Hotels and Trip Details | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hotels and Trip Details

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I would try not to disturb the skaters and let them concentrate on their skating. But I often see people sitting next to the exit and ask for autographs as the skaters leave the ice after the completion of practice.

Well of course I understand this is a big competition for the skaters - I was more inquiring as to if they hold scheduled autograph sessions for skaters or if you have to try and meet them at the end of practice or before the gala...

Wondering if anyone has commuted from downtown Toronto to the competition via public transit and how that went?

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Really do not recommend commuting from downtown Toronto. Would take way too long and several transfers for the most part between 2 or 3 different transit organizations. (I sort of work in that general vicinity of the facility)

Lots of hotels on Eglington between Dixie and Renforth as that's a business district. All the major chains mid size hotels are there.. Courtyard, Hampton, another Marriott one at corner of Orbitor and Eglington (can't remember which one), etc.. (Bell Mobility/Canada, Blackberry, Sobey's has their offices Eastgate/Eglinton area).

IIRC 2011 there were meet and greet autograph signing area on the concourse and walking around, you will see many skaters as well.
Also at the end of the medal ceremonies, the skaters skated around and people got pictures and autographs then as well.
We easily got more than 10+ pictures/autographs that time. And including other skaters training in the area at the time but were not competing.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Really do not recommend commuting from downtown Toronto. Would take way too long and several transfers for the most part between 2 or 3 different transit organizations. (I sort of work in that general vicinity of the facility)

Lots of hotels on Eglington between Dixie and Renforth as that's a business district. All the major chains mid size hotels are there.. Courtyard, Hampton, another Marriott one at corner of Orbitor and Eglington (can't remember which one), etc.. (Bell Mobility/Canada, Blackberry, Sobey's has their offices Eastgate/Eglinton area).

IIRC 2011 there were meet and greet autograph signing area on the concourse and walking around, you will see many skaters as well.
Also at the end of the medal ceremonies, the skaters skated around and people got pictures and autographs then as well.
We easily got more than 10+ pictures/autographs that time. And including other skaters training in the area at the time but were not competing.

I would love for me not to have to commute from Downtown Toronto but because my Aunt lives there, why pay for a hotel room. My Aunt is joining me to watch the live competitions, however, I want to attend the Thursday practices (she's working). Therefore unless someone else is driving out there on Thursday I have no choice but take transit. Looks doable with the subway & buses. Just a matter of doing some good planning beforehand.

Good to hear about the autograph sessions! Hopefully I can get more info on the Thursday or early Friday and be prepared!!

liv

Record Breaker
The weather at the end of October here in southern Ontario could be a mixed bag. The forecast for this fall says we'll have a warm fall, but well, you never can trust the weather man!! Last year you could wear t-shirts at the end of October.... but other years we've even had a flurry or two. I think I can say with certainty that we won't have snow..it'll probably be jacket weather, but not parka weather :) It should be quite pleasant. We will know better a couple weeks closer to the event.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can any locals speak to the Uber situation in Mississauga? I read they were banned but the city council allows them now on a test basis. I won't have a car and will be dependent on taxis and Ubers.

stryke

On the Ice
Can any locals speak to the Uber situation in Mississauga? I read they were banned but the city council allows them now on a test basis. I won't have a car and will be dependent on taxis and Ubers.

I'm looking at my Uber app right now and I see about 8 uber cars in Mississauga right now. I will be needing to utilize uber as well so having a definite answer on this would be helpful.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
I'm looking at my Uber app right now and I see about 8 uber cars in Mississauga right now. I will be needing to utilize uber as well so having a definite answer on this would be helpful.

Uber isn't legal according to the City of Mississauga but they still operate, so you should be able to access them no problem.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Also, regarding food options, it's true, there's not a ton of options super close by, but if you have access to a car/taxi/uber - it's about 8 minutes from heartland Town Centre, which is a bunch of outdoor strip malls, with tons of food options around. There's an East Side Mario's (Italian), Milestones, Popeyes, Booster Juice, Domino's Pizza, Swiss Chalet, Harveys, Heart Sushi, Tim Hortons, Wendy's, Mandarin, Burger King, McDonald's and so much more.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Hers...55d7880444b5ad!2m2!1d-79.6956823!2d43.6120305

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uber isn't legal according to the City of Mississauga but they still operate, so you should be able to access them no problem.

Good news and I see many Uber cars when I check the app in the area. I think the weather is supposed to be pretty crappy next weekend (rainy and 40s F), so having access to Uber is essential.

BTW, I posted something about having a meetup during SC, please let me know if there is any interest.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?60752-GS-Dinner-10-27-at-7-30PM

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Good news and I see many Uber cars when I check the app in the area. I think the weather is supposed to be pretty crappy next weekend (rainy and 40s F), so having access to Uber is essential.

