Greatest skaters not to win?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest skaters not to win??

lil lion 816

Rinkside
All choices strictly IMO, of course.

Best skaters to never win a US National title:

There's a group of men l (personally) call the "Heartbreak 7": Shepherd Clark, Aren Nielsen, Erik Larson, Craig Heath, Doug Mattis, Matt Savoie & Ryan Jahnke.
I feel that any of these lads could have (and some *should* have) won a National title, but for lack of an triple axel, or being steady competitors, or injury, or whatever, the stars never quite aligned for them. There were some Jr. World Champs and medalists, and Jr. National Champs, but on the senior level these guys have (so far) not won a US title, been in the top 10 at Worlds (so far), won a "Grand Prix" event so far (some won Nebelhorn or Finlandia, but not one of the designated Big Six), or been on an Olympic team (so far). Ryan Jahnke is edging closer and closer and boy, I hope to be able to take him out of this group one of these days!

Honorable mentions : Paul Wylie and Dan Hollander could have also won National titles and World medals, I feel.

Ladies: Angela Nikodinov (yet, I'm still hoping *sigh*), Sasha Cohen (yet), Caryn Kadavy

Best skaters to never win a World title : Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston

Best skaters to not win an Olympic medal : Todd Eldredge, Kurt Browning, Yuka Sato, Denise Biellman

There are more categories, but I'll depress myself if I continue for now. ;)

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Also Josee Chouinard. This is one skater who had it all (in theory) but was a bit of a headcase when it came to the competition.
I just watched her at 93/94 worlds. She did great SPs (4th/3rd) going into the free, and totally messed up the LP. I mean, almost fell apart. Didn't she make a comeback in 1997/98 but not make the team?? I can't remember...:confused:

Vash01

Medalist
I think this thread is about the greatest skaters not to win a major international title (not just the Olympic title), so here is my list.

Bechke & Petrov: They won Russian nationals and pro titles but no worlds or Olympics.

Caryn Kadavy: Never won even a US nationals, although she won some pro titles later.

Surya Bonaly: Should have won a world championship, even without the lack of basic skating skills.

Nancy Kerrigan: Never won a world or Olympic title. Came close to it a few times.

Paul Wylie: He has been so great as a pro, we forget that he never won a world or Olympic title (although he won several pros).

Vash