If You Became a Fan During [insert system]... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If You Became a Fan During [insert system]...

Cori

Rinkside
I became a fan one year before Cop was introduced so although I knew the 6.0 system I am more familiar with the CoP.

peg

Medalist
I started watching figure skating in the mid-80s (partly because one of my classmates in a college course was a national team member). But for quite some time I only really watched Nationals and Worlds, and mostly watched to cheer for my country's skaters. I found a lot of the programs boring aside from the jumps, (really, at that point I watched mostly for the jumps, with very few exceptions). And the scoring system made no sense to me; I thought the whole ordinal thing was the most idiotic approach ever, and it seemed like the commentators never understood the scoring either. From a casual fan perspective, it didn't seem to matter what a skater did on the ice; the judges just gave them whatever marks they wanted to. Pretty much every time I watched figure skating, I griped about the stupidity of that system :laugh: But really, it kept me from fully enjoying the sport and from caring about most of the skaters.

Then came CoP, and the programs started to become more interesting to watch; there was more than just jumps to keep my interest. And the scoring made far more sense. At least for the TES, you knew where those marks came from, even if you didn't entirely agree with the GOE. Because the programs were more interesting and the scores made more sense, I started following skating more closely and paying attention to the skill and performance of other skaters, not just those from my own country. I started to pay more attention to aspects other than just the jumps, and began to appreciate the spins and in-between skating far more. And I started following smaller competitions. Then I started lurking on a figure skating forum ;). And after a few years of lurking I even started posting on a figure skating forum :shocked:

So I guess you could say that CoP made me go from a nationalistic casual fan to being a fairly avid fan of figure skating and figure skaters in general. (Though of course I still have my favorites, and often I have a soft spot for those from my country).

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I became a fan since that one day I laid my eyes on Yuna at NBC broadcast of 2009 worlds, I switched my TV and it was half way though Yuna's LP and I was hooked and obsessed.
And then I started to learn every thing about figure skating, including practice figure skating myself. Besides the rules about skills of figure skating itself, I also learned a lot about music, choreography, music/video editing, costume design, dance/theater/performing art in general and politics :biggrin:. All started from that day I saw Yuna :eek::
Now, Yuna retired, but I am still a huge figure skating fan. I will try to watch as many as I can manage.

luvsasha

Final Flight
I became a fan during the transition period between 6.0 and CoP. I think it was being tested on the Grand Prix then, but a lot of competitions still used 6.0. The first competition I remember watching was 2003 Skate America (I think) and being amazed at Sasha Cohen. I've been watching ever since.

I found CoP a lot easier to understand than 6.0.