How important is costuming? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

How important is costuming?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vczTPSwF9do (Since there wasn't a link in that post)

Adding to the costume itself, the hunched posture and the dragging her around by her hair like a stereotypical caveman, when you are meant to be depicting aboriginal culture, was heinous.

Yuuup. It wasn't just the tacky costuming but that program itself was awful. It was just really bad skating and if D/S hadn't won a world title (or the compulsories) any sane judge would have buried them in the standings. It's a bit outrageous that they ended up with the bronze... ie the best team that wasn't D/W or V/M.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vczTPSwF9do (Since there wasn't a link in that post)

Adding to the costume itself, the hunched posture and the dragging her around by her hair like a stereotypical caveman, when you are meant to be depicting aboriginal culture, was heinous.

But because it was only little Australia and they were from a big powerful skating country, nothing was done about it. And yes, I'm still cheesed off about that. :scowl:

On the plus side, now I can bring in some Team Australia positivity. Here is Dani and Greg's Aboriginal OD from 2008. They consulted very carefully with multiple elders and communities, and every part of their choreography was examined to make sure they were not offending people. As I recall, they even had the costumes designed by tribal elders. It comes out very well.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But because it was only little Australia and they were from a big powerful skating country, nothing was done about it. And yes, I'm still cheesed off about that. :scowl:

On the plus side, now I can bring in some Team Australia positivity. Here is Dani and Greg's Aboriginal OD from 2008. They consulted very carefully with multiple elders and communities, and every part of their choreography was examined to make sure they were not offending people. As I recall, they even had the costumes designed by tribal elders. It comes out very well.

Plus the costumes and hair and make-up looks better and more thoughtful.

I like when people do research. I do it a lot when I write stories because I like to write realistic fiction stories that's realistic enough that it definitely sounds like it can happen in real life.

That's definitely respecting culture considering that the Aborigines are basically the native Australians who were there long before the British came. And respecting culture regardless is also important in any way whatsoever.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
For me Dom-Shab's program and costume was awful, annoying, ridiculous but not racist. I like the Australian's Aboroginal dance, too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That's a much better interpretation. Good to see! And the costuming is better.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yagudin's "One Banana" costume has to be the most offensive one of all time...nothing else comes close!

anyanka

Record Breaker
The original dance that year was supposed to be a folk dance. Most of the couples presented a traditional folk dance from their own culture.

Domnina and Shabalin decided instead to present a comic caricature of a European's take on Aboriginal Australian culture. (Or of so-called "primitive" people everywhere.) It was racially offensive because it was basically white people mocking non-white cultures. Australian native associations lodged a protest at presenting such a spectacle at the Olympics (they were ignored). It is quite likely that D&S were marked down a little by the judges because of the inappropriateness of the costumes and the routine at an international showcase.

Agreed, because presentation also has that element of taste. In other words: D/S didn't have any. Also, let's not forget they were marked down because in comparison to the other two medalists they were slooooooooow, and that's not even including how much faster and powerful they were the year before when they won worlds over B/A.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed, because presentation also has that element of taste. In other words: D/S didn't have any. Also, let's not forget they were marked down because in comparison to the other two medalists they were slooooooooow, and that's not even including how much faster and powerful they were the year before when they won worlds over B/A.

It wasn't just speed too... a lot of that program was two-footed skating and didn't have many intricate dance holds and lacked refinement (I think you can still have raw, staccato choreography but present it well). It was very much theatrics and histrionics -- felt like I was in the 90's again.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Actually, I probably should've said "culturally insensitive." I mean, they had the tackiest costumes I've ever seen and they completely misrepresented a culture, which was what I meant. I imagine if I was an indigenous Pacific islander (what I think they were trying to portray), I would be offended by that program. It's not an accurate representation of any culture and I feel like they trying to mock indigenous peoples with it.

Thanks Layback, I can't believe it took me this long to see your reply but I certainly appreciate you taking the time answer my question. :)

melmel

On the Ice
Damn, so I truly am in the 0,000001% of people who actually love Yuzuru's Romeo and Juliet 2.0 costume :scratch2: :party: