Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released

Ziotic

Medalist
Yes, Jason fur sure will not compete in GP this season either. But he earned his spot on the Replacement List, so if he changes his mind?...
He won’t be on the list since his name was not submitted for GP.

If it was, he would have two spots.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uhhhh - his name was first on the list!
Is it an official list? I thought it was some kind soul here worked them out for us.

If Jason did turn around and decide to do the GP, do I understand it rightly that it would be complicated fitting him in because of seeding?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am most looking forward to Skate America and NHK Trophy. Skate America men's Kevin, Deniss, Andreas and Andrew..my heart will stop.
NHK women's. Mai, Yelim and Haein .

What competition is everybody most excited about?

noskates

Record Breaker
I believe the list was made from points accrued during last season. Numbers don't lie. Which kind of makes me wonder about some of the comments made in this thread about people thinking their favorite skater should have been assigned a GP. You can wish they were assigned (I did this with Sam) but at some point reality has to set in. I've also heard and read where a skater or skaters have said they are now skating for themselves. I would like them to skate for their country as well. JMO.

Ivana

On the Ice
I believe the list was made from points accrued during last season. Numbers don't lie.
Solely based on his placement at Worlds last season Jason earned 2 spots and as he finished in top 6 was also a seeded skater on top of that. As his name is not on the initial list, it's clear he refused the spots and is not doing GP, thus he is also not included on replacement list, no matter how many points he earned last season...

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
USFS didn't give any spots to Lucas.

I think it would help if the OP stated the rules at this point. So many people are confused about how this works.

Each GP host has 3 spots for their own skaters. They invite the others based on a few criteria.
Top twelve at worlds gets 2 spots etc etc.. (there are a few things to consider here).

In other words, each skater earns their own qualification. Then GP hosts have to select them based on that. Host spots do not need to meet the criteria.

Lucas got invited because his season's best score was high enough to earn a spot... and he was invited by another host.
Skate America invited Ilia, Maxim and Andrew.

So, if Lucas had decided to do JGP instead, another skater would have been invited among the eligible one... and Sam Mindra doesn't belong to that list.
Thanks for emphasizing this. The process still brings up a lot of questions and confusion regarding exactly how everything transpires.

I thought top skaters also have some minor choice in GP assignments? I guess they have the right perhaps to refuse one invite in favor of another. Or to refuse altogether, as Jason B has done, which is rare. As well, is there a list put out under a points system? Which GP hosts get to pick first?

Interestingly, Meagan Duhamel was on TSL's latest episode discussing GP assignments. She feels that the U.S. is smart in strategically allowing their top pairs teams to get picked by other host countries, which opens up more opportunities for other U.S. teams at SA, who aren't guaranteed one GP spot, let alone two.

OTOH, Duhamel feels that SC did not use this same strategy to their advantage. But, in any case, SC is working with a different set of circumstances. Albeit that decisions by federations don't always seem to be the smartest, but sometimes their hands are tied by financial concerns, or by the antiquated rules and archaic and confusing competitive system the sport continues to operate under.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks for emphasizing this. The process still brings up a lot of questions and confusion regarding exactly how everything transpires.

I thought top skaters also have some minor choice in GP assignments? I guess they have the right perhaps to refuse one invite in favor of another. Or to refuse altogether, as Jason B has done, which is rare. As well, is there a list put out under a points system? Which GP hosts get to pick first?

Interestingly, Meagan Duhamel was on TSL's latest episode discussing GP assignments. She feels that the U.S. is smart in strategically allowing their top pairs teams to get picked by other host countries, which opens up more opportunities for other U.S. teams at SA, who aren't guaranteed one GP spot, let alone two.

OTOH, Duhamel feels that SC did not use this same strategy to their advantage. But, in any case, SC is working with a different set of circumstances. Albeit that decisions by federations don't always seem to be the smartest, but sometimes their hands are tied by financial concerns, or by the antiquated rules and archaic and confusing competitive system the sport continues to operate under.
Meagan is right.
If you want to know all about the process for GP selection, simply read the ISU rules :)

Selection Criteria 2023/24

The Skaters are seeded and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results obtained at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023. Skaters/couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and skaters with a top 24 Season Best Scores (from the 2022/23 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. The ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships medalists and Junior Grand Prix Final winners can also be selected provided they meet the senior age criteria, which must be at least 16 years old by July 1st 2023 according to decisions taken at the ISU 58th Congress 2022 (refer to the Age Limit FAQ and News and ISU Communication 2472 for more information).

