How important is costuming? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

Meoima

Match Penalty
YESSSSSSSSSSS!! 100% Yes. Don't you remember when Patrick would fall twice and still win? People everywhere would freak out. Patrick is a gifted skater and maybe it's because he makes it look easy, he doesn't always get the respect he deserves. Of course, that's just my opinion.
:confused: what does it have to do with their hands movements?

mrrice

Record Breaker
:confused: what does it have to do with their hands movements?

I have no idea. :laugh2: That was a funny question. I'm going to have a look at Patrick's POTO.

OK, I just had a look at Patrick's POTO and Johnny's right. "Star Fish Hands" but only briefly. However, Patrick is a Judges dream. His Posture and Carriage are perfect and unlike Todd. Patrick keeps his shoulders down when he gestures and when he's dancing. I thought his "Take Five" SP was a Masterpiece.

Last edited:

usethis2

Medalist
Costumes obviously matter just as choice of music does. It has a rather direct implication with choreography and interpretation under PCS. Even if you want to deny its importance out of principles, you have to admit that it would be a lot more difficult to project to and communicate with the audience if you wear costumes that are totally disconnected with the music and choreo you skate to. (Imagine, say, wearing Charlie Chaplin while skating to Swan Lake) Not impossible, but more difficult.

Having said that, I personally prefer subtlety over extravagance when it comes to costumes. Not because I do not like flamboyance but because it is, in my opinion, just as difficult to suspend audience's disbelief wearing something too literal as to do so wearing something nonsensical. You can appear clownish and outlandish unless your performance is absolutely convincing.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good question.....Here's my best answer. What gloves would have done for Todd was finish the "Line" from his shoulder through his fingertips. Todd had a tendency to spread his fingers almost to the point of having "Jazz Hands" even during lyrical moments. His other problem was his costume. Black, with a turtle neck, and long sleeves. It screamed for gloves.

Watch Joshua Farris' free skate from last season. He probably has the best hands and arms I've ever seen. Watch the ending 5 seconds of his LP from 4cc last year. Brilliant. Holy cow.....I forgot Adam. Great hands!! However, Josh still wins the "Hand Off." That's the name of my best hands competition. ;)

I just double checked to make sure I was right and yes. It's his 2001 SP from Worlds in Vancouver. Have a look and you'll see what I mean.

Good Grief Gloves!!! I was having some friends over to watch the World Championships in 2001. When Michelle won back to back for the first and only time. If ever there was a skater who needed gloves it was..........Todd Eldredge. He was fast and had great spins but, his hands!! Horrible. Good Hands......Plushy!! You know who else has good hands. Jeremy Abbott and Joshua Farris. Now that I think of it, there has been a TON of improvement in the "Hand" department.

Wait, what? Would wearing gloves make Todd's hand movements more graceful?

Gee, a "hands" competition? I can't picture Todd with gloves during a comp. During warm-ups, yes, he does wear them. Not all of his costumes are black. I did like his Carmina Burana/Mythodea costume (2001/2002 sp) black with striking red stripes (very Wylie-esque). My favorite costumes of his happen to be blue (1996 First Knight, 1997 - Independence Day/2000 - The Glory (Todd recycles costumes sometimes), 1998 First Knight (Worlds & the Goodwill Games).

Back to the hands - I did think Todd was very expressive with his hands in his performances of one of his (signature) programs "Il Mare Calmo de La Sera."

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Costume is simple case of dress appropriate.

As an amazing candidate with excellent credentials and capability as anyone who turn up in a bank job interview in jeans and t-shirt while everyone dress up in suits won't get the attention he/she deserve. If they turn up in a clown suit, it will certainly even hamper their chances even more unless the job description is: Clown.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had no idea that clowns dressed up as clowns for their interviews. I guess it makes sense when you think about it. :yes:

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Costume is simple case of dress appropriate.

As an amazing candidate with excellent credentials and capability as anyone who turn up in a bank job interview in jeans and t-shirt while everyone dress up in suits won't get the attention he/she deserve. If they turn up in a clown suit, it will certainly even hamper their chances even more unless the job description is: Clown.
Exactly. This is an example. Without the program this costume is ridiculous, but in context with the program I think it's perfect.
Without an appropriate costume something is missing because they're interpreting music.
And they always wore costumes in the past, except when doing figures. There's something to be said for tradition. But still sponsors could design the costumes if this would help this sport, maybe it would.

