Help from ice dance fans. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help from ice dance fans.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I think they really could create something very special with Carol Lane. With Dubrueil & Lauzon, I fear to see them spreading the same old romantic marshmallow fluff over white bread as the other teams there.

I don't know much about the dance scene. Which teams does Carol Lane coach currently?

caitie

Medalist
I don't know much about the dance scene. Which teams does Carol Lane coach currently?

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier are her top team. She also coaches up and coming Canadian teams like Orford and Hill and Poulin and Servant IIRC.

KKonas

Medalist
Torvill and Dean revolutionized ice dancing. Before them, it was Lawrence Welk On Ice! Now that can be enjoyable, but for years there was a debate over whether ice dancing was indeed a sport or just well Lawrence Welk On Ice.

When P/C revolutionize ice dancing to the same degree, then we'll talk. It's a little soon after only three seasons in seniors.

I agree. It's way too early to say P/C are "the best ever dance team." However, they do have great potential since they are young, talented, and early in their career with programs that worked to their fluid style. Let's see how they do with blues, swing or hip hop in the SD next season. Both Torvill & Dean and K&P have had many more seasons on the international circuit to build their wonderful careers as have both V&M and D&W.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Carol Lane hasn't been very publicly supportive of their comeback, though. She sounded peeved about it during her commentary.

Well, if she coaches Gilles & Poirier, I guess she sees V&M as getting in their way. Canada has so many talented teams! But comebacks often don't go quite according to plan and V&M will probably inspire the other Canadian teams to work even harder.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier are her top team. She also coaches up and coming Canadian teams like Orford and Hill and Poulin and Servant IIRC.

Her other students include the Czech junior champions Nicole Kuzmich and Alexandr Sinicyn (11th at 2016 JW), the Canadian junior champs Mackenzie Bent and Dmitre Razgulajevs (9th at 2016 JW), as well as the Canadian novice bronze medallists Irina Galiyanova and Tommy Tang.

FWIW Carol mentioned in PJ's podcast that she thought Tessa and Scott should have won in Sochi.

Barb

Record Breaker
Since forever figure skating fans say we have the best figure skater (individual, pairs or dancers) ever. I don´t wonder why judges give points and score records like candies. We will see if P/C are so spectacular at 2040, like Treovil/Dean did it. Just 2 years ago people were seeing D/W and V/M as gods.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Since forever figure skating fans say we have the best figure skater (individual, pairs or dancers) ever. I don´t wonder why judges give points and score records like candies. We will see if P/C are so spectacular at 2040, like Treovil/Dean did it. Just 2 years ago people were seeing D/W and V/M as gods.

As far as Marlie and Voir, their reputation is solidly earned. For one thing, they probably have had the greatest rivalry over 5 years in ice dancing that I can think of. And in a real sense they also revolutionized the sport, by making it far more acrobatic and, well, sporty. Go back to the period just before they made their initial impact on senior dance and look at the lifts. There's no comparison. No one is questioning anymore whether ice dancing is a sport or not and that is to a great degree due to Marlie and Voir.