Ice Dance this year: is V&M really better than France's D&S??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance this year: is V&M really better than France's D&S???

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
if I remember Denkova and Staviski were third for all phases of the competition...I think they just weren't up to par that day. I remember them saying in interviews that they would work hard to correct their mistakes at worlds, which they must have because they won it. But...it's funny you say D and S are mere technicians becuase that's the opposite of what I was trying to show here....well you should take a look at this year's FD from them. It's pretty cool. And whta was wrong with last year's too? They were totally in character? Is it any less artistic because they were portraying two american robbers in black suits?

All I am saying is that D/S PCS is what is holding them back

RDiva

Rinkside
Chill out please :bow:
I think so far the results of NHK(also all other results from previous comp) are proving that the correct answer to the question is "no":clap:

bibi

On the Ice
Chill out please
I think so far the results of NHK(also all other results from previous comp) are proving that the correct answer to the question is "no"
That's only the first dance...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ok then, can you tell me at least 1 competition when V/M were ahead of Del/S?? I know it is very hard to be objective when fan, but still give it a try plz

Well based on their first GP events the FD big time. However Delboel/
Schoenfeldner have had time since their first GP event to improve their weak showing in the FD at their first GP event. I like both teams alot BTW.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It stuns me that when D&S were origianl and exciting, they never won, and now they dance a relly boring freedance with no more connecting between them than ever before and a ugly costume for her and they win ?

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
It stuns me that when D&S were origianl and exciting, they never won, and now they dance a relly boring freedance with no more connecting between them than ever before and a ugly costume for her and they win ?

I think it's a very good program. THey just made a few mistakes at TEB. They'll do a lot better this time. I don't think it's boring at all.

bellafurr

On the Ice
I don't think they have been in that many compositions against each other, D & S are 10 years older

RDiva

Rinkside
Well based on their first GP events the FD big time. However Delboel/
Schoenfeldner have had time since their first GP event to improve their weak showing in the FD at their first GP event. I like both teams alot BTW.

I was speaking about a competition where both teams have skated??? I don't think there ever was such one with V/M over Del/S, but i may be wrong :biggrin:

Bellafur, you're right,probably the only competition they were both competing was last year Worlds- the points difference between the two was 11.25 in favour of the French...so if this is not answering the question....

Last edited:

bellafurr

On the Ice
V & M were just up from juniors last year. I think they have competed twice, of course they arn, going to come ahead of D & S in the C.D.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
wow, yea, I totally forgot that this is V/M's only 2nd season on the senior grand prix

hi everyone, so I just saw D and S's freedance again, and I found a lot of cool (and not-so-cool) things I haven't seen before. For instance, wow, did you see their hand motions? That I think's in reference to the deaf character in the movie (have you guys ever seen the Piano with Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin? That's where they got the music) and how she and her lover speak in sign language.... And I think their transitions are quite nice too. Their FD is one of the few that I feel like every element kind of blends in harmony and tell a story, as opposed to a mix of required elements put together in random order (it's like check, there goes the twizzles. check their's a lift...)..As for the bad stuff, well, they are a bit slower than V and M for sure, and they are not as in unison. It could be that it's just early on in the season becuase last year's Bonnie and Clyde I remember was much sharper...Also I think generally north American skaters are better trained and more conservative, but Euorpeans are more of risktakers...(remember how Anissina and Peirzirat made lots of mistakes even while winning championships...) I don't know, this FD had a lot mistakes when it was done at TEB. I just hope they have improved in their speed and unison since!

all that

Final Flight
I know the D/S FD is good, but it puts me to sleep everytime I watch it. The Piano was quite an intense movie -- but I'm not feeling any of that here. And her costume isn't doing her any favors.

Last edited:

bibi

On the Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibi View Post
That's only the first dance...
Ok then, can you tell me at least 1 competition when V/M were ahead of Del/S?? I know it is very hard to be objective when fan, but still give it a try plz

That isn't what I said, I like both teams but I just said the competition isn't over yet and we'll only see if V/M can be ahead of D/S when it'll be over.

SC 2007: V/M : 197.07 (they got 36.25 for the compulsory dance)
TEB 2007: D/S : 194.14 (they got 39.51 for the compulsory dance)
And this is totally objective...I know that this is not the same competition but anyway...

Good luck for both teams!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I like both teams. D/S are one of the only teams that I've accually watched regularly in ice dance because their programs are so interesting. Overall I think that V/M are the better team. They have better speed, edges and line. D/S on the other hand have much better chorography this year for their FD (I havn't seen their OD yet, but I'm not crazy about V/M's) Yes D/S's compulsery scores have been higher than V/M, but they take time and improve with experience and D/S by no means are bad skater. I do hope that D/S medal at worlds this year, they deserve it.