Don't you remember when Patrick would fall twice and still win? People everywhere would freak out. Patrick is a gifted skater and maybe it's because he makes it look easy, he doesn't always get the respect he deserves.

I think that people were more upset with a scoring system that allows skaters to fall without paying much of a price on the scoresheet. Patrick unfortunately took the pie-in-the-face as the poster child for this situation (which wasn't his fault, of course).

mrrice said:
He's still one of my favorite male skaters in the last decade. Along with Plushy, Alexei Yagudin, and many of the current skaters.

It's kind of jarring to reflect that Yagudin is no longer a "skater of the past decade."

mrrice said:
Patrick is a Judges dream. His Posture and Carriage are perfect...I thought his "Take Five" SP was a Masterpiece.

Agree on the posture and carriage. I also agree that he was the "judges' dream" -- as was consistently reflected in his marks. He was the first skater really to get the CoP.

Take Five is my second favorite Patrick Chan program. (Although I do think that it suffered from the problem of, "you can't tell the players without a program.") If Lori Nichol hadn't told us explicitly what the story line was supposed to be, we wouldn't have been able to figure out why he was miming getting slapped in the face, etc.) My absolute favorite Patrick program was the first version of Four Seasons, as performed at the 2008 Canadian Championships. (No quads to confuse the issue and detract from the program. :laugh: )

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
And they always wore costumes in the past, except when doing figures. There's something to be said for tradition.

It depends how you're defining "costumes" and "in the past."

Competition clothes up until the mid-1970s were pretty understated, although in many cases not something that would be worn on the street.

Professional show skating had always used more elaborate costumes, and around the mid-70s that started to be reflected more in the competition clothes, with the use of more sequins and stoning, and then illusion fabric. And the more conservative officials at the time did not consider those kinds of costumes appropriate for athletic competition. They would have said "there's something to be said for tradition" and the tradition they knew was that competitive skating was not show business.

Of course freeskating became a lot more show biz-like throughout the 1980s and 90s, so if we consider that as part of the tradition from today's perspective, elaborate or revealing costumes definitely have a place in the history of the sport.

My personal take is that the most important thing should be that clothing showcases and enhances what the skater is doing on the ice without distracting. And should make the skater feel confident.

Different fans and different judges have their personal pet peeves that they find distracting (e.g., gloves, over-the-boot tights) and some are officially illegal (tights instead of trousers for men), all of which are just fine with me.

My personal preference is simple elegance or sportiness, but of course it depends on the theme of the specific program.

If the skater is happy with what they're wearing and I'm not paying more attention to the clothing than the skating, then it's fine with me. If the clothing helps set an appropriate mood or mindset for me to understand the purpose of the program, all the better.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just to be clear. It wasn't a "Hand Competition" it was a "Hand Off." I realize we were just a bunch of dorks with too much free time but it was fun.

mrrice

Record Breaker
" It's kind of jarring to reflect that Yagudin is no longer a "skater of the past decade."

It's extremely jarring. Thanks a lot. ;)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
See how we have 4 pages already on this topic? It gives us something to talk about during a time when the major events of figure skating are at their lowest ebb. When a casual fan might wander off and look elsewhere for entertainment, if there suspense and drama around the music and costume choices of their favorite skater, they will remember to come back when the season starts again to see what was chosen and compliment or complain about it loudly to their friends. A win-win situation.

Yes! Out of all the 'lists' I've been doing on YouTube lately, the Best/Worst Costumes vids are the ones really taking off -- especially the Worst. :frown: I think I need to jump on this stuff when the actual season is happening, rather than just post-season lists!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yes! Out of all the 'lists' I've been doing on YouTube lately, the Best/Worst Costumes vids are the ones really taking off -- especially the Worst. :frown: I think I need to jump on this stuff when the actual season is happening, rather than just post-season lists!

such as the best costume of all time or even better the worst costume of all time.:biggrin: plus you won't have OG issues.

Layback11

Record Breaker

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well so much for the intention of this thread - read the guidelines for the thread - the goal was no mocking or making fun or dramatic sarcasm about costumes and of course we did that oh well. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.