In order for a Skater/couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2022/23 or current 2023/24 season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

To access Entries and Standings from the previous seasons, please visit our archives page.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Solely based on his placement at Worlds last season Jason earned 2 spots and as he finished in top 6 was also a seeded skater on top of that. As his name is not on the initial list, it's clear he refused the spots and is not doing GP, thus he is also not included on replacement list, no matter how many points he earned last season...
That's what I thought, thank you; it was his choice not to do the GP.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I hope rika kihira doesn't have to withdraw! Is it her toe again? She was recovering last season but still received good scores. Is it that she tried to do harder jumps that hurt her toe further? From what I'm told, rika does the correct edge on both lutz and flip; did she hurt her foot and can't lean her foot in the correct way or something?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Where is the "official" replacement list located?
There is no official list. Just what is stated in the rules. The official replacement rules for this season are not released yet, so when I compiled the list I assumed they would be the same as last season. The replacement procedure hasn't changed in years.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no official list. Just what is stated in the rules. The official replacement rules for this season are not released yet, so when I compiled the list I assumed they would be the same as last season. The replacement procedure hasn't changed in years.

@Jontor thank you for compiling the list, it is very interesting.

Although you did preface it, might I suggest that Jason's name is removed from this list? He is not doing the GP and he is not making himself available as an alternate for the GP. He has said he may do a Challenger this year prior to US Nats as a "tune up", but that is it. Of course, it is your list, and I don't want to come across as heavy-handed :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've also heard and read where a skater or skaters have said they are now skating for themselves. I would like them to skate for their country as well. JMO.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Most athletes do have to balance the two, and it can't be easy.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope rika kihira doesn't have to withdraw! Is it her toe again? She was recovering last season but still received good scores. Is it that she tried to do harder jumps that hurt her toe further? From what I'm told, rika does the correct edge on both lutz and flip; did she hurt her foot and can't lean her foot in the correct way or something?
She had bad news recently regarding her condition.

macy

Record Breaker
She had bad news recently regarding her condition.

i said this in her FF, but girl needs to REST if she ever wants to come back.

I am most looking forward to Skate America and NHK Trophy. Skate America men's Kevin, Deniss, Andreas and Andrew..my heart will stop.
NHK women's. Mai, Yelim and Haein .

What competition is everybody most excited about?
generally speaking i'm so excited for Wakaba's return!! i hope she stays healthy and has a successful comeback.

same for Bradie, i hope she keeps her positive momentum from last year. i'd love to see her cement herself as top US lady again and give Isabeau some solid competition.

noskates

Record Breaker
Totally agree about Bradie. She was never one of my favorites until this year. I think the move to France and a new coaching team has been wonderful for her. I feel like she's finally connecting with the audience and doesn't come off as the ice queen as she has in the past for me.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
@Jontor thank you for compiling the list, it is very interesting.

Although you did preface it, might I suggest that Jason's name is removed from this list? He is not doing the GP and he is not making himself available as an alternate for the GP. He has said he may do a Challenger this year prior to US Nats as a "tune up", but that is it. Of course, it is your list, and I don't want to come across as heavy-handed :)
Done

noskates

Record Breaker
Both Gracie Gold and Jimmy Ma have stated they're skating for themselves. I imagine there is more to that but essentially they're skating for the joy of it and not necessarily the competition of it. To answer your question. And, of course, there is a balance - one would hope that if you didn't like it you'd would quit. However, IMO if you're not on the ice to "win" than what?????

soccerjc77

On the Ice
if you're not on the ice to "win" than what?????

Winning isn't necessary the motivation to continue skating. Imagine if all the woman skater in the past season would have withdraw just because they have no quad to be competitive against Russian woman skater.

All those woman skater know that they cannot winning without a quad or a triple axel.

Those woman skater outside of russia manage to have the motivation to continue skating even if they know that their chance to medal was slim and unlikely to happen.