If you could create a new event.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If you could create a new event....

Thank you, great topic! I've actually been thinking a lot about wanting to see skating go pro, and would love to see the ISU create a professional skating competition association.

There used to be many respectable professional competitions, although some were on the cheesy side. The most prestigious and successful were the World Pro competitions (aka the Landover competitions) organized by Dick Button.

The ISU, early in the reign of president Ottavio Cinquanta, is blamed for killing pro competitions in a big power grab. Cinquanta's vision was to use the ISU's control over all amateur and Olympic skaters to drive any rivals out of business. In this he was largely successful. :(

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
If I had a billion dollars I would start and sponsor annual "Golden Cup", ladies only.

1. Time either 2 weeks before the worlds or 2 weeks after the worlds, no competition in the Olympics year.
2. Every junior and senior skater in the world who has SB of 150 and higher including certified local events can participate.
3. Those who are in SB 24 (combined junior and senior) go to short program competition directly (international results only). Others go to qualifiers.
4. Short program is 6 groups of 6 skaters. 24 skaters go to the free skate
5. Every skater who gets to the free program receives the first prize: 1 kg of gold ($50,000 worth)
6. Top 10 skaters receive 3 kg of gold ($150,000 worth)
7. Bronze receives 5 kg of gold ($250,000 worth)
8. Silver receives 7 kg of gold ($350,000 worth)
9. Gold receives 10 kg of gold ($500,000 worth)

Total prize size $2,850,000

It will be the only competition where all the best ladies will compete with each other for the money which is still much lower than in tennis but much biggere than any other figure skating competition can offer.

I support this idea, if only to see the medallists hauling around a bag of gold doubloons during the victory ceremony and trying not to trip on the way down 😄

I am absolutely 100% on board with this idea! Brilliant!

Would love to see the winners having kilos worth of gold dumped in their arms like Pirates after a successful raid.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I’d like to see colleges and universities establish figure skating teams that could compete on the intercollegiate level. In this way skaters who never achieved elite level status—as well as those who were competitive, but whose elite careers were cut short due to injury, outgrowing a partner, lack of funding, whatever—could still pursue the sport they love, while getting an education. If offered by a high enough level university, athletes on these teams might even be eligible for scholarships.

I believe that some colleges and universities do field synchro teams, but there should be more of them and teams should also include opportunities for singles and pair skaters, as well as ice dancers.

This definitely already exists. It's just not televised :)

lappo

Final Flight
A "Battle of the sexes" kind of event (with huge prize money for the winning team!). Skaters present their LP with the same multiplier for both men and women; teams are composed with 5 members from different nations who have quads and/or triple axels in their programs; the winning team should be determined by the highest combined score from all programs.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I rather like the Team event at the YOG where teams consisting of 4 disciplines (1 singles lady, 1 singles man, 1 couple pairs and 1 couple Dance) each but from different countries compete with other similarly mixed country teams