How important is costuming? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
ISU rules

There's nothing specifically about changing the appearance of a costume during a performance as long as nothing is actually detached.

So it doesn't look as though that would be illegal per se. But some judges might consider it overly theatrical.

Any props or removable costume parts are clearly illegal in standard ISU competition.

Yes! There's great opportunity for MJ's 'Black or White' program! :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, Irina... She isn't really my style of skater- all about the elements really- but I loved her anyway. She just had something about her that was so endearing. And wow could she jump!

I loved her spunk & bubbly personality. I'll never forget when "Uncle" Dickie asked for her permission to pinch her cheeks when she was still a teenager! :cheer:

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Costuming is important so that (1) no one gets ridiculed on Go Fug Yourself when they do recaps, and (2) ask Natalia Linichuk about the OD for Domnina / Shabalin in 2010 ...

Amei

Record Breaker
Now that lyrics can be used. I wonder if anyone will use "Singing In The Rain?" It's a great number and the umbrella could be mimed and set down by a talented skater in the opening seconds. It would seem to me that someone must have used it for an exhibition by now but I don't know.

I seem to remember a lot of people criticizing Lipnitskaia for the kite with her SP last year.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Re the thread title, three words: Domnina, Shabalin, OD.

I know I watched skating at the 2010 Olympics, including dance (I vaguely remember D/W's POTO and that I saw V/M and knew they won, but I don't remember their program-oddly, the only thing I distinctly remember is D/W's ending pose :laugh:), so how did I miss those costumes?!? I first saw them when I watched the OD on YouTube during Sochi to refresh my memory about how everybody did, and my first thought was, "oh my goodness, those are absolutely hideous! And also probably racist!"

Actually, it was probably more like, " Whatever those are, they're an atrocity to humanity!"

Just more proof that I don't pay attention. LOL.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I seem to remember a lot of people criticizing Lipnitskaia for the kite with her SP last year.

Really. I'll have to check it out. Ok, I just had a look at her short program from Nationals 2015. Well, I don't know what to say. I was so distracted by her costume. Maybe there's a story behind it but, it looked liked a practice outfit.

Also, I certainly understand her wanting to look young. However, she has to remember that Ice is a horrible back drop for ANY skater in that it washes you in glare from the lights leaving you featureless. She really needed to do something more to complete her look.

Was their a story behind this program? I'd love to know if someone has the scoop.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I watched skating at the 2010 Olympics, including dance (I vaguely remember D/W's POTO and that I saw V/M and knew they won, but I don't remember their program-oddly, the only thing I distinctly remember is D/W's ending pose :laugh:), so how did I miss those costumes?!? I first saw them when I watched the OD on YouTube during Sochi to refresh my memory about how everybody did, and my first thought was, "oh my goodness, those are absolutely hideous! And also probably racist!"

Actually, it was probably more like, " Whatever those are, they're an atrocity to humanity!"

Just more proof that I don't pay attention. LOL.

What's racist?

Was their a story behind this program? I'd love to know if someone has the scoop.

Yes. The kite was supposed to represent the innocence of care-free childhood. She lets it go in the first few seconds of the program. Then she does two and a half minutes of high-scoring jumps and flexible spins. Then she catches the kite again at the end.

I think the jumping and spinning part was intended to represent something like, she goes to the big city, leaving her childhood behind, or something like that. Actually, I like the kite part. Without it, we would be left saying, OK, but why was she dressed up like a French mime? ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes. The kite was supposed to represent the innocence of care-free childhood. She lets it go in the first few seconds of the program. Then she does two and a half minutes of high-scoring jumps and flexible spins. Then she catches the kite again at the end.

I think the jumping and spinning part was intended to represent something like, she goes to the big city, leaving her childhood behind, or something like that. Actually, I like the kite part. Without it, we would be left saying, OK, but why was she dressed up like a French mime? ;)

Thank you! :bow: You see, this is why I love this site so much. That made me very happy and explains a lot. In fact, the costume is the only part of her program that I don't like. I looooove her skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you! :bow: You see, this is why I love this site so much. That made me very happy and explains a lot. In fact, the costume is the only part of her program that I don't like. I looooove her skating.

She's clearly my favorite!!! I love this program because the kite represents her younger self before she moved to Moscow and the person she is when she goes on vacation. She is trying to navigate thru the turbulent ways of a megapolis and still stay grounded to the person she was before she left.

I made a video of it in which my personal twist was the kite was representing the fans she has strung along with her and how every time she does an element we are elevated as her fans. Yeah...I'm that nerdy. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2NhiFVXRI

Last edited:
What's racist?

