I recall correctly was totally international newcomer — she didn't even get a JGP event — and only had ranking points from just her junior worlds silver in 2010. And she also did not rank as high as Gracie on season's best list (25). She got two senior GP events and neither was a host pick (Cup of Russia, Skate Canada).

So I think there's a good chance Gracie will also get two events. Part of the invite is buzz as much as ranking — and I think Gracie had generated enough positive buzz internationally this week for some host nations to consider inviting her.

Of course, the other thing to consider is that there were more spots in 2010-2011 GP series; but still I think Gracie has a good shot of getting two events.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
However, you should remember that a lot of modern dance still takes some basics from ballet.

Indeed it does. As does figure skating itself along with many other dance forms. But that's partly my point: you don't have to take ballet to learn some of the lines and posture in ballet that apply to figure skating.

Figure skating isn't ballet on ice. It really isn't. Don't understand why people are always so eager for ballet to have a monopoly on the words graceful, elegant, good posture, lines, etc. As if it were the only source of those things.

This is very true and important to remember. Figure skaters absolutely do not need pointed feet and turn out and everything else to do very well in the sport. Figure skating has its own orthodoxy, no doubt, but within its framework, it allows many, many, MANY kinds of styles, narratives and forms to succeed. And I feel that coaches/choreographers need to keep this in mind more often. The balletic style is often not the right one for a skater. I mean sure, a skater who is resistant to it may be able to finally pick up a bit of ballet after a lot of work. But why not save that effort and time when there are so many other things to train in figure skating? Find a style that suits a skater, one that allows him/her to express him/herself fully and honestly. I think that's what most audiences and judges will connect with.

So I don't actually think it's a priority to make sure Gracie has the best posture and lines (she's not so shabby currently). I'd rather see Gracie get some sort of training so that she's more aware of how her movements are talking, and taking ownership of what they're saying. I want to see her feel her movement and make the audience feel it, too. That, I think, is what her skating can use the most improvement in currently.

christinaskater

Medalist
^ I agree with your comments.
I believe Gracie will be getting 2 senior grand prix assignments for the next season.
The key is to get the best program.
Get the best music and choreography to suit her and sell the movements and make the audience and judges feel the emotion.
Next year is a crucial step.

I think it is good she is taking it one step at a time and not rushing it.
We have skaters like Julia, who at 13 years old, is focused to win the gold at Sochi!

mskater93

Record Breaker
christinaskater;623066I think it is good she is taking it one step at a time and not rushing it. We have skaters like Julia said:
Do you honestly think Gracie and her team aren't looking at Sochi as a golden opportunity? They are just taking a different approach in how they talk about it and discuss it than "I want to win and I want to win now" because of the way it weighs on the skater's mind

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie could be the second coming of Kim Yuna or will surpass Michelle Kwan in US Skating achievements
I believe Gracie has never been off the podium her entire novice or junior career right ???

I agree, Gracie's skating just needs more polishing in her artistry
but ready to go seniors GP next season hopefully with better program and choreography

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gracie could be the second coming of Kim Yuna or will surpass Michelle Kwan in US Skating achievements
I believe Gracie has never been off the podium her entire novice or junior career right ???

Whoa, cart before the horse much?? :eek:

Anyway, I'm interested to see how she handles the transition into seniors. From what I've heard about her, sounds like she should be fine, but it's still something she's yet to do (and needs to do).

mskater93

Record Breaker
If she can handle the expectations she's set for this past season, Seniors will be an easier transition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she thinks the hype machine is crazy now, just wait until she's up for an Olympic spot...it'll be in overdrive by that point, should it arrive.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She just completely thinks it's all a bunch of crap and kind of lives in her own little bubble with regard to expectations.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She just completely thinks it's all a bunch of crap and kind of lives in her own little bubble with regard to expectations.

Well, she's going to have to if she's to succeed. Looks like she has the right mindset, so far at least.

macy

Record Breaker
its a good mindset to have. when she talked about living up to the hype she's created this past season she didn't seem intimidated by it, but more excited. maybe even like she thrives off it, which is great for a skater to not be scared of it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. She doesn't seem like a headcase and actually acts more mature then someone like Mirai who needs to start growing up. The being cute act is starting to get old.