How Karen Magnussen's FS Teaching Career was Ruined | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How Karen Magnussen's FS Teaching Career was Ruined

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are some very good ice dancers training with Wing and Lowe in BC. And the Firus family is from there.

Liam's being coached by Krall now so I don't think he's around. Possibly his brother is but I'm not sure. If Liam was still training in BC, it's possible that he'd get involved since he's from the North Shore Skating club. But yes, Wing and Lowe and their skaters do train in the area. And Jeremy too.

On another note, Coquitlam Skating club also has an ice show this year. It looks like it's going to be 'Frozen'. It appears that Ronald Lam will be Hans, Beata Papp as Elsa, Larissa Horobec as Anna, and Jordan Ju as Kristoff.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree the issue is focussing on helping Karen. I did some digging. I am not sure Canada is so horrible but my understanding she fell through the cracks (legal ones). She would get what is often called welfare or social assistance if it gets really bad but she would have to lose a lot of things There is a good chance her house is worth a million dollars and certainly over $600,000 probably $800,000 in the Vancouver area. EVen the " poor" live in near million dollar homes and the students near their main university live in the tear downs worth 1.3 million. It is wonderful how the community is coming together. I think Karen's sad story is a reminder. Fame does not always equate to money (though the Kardasians don't help that theory - not I did not say talent) necessarily. Look at the horrible story of Kira Ivanova. I thought that was so sad. she battled depression and alcholism and sold her medals and awards for alcohol then was attacked demoralized (scalped) and murdered. Karen is a true hero though - passionate about coaching and helping kids and in this case in trying to save kids endangered her life and well being. She deserves support.

peg

Medalist
I still truly don't understand why she isn't getting Workers' compensation. That would give her far more than social assistance and would allow her to keep assets such as a house. And it was set up specifically to cover people injured at work, which she was. By the sounds of it, she's still battling to get that though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hear you. I believe there are several problems. She wasn't on the ice and there is an issue was she thus working. Now an argument cold be made you don't have to be on the ice working But then there is the lgal structure and I don't know what here's is but she might be a corporation on to her own so to speak and not really an employee. If the rink was blatantly negligent she still may be able to sue but it sounds like it was an accident. Not happy but it sounds like she was super unlucky the only positive is the community getting together to help her. There are good and decent people out there :)

peg

Medalist
If she was a incorporated and not an employee she should be able to sue them. Also, if I am at work and I get injured, it doesn't matter whether I am injured or elsewhere on the premises. She apparently had some administrative duties as well.

And while it's nice to see that she is getting support from the community, but she shouldn't need to rely on that. That said, I'm hoping that maybe the publicity around her situation might actually result in er getting the WCB benefits she should be entitled to

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It has been three years, and her situation has hit the papers several times, and nothing has been done, except this tribute, so far.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just stating the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins133991.html#alsEAH4hEYfpdWez.99

If everyone keeps doing nothing, just as they have been doing for 3 years, I don't expect anything will get better.

And that includes all of us. As a non-Canadian, I don't even know what can be done, other than to run tribute shows.

Is there someone we could bombard with letters?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I agree the issue is focussing on helping Karen. I did some digging. I am not sure Canada is so horrible but my understanding she fell through the cracks (legal ones). She would get what is often called welfare or social assistance if it gets really bad but she would have to lose a lot of things There is a good chance her house is worth a million dollars and certainly over $600,000 probably $800,000 in the Vancouver area. EVen the " poor" live in near million dollar homes and the students near their main university live in the tear downs worth 1.3 million. It is wonderful how the community is coming together. I think Karen's sad story is a reminder. Fame does not always equate to money (though the Kardasians don't help that theory - not I did not say talent) necessarily. Look at the horrible story of Kira Ivanova. I thought that was so sad. she battled depression and alcholism and sold her medals and awards for alcohol then was attacked demoralized (scalped) and murdered. Karen is a true hero though - passionate about coaching and helping kids and in this case in trying to save kids endangered her life and well being. She deserves support.

I heard of Kira's struggles with depression and alcoholism, and her volatile relationship with Vladimir Kovalev, but had no idea she had gone that far down into the depths. :(

anyanka

Record Breaker
If she was a incorporated and not an employee she should be able to sue them. Also, if I am at work and I get injured, it doesn't matter whether I am injured or elsewhere on the premises. She apparently had some administrative duties as well.

And while it's nice to see that she is getting support from the community, but she shouldn't need to rely on that. That said, I'm hoping that maybe the publicity around her situation might actually result in er getting the WCB benefits she should be entitled to

Seems she was just a contractor to the North Shore Winter Club and was allowed to deal with the students directly in acting as a coach. Otherwise she should be able to get benefits. I wonder though, if she had private insurance that she could make a claim against, in addition to WCB?

anyanka

Record Breaker

If everyone keeps doing nothing, just as they have been doing for 3 years, I don't expect anything will get better.

And that includes all of us. As a non-Canadian, I don't even know what can be done, other than to run tribute shows.

Skate Canada? They did promote this though, although we won't know how much was brought in so far until after the show.

peg

Medalist

I was thinking last night that if I was in her shoes, I'd be writing (and possibly asking to meet with) her elected representatives at both the provincial and federal level, as well as the Ministers responsible for the WorkSafeBC portfolio. Wouldn't hurt to include the Minister responsible for the Sport portfolio.

peg

Medalist
Seems she was just a contractor to the North Shore Winter Club and was allowed to deal with the students directly in acting as a coach. Otherwise she should be able to get benefits. I wonder though, if she had private insurance that she could make a claim against, in addition to WCB?

But if she wasn't an employee, shouldn't she be able to sue them?

anyanka

Record Breaker
But if she wasn't an employee, shouldn't she be able to sue them?

Not if she doesn't make contributions to WCB. Sort of like unemployment benefits: if you contribute, you access it if you need it. Mind you I'm a bit fuzzy on this, so please don't take my word for it. :slink:

peg

Medalist
Not if she doesn't make contributions to WCB. Sort of like unemployment benefits: if you contribute, you access it if you need it. Mind you I'm a bit fuzzy on this, so please don't take my word for it. :slink:

No, I'm talking about a lawsuit, not about WCB. WCB applies to employees, but if she is not an employee, both WCB and the fact that employees can't sue their employers should become an non-issue, should't it? Any non-employee could sue a business if they were on their premises and unsafe conditions caused them physical harm.

Also, it's not the employee that makes WCB contributions - it's the employer. It's essentially like their insurance that covers their employees in case of injury on the job.

That said, the fact that she's in a battle with WCB suggests very strongly that she was in fact an employee, otherwise there would be no point in going that route.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh my. That poor woman! How truly dreadful. She's right about the determination and training, though. It does strengthen everything, not just the body.

I also had no idea that ammonia was used in this way. How terrifying!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh my. That poor woman! How truly dreadful. She's right about the determination and training, though. It does strengthen everything, not just the body.

I also had no idea that ammonia was used in this way. How terrifying!