The original dance that year was supposed to be a folk dance. Most of the couples presented a traditional folk dance from their own culture.

Domnina and Shabalin decided instead to present a comic caricature of a European's take on Aboriginal Australian culture. (Or of so-called "primitive" people everywhere.) It was racially offensive because it was basically white people mocking non-white cultures. Australian native associations lodged a protest at presenting such a spectacle at the Olympics (they were ignored). It is quite likely that D&S were marked down a little by the judges because of the inappropriateness of the costumes and the routine at an international showcase.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yeah, what's racist?:shrug:

Actually, I probably should've said "culturally insensitive." I mean, they had the tackiest costumes I've ever seen and they completely misrepresented a culture, which was what I meant. I imagine if I was an indigenous Pacific islander (what I think they were trying to portray), I would be offended by that program. It's not an accurate representation of any culture and I feel like they trying to mock indigenous peoples with it.

Last edited:

sses1

On the Ice
The original dance that year was supposed to be a folk dance. Most of the couples presented a traditional folk dance from their own culture.

Domnina and Shabalin decided instead to present a comic caricature of a European's take on Aboriginal Australian culture. (Or of so-called "primitive" people everywhere.) It was racially offensive because it was basically white people mocking non-white cultures. Australian native associations lodged a protest at presenting such a spectacle at the Olympics (they were ignored). It is quite likely that D&S were marked down a little by the judges because of the inappropriateness of the costumes and the routine at an international showcase.

Yes, not to mention that the native charters in Vancouver were also ambassadors to the Olympics and they probably had to watch that display of "fun".

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sam,That's a great video and it's different than the one of seen. You can clearly see her face and she's definitely wearing very subtle make up which is appropriate for a young girl. Maybe I just had a crappy cut of her performance as this one is much better. I sure wish she'd gone for tan colored boots with a skirt that short as it would give her a longer line. She's still gorgeous though. ;)

Last edited:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There are actually world chamionhips in kite-flying (the British team won last year). Here is how the sport is described by Wikipedia.

Developments in multi-line kites in recent years has allowed forms of kite flying to develop into a sport. Kite competitions have much in common with figure skating, with competitors being judged on their performance in compulsory figures as well as a "ballet", which involves artistic interpretation of music. Performances are done as individuals, a pair of pilots, or as a team. Team flying is typically the most spectacular, with up to eight pilots, their kites flying within inches of each other and narrowly averting disaster, while performing all manner of figures and formations in the air.

There is also kite fighting, where the combatants try to maneuver special cutting wires across the strings of the other guy's kite and bring them down. :rock:

Since 2006 a new sport has appeared, "kiteboarding." You do races and flip about in arial tricks while being propelled along by your kite. It is being promoted for the 2020 Olympics. :yes:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sam,That's a great video and it's different than the one of seen. You can clearly see her face and she's definitely wearing very subtle make up which is appropriate for a young girl. Maybe I just had a crappy cut of her performance as this one is much better. I sure wish she'd gone for tan colored boots with a skirt that short as it would give her a longer line. She's still gorgeous though. ;)

Thanks. Glad you liked the video. I put a lot of thought into them and like many great skating programs the literal interpretation like the one I had in mind here is probably missed by most. I've never actually stated my thought process behind any of my videos until now but every one of them has its own story I promise you. If you check out the videos on my YouTube channel there are a lot of videos of programs for many different skaters. (They look much better if you watch them in 720p HD in the options bar)

Also a lot of people think that she modeled the costume for megapolis after a vacation outfit she wore on a trip to cypress. It's a trip that she has spoken highly of on several occasions and I think after the Olympic season she was a bit torn about skating in general and needed to put her self into a positive frame of mind.

I think this photo is from 2011 or 2012 when she was very young.
https://pp.vk.me/c607220/v607220538/59a3/p_tPvySwvn8.jpg

Last edited:

moviebuff

On the Ice
She's clearly my favorite!!! I love this program because the kite represents her younger self before she moved to Moscow and the person she is when she goes on vacation. She is trying to navigate thru the turbulent ways of a megapolis and still stay grounded to the person she was before she left.

I made a video of it in which my personal twist was the kite was representing the fans she has strung along with her and how every time she does an element we are elevated as her fans. Yeah...I'm that nerdy. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2NhiFVXRI

Love the video.

Everyone had their own interpretation of what that kite meant. For example this artist on VK had a darker take on Yulia's Megapolis program:
http://cs629124.vk.me/v629124434/388d/J7KnoTakunU.jpg