Han Yan | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Han Yan

AlisaH

Spectator
it is this post, many Chinese fans think that is his way of very subtly hinting he was forced into retirement due to what rumored.

Han posted a Chinese idiom on his Weibo earlier, which means Death is preferable to dishonor. He may have deleted that but the Chinese forum has a screenshot. So sad for him.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
There's no way to know which rumors are true but it is disconcerting some people want to believe the worst, like the fed is out to sabotage skaters, etc. but why? Their goal is to win competitions, as is the goal of all athletes and feds around the world. The coach sitting in K&C is especially pointless argument, most of the time there's two coaches there even when they're all Chinese, I doubt it has anything to do with letting foreign coaches get credit or w/e.

Even trying to get Han Yan into ice dance, *if* that rumor is true, you could look at it in a positive way. They don't see a future for him in men's, but they still value him as a skater and offered him an alternative path. Everyone was so quick to jump on "he can't lift with his shoulder injuries" as if the fed wanted to deliberately hurt him further by making such a suggestion. Either way, I guess this rumor is moot since he's retiring, not switching disciplines.

It's unfortunate they couldn't come to any kind of compromise and he's retiring, but that's the nature of the system when the fed pays for everything. They can't just continue to pour money into skaters who they don't think are going anywhere. Of course whether they're right or not is up to one's own opinion but I just think it's pointless to assume all skaters are just victims of an evil fed who want to harm and sabotage them.

Eclair

Medalist
There's no way to know which rumors are true but it is disconcerting some people want to believe the worst, like the fed is out to sabotage skaters, etc. but why? Their goal is to win competitions, as is the goal of all athletes and feds around the world. The coach sitting in K&C is especially pointless argument, most of the time there's two coaches there even when they're all Chinese, I doubt it has anything to do with letting foreign coaches get credit or w/e.

Even trying to get Han Yan into ice dance, *if* that rumor is true, you could look at it in a positive way. They don't see a future for him in men's, but they still value him as a skater and offered him an alternative path. Everyone was so quick to jump on "he can't lift with his shoulder injuries" as if the fed wanted to deliberately hurt him further by making such a suggestion. Either way, I guess this rumor is moot since he's retiring, not switching disciplines.

It's unfortunate they couldn't come to any kind of compromise and he's retiring, but that's the nature of the system when the fed pays for everything. They can't just continue to pour money into skaters who they don't think are going anywhere. Of course whether they're right or not is up to one's own opinion but I just think it's pointless to assume all skaters are just victims of an evil fed who want to harm and sabotage them.

it's not about pouring money into skaters they don't see potential in, since the rumor included, that Han Yan had offered to pay for the training with Raf himself. It's about Chinese fed not allowing their skater to be trained by foreign coaches full time, same as Russian coaches were not allowed to train foreign athletes before Sochi. It's about being homegrown or not.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Guys/gals you've been arguing about this issue for four pages of this fan fest...can you take this conversation through PM or something?

Eclair

Medalist
so much about that it's just a crazy fan rumor that Xiangning Li goes into pairs and Han Yan being forced into ice dance. New interview with HongBo Zhao verifies it. Xiangning Li will try out pairs. There might be some reorganization of dance and pairs. Han Yan fan Van (fan club that is very close with Han Yan) confirms it. He didn't want to go into dance, therefore retired.

so much about that it's just a crazy fan rumor that Xiangning Li goes into pairs and Han Yan being forced into ice dance. New interview with HongBo Zhao verifies it. Xiangning Li will try out pairs. There might be some reorganization of dance and pairs. Han Yan fan Van (fan club that is very close with Han Yan) confirms it. He didn't want to go into dance, therefore retired.

Oh, Yan really is retiring? :/ I was hoping he would be one the two being sent to RA.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
The Han Yan Fan Van Twitter account posted several pictures from Denis Ten and Friends
https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/1005690825639067648

Denis looked really cool in his Greatest Showman costume and Han looked like he was having a great time!

Edit: For some reason, the direct Twitter link to the pictures is not working, but you can just scroll down. This account also posted a couple of the pics from the show:
https://twitter.com/bumpofmikan/status/1005586502636785665

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
It sounds like he's interested in training for Beijing, and I know he can make it if he's given the right coaching to thrive.

Go Han! :yahoo: