Gracie Gold: Can she medal at JW (and beyond)? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold: Can she medal at JW (and beyond)?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

actually Gracie already does ballet training
and I agree her jumps remind me of Yuna, she also has the glamorous look most girls would just die to have

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

yes, very hollywood look, she looks like Michelle Williams and Carolyn Murphy morphed

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner had better medal at Worlds this year if she has any chance to keep her status as #1 American over an emerging Gold next year.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gracie also has mental toughness, a huge asset. She was not in the least intimidated by the widespread talk of a Russian sweep, but went in there and gave it her all. She's aware of areas that need development and is eager to improve.

After Elisaveta withdrew I think the Russian sweep talk was already dead. Nobody (atleast nobody who follows skating) would have predicted Polina on the podium this year.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As we all know though there's a big difference skating in the Junior ranks then as a Senior against the big girls. Add the pressure that is sure to be put on her as the next big thing in US skating and it might be a bit overwhelming for her next season. All the more reason though to go the Senior GP next season. Waiting until the Olympic season to go to Seniors is not a good idea. Even if Gracie struggles a bit next year she will have another year to sort herself out.

DianaSelene

Medalist
^

actually Gracie already does ballet training
and I agree her jumps remind me of Yuna, she also has the glamorous look most girls would just die to have

Then why does it not look like she does ballet? I mean it's great that she does it but I don't really see good posture or precision that she should get from ballet.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I doubt she does ballet with ABT or the Bolshoi.

But you don't need the best of the best to teach you basic stuff that should help. She's not doing fouettes and chasses on ice. To improve, you need normal dance lessons at even a local studio and working with a choreographer every day.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Many of you coming to Gold's defense about her apparent ability to deal with pressure and mentioning that she's likely done growing. While that's nice and all, it will be a different ballgame once she steps up to senior level. That's another reason why I think it would be a good idea for her to take the leap into seniors next season (since she seems to be shooting for 2014). Get acclimated to the scene and then you can make a serious run for 2014.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Whatever she does, unless she is US champion and a world medallist next year, there will be second guessing--what do you want to bet? She should do what feels right to her.

macy

Record Breaker
^ i also think she's gorgeous. she has the hollywood look with a very pretty smile.

i don't remember where i heard it or read it, but this past week gracie said that she is undecided whether she will stay junior next year or move up. i really hope she moves up with the olympics 2 years away as she will need the experience on the senior circuit. the more, the better at this point. staying junior would be a bad idea as others have said, moving to senior olympic year would be a really bad idea..at this point, i do think it is safe to say she is the next big thing for the US. she is not a little girl like rachael, mirai, and caroline were when people started labeling them at 13 or 14. gracie has already had a growthspurt (not saying she won't have another one, but it's probably unlikely being that she's 16) and most likely doesn't have to go through any more big physical changes like they did. as of right now everything is good timing with her.

and if anyone was wondering, i know many people have said gracie's LP dress looks just like yuna kim's scheherezade dress, and i was actually on youtube earlier on her channel and one fan had commented on her skate detroit fs from last year about her dress, and gracie responded saying she did copy the front of yuna's dress because she liked it so much. fun fact!

DianaSelene

Medalist
^ i also think she's gorgeous. she has the hollywood look with a very pretty smile.

i don't remember where i heard it or read it, but this past week gracie said that she is undecided whether she will stay junior next year or move up. i really hope she moves up with the olympics 2 years away as she will need the experience on the senior circuit. the more, the better at this point. staying junior would be a bad idea as others have said, moving to senior olympic year would be a really bad idea..at this point, i do think it is safe to say she is the next big thing for the US. she is not a little girl like rachael, mirai, and caroline were when people started labeling them at 13 or 14. gracie has already had a growthspurt (not saying she won't have another one, but it's probably unlikely being that she's 16) and most likely doesn't have to go through any more big physical changes like they did. as of right now everything is good timing with her.

and if anyone was wondering, i know many people have said gracie's LP dress looks just like yuna kim's scheherezade dress, and i was actually on youtube earlier on her channel and one fan had commented on her skate detroit fs from last year about her dress, and gracie responded saying she did copy the front of yuna's dress because she liked it so much. fun fact!

She did say that before worlds, right? Maybe she will change her mind now that she medalled.

macy

Record Breaker
i actually just found it...icenetwork's article after the LP yesterday.

"Gold, who competed in just one Junior Grand Prix last fall, is undecided on what her immediate future holds.
'I will pass the senior test soon, but we have not decided yet if I keep junior or move to senior,' she said. "It would be cool to get a senior Grand Prix."

crossing my fingers she'll move up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Whatever she does, unless she is US champion and a world medallist next year, there will be second guessing--what do you want to bet? She should do what feels right to her.

Probably.

Personally, I think top 4 would be a great season for her. But again, she needs to take that next step and really begin performing, selling her programs. That's where she is lacking and she will continue to fall short in the PCS category until that is addressed.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Then why does it not look like she does ballet? I mean it's great that she does it but I don't really see good posture or precision that she should get from ballet.

Lots of skaters train a bit in ballet without the results being clear. The most likely reason? They don't do enough of it. Not enough so that it's automatic and entrenched in their movement. It may also be because they didn't start doing it young enough. Or their ballet instructors aren't disciplinarian enough. Or it could just be that some people aren't ever going to absorb the ballet aesthetic.

I am OK with that though. I don't think one needs to be genuinely balletic to be graceful, moving, elegant and entertaining on ice. And I think a lot of ballet's philosophy of movement simply wouldn't work in skating, where the physics is different.

I only know of two examples, but so far I like what training in modern dance has done for skaters more so than ballet training. Savchenko/Szolkowy did some modern dance, and it comes off beautifully in their FS, but especially well in their exhibition number to Lang Lang. And modern dance training has especially improved Patrick Chan, whom I find a lot more expressive with his entire body now. I think the benefits of traditional ballet training, with its emphasis on line and posture being the most applicable to skating, is something that can be conveyed just as well on ice. On the other hand, modern dance, where its emphasis is more on expressing oneself, digging in and reaching out emotionally, can really help skaters become more honest in their movement.

So rather than ape ballet, which may or may not be the right style for Gracie, I'd rather see her get some form of dance training that helps her find her own style. I think that will help her reach the audience the most.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie gets two GP assignments next season. It's time to give this girl a push since i think she might be the best bet the US has for 2014. Someone like Rachael should not get two GP events. Or maybe someone like Christina Gao should be cut back to just one GP. Gracie did better in her one JR Worlds appearance then Gao has in the last three years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
While I agree about pushing other talents over Gao at this point, I'd be careful to give up on her so quick.

^ This could be a turning point for Christina herself, though. She's kind of plateaued and Gracie has overtaken her. She's college-age now. She may remove herself from the equation. It can't be much use financially to have a lot of fifth-place finishes (and worse).

I hope not because she's so talented - just saying it's not really a matter of other people giving up on her. She may have some tough decisions.