How important is costuming? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Could someone tell me here, if it is legal in a competition to have a dress change like Anna Pogorilaya did for her Exo, without the detachable parts. https://youtu.be/bmSAn1zXK70?t=1m53s

If legal, I wonder how it would look for Swan Lake. Or is it too gimmicky of an idea?

I don't know that there's any specific rule about it, but it would probably look very gimmicky and be very difficult to do, especially under IJS.

My favourite costume-change was Plushenko's legendary Assisai.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope you didn't think that I was criticizing Todd's (or anyone's) hands. Todd is my guy! I was just puzzled by the gloves comment.

No, MM, not at all! :biggrin: Can we say that he's "our" guy? The only time I really get upset is when I read/hear about people calling him "No Quad Todd." Now, I think that's mean spirited!

Another random thought re: gloves - I loved when Delobel & Schoenfelder used their costuime gloves as masks in their "Carnival" program. I thought that was really creative & unique.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Could someone tell me here, if it is legal in a competition to have a dress change like Anna Pogorilaya did for her Exo, without the detachable parts. https://youtu.be/bmSAn1zXK70?t=1m53s

If legal, I wonder how it would look for Swan Lake. Or is it too gimmicky of an idea?

I have no idea, but if someone did a dress change mid-program in competition and there was a problem the judges might find it "disrupting" the flow of the program and then mark the skater lower in PCS. So it may be a risk.........but yeah, I don't know. It's just a guess.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have no idea, but if someone did a dress change mid-program in competition and there was a problem the judges might find it "disrupting" the flow of the program and then mark the skater lower in PCS. So it may be a risk.........but yeah, I don't know. It's just a guess.

This is a very interesting subject. I was judging a Dance Competition and one of the groups used "I'm looking for something in Red" by Lorrie Morgan. The costumes were 3 difference dresses in Red, Green, and White following the story of the song. It was a beautiful number and the costume changes were smoothly done and well timed with the lyrics.

My question is. Is it legal for a skater to leave a prop or costume on the ice during a competitive program as long as they remove the item when they leave the ice??

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
My question is. Is it legal for a skater to leave a prop or costume on the ice during a competitive program as long a they remove the item when they leave the ice??

I think I could probably answer that question. I think it's a very likely huge no, although not sure I'm giving a good analogy, considering even if anything from the costume falls off, there seems to be a deduction. I remember it being mentioned in one of the commentary that there was a deduction for Illynikh for a feather that came off her dress, which I think might have been during Olympics.

Wish I could see something Hunger Game-esque (even though not a big fan of the series aside from the first) for Swan Lake. Because parts when skaters do the other side, in the same either white or black throughout, it seems a bit off.:shocked:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

gkelly

Record Breaker
ISU rules

Rule 501
Clothing
1. At ISU Championships, the Olympic Winter Games and International
Competitions, the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and
appropriate for athletic competition – not garish or theatrical in design.
Clothing may, however, reflect the character of the music chosen.
The clothing must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for
the discipline. Men must wear full length trousers and must not wear tights.
In addition, in Ice Dance, Ladies must wear a skirt.

Accessories and props are not permitted.

Clothing that does not adhere to these guidelines will be penalized by a
deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n).

2. The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or
decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353,
paragraph 1.n).

There's nothing specifically about changing the appearance of a costume during a performance as long as nothing is actually detached.

So it doesn't look as though that would be illegal per se. But some judges might consider it overly theatrical.

Any props or removable costume parts are clearly illegal in standard ISU competition.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Now that lyrics can be used. I wonder if anyone will use "Singing In The Rain?" It's a great number and the umbrella could be mimed and set down by a talented skater in the opening seconds. It would seem to me that someone must have used it for an exhibition by now but I don't know.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

Yes I have and that's exactly why I asked the question. It was such a cool idea and I realize Kurt had a set, obvious props and special effects. I think of Alena Leonova's Chaplin and She was so good that I think anything's possible if the skater is truly committed to the program.

Donald O' Connor's "Make Em Laugh" would be a great program for an exhibition.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Ah! The heart on the costume! I despise all costumes with hearts on them. It's as tacky as animal print. Someone prove me wrong!;)

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
This is a very interesting subject. I was judging a Dance Competition and one of the groups used "I'm looking for something in Red" by Lorrie Morgan. The costumes were 3 difference dresses in Red, Green, and White following the story of the song. It was a beautiful number and the costume changes were smoothly done and well timed with the lyrics.

My question is. Is it legal for a skater to leave a prop or costume on the ice during a competitive program as long as they remove the item when they leave the ice??

Reading this section of the thread, I'm reminded of the moment at the end of Krylova and Ovsiannikov's free dance to Carmen in 1997/98 where she pulled a small red piece of material out of his shirt right at the end to symbolise the "death". Thought that was quite clever and I'm assuming there was/is some technicality to stop it being an illegal use of prop/removable costume...

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Ah, Irina... She isn't really my style of skater- all about the elements really- but I loved her anyway. She just had something about her that was so endearing. And wow could she jump!