BTW, I posted something about having a meetup during SC, please let me know if there is any interest.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?60752-GS-Dinner-10-27-at-7-30PM

There are a TON of Uber drivers in Mississauga, so you guys should be good. Weather-wise, it's still pretty decent for here being end of October. Just plan for rain. Hope you guys have a great time... tickets were sold out before I had a chance to even think about it. If anyone needs to know anything about Mississauga, let me know. I've lived here all my life, and I'm about 15 mins from the Hershey Centre.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
There are a TON of Uber drivers in Mississauga, so you guys should be good. Weather-wise, it's still pretty decent for here being end of October. Just plan for rain. Hope you guys have a great time... tickets were sold out before I had a chance to even think about it. If anyone needs to know anything about Mississauga, let me know. I've lived here all my life, and I'm about 15 mins from the Hershey Centre.

Hi neighbour!

Echoing the offer to help, though Ms. Sweetie likely knows more than I do.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Hi neighbour!

Echoing the offer to help, though Ms. Sweetie likely knows more than I do.

Not necessarily true, but between you and I we can likely direct the masses to food and anything else they might need!

PS: Hi neighbour to you too! :agree:

stryke

On the Ice
If I show up at the doors with a backpack to carry my things will I get turned away? Asking because I thought I read somewhere that they aren't allowed?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I show up at the doors with a backpack to carry my things will I get turned away? Asking because I thought I read somewhere that they aren't allowed?

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Hershey_Centre_Guest_Services_Site_Information.pdf

No backpacks.

If you are carrying a handbag, carry-all or backpack, you should know that for the safety and security of our fans and players, The Hershey Centre only allows small personal handbags or baby bags into the building. We advise you to leave your backpacks, large packages or other bags either at home or in your car. You should also be aware that all bags are subject to search before being allowed into The Hershey Centre.

They don't specify what size "small personal handbags or baby bags" they allow. Most baby bags I've seen are rather large, like a tote bag.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't know why you rely on uber. There are lots of decent taxi companies in Mississauga at decent prices. I generally use Blue and white taxi (905-274-4444) as they have a phone number I know by heart, ever since I landed in Canada. All hotels have taxi cars near them. I live just across Novotel Hotel and there are always 2-5 or more cars every time. Trips within Mississauga can vary between $10-30-40, depending on distance. When I use taxis I pay $10-20, for 10-15 km. Uber is not legal in Mississauga, and I would never use a taxi that is not regulated (I am afraid, LOL). For going to the airport there is a special taxi Aerofleet (they are authorized), but you may come to the airport with any taxi, even by buss. But when you arrive to Toronto/Mississauga (Pearson Airport) you need to take a registered/authorized taxi (there are signs for that). Some guys may come to you and offer their services, but you should not accept it, or at least ask for the price before accepting. Taxis have a flat rate according to distance.
Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for this thread! I've been learning a lot about how to plan for my trip.

I just wanted to also ask. Do you think it would be better to exchange USD for Canadian dollars in the US, or when at Canada?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for this thread! I've been learning a lot about how to plan for my trip.

I just wanted to also ask. Do you think it would be better to exchange USD for Canadian dollars in the US, or when at Canada?

I think you can do this at either airport, I'm flying in from Newark. Be aware that the exchange rate favors the US (One Canadian dollar equals 75 cents US). Also, if you have a TD bank account, you won't get any transaction fees or international fees using it in Canada.

Also, I'd like to organize a brunch on Saturday before the Ladies FS - please PM your mobile number if interested.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I suggest all people coming from outside Canada should have some CAD money for small purchases within the rink and even taxis. All taxis accept cards, but most have manual machines. So I think it is much better to pay by cash. You either take cash from US, or you may use any bank machine on Pearson airport or in a mall/bank. AFAIK, banks have better rates than small exchange offices!
For busses within Mississauga, you either buy bus tickets, or use cash, but they only accept change (metal coins). I think a trip is $3.25 (or $3.50) and when you pay, the driver gives you a 2 hour pass that can be used if you use a second bus, or any other buss trip within that time period.

andyjo24

Medalist
I suggest all people coming from outside Canada should have some CAD money for small purchases within the rink and even taxis. All taxis accept cards, but most have manual machines. So I think it is much better to pay by cash. You either take cash from US, or you may use any bank machine on Pearson airport or in a mall/bank. AFAIK, banks have better rates than small exchange offices!
For busses within Mississauga, you either buy bus tickets, or use cash, but they only accept change (metal coins). I think a trip is $3.25 (or $3.50) and when you pay, the driver gives you a 2 hour pass that can be used if you use a second bus, or any other buss trip within that time period.

Thanks for your help Sabrina.

I would also like to confirm whether there are any foreign fees involved with using cards in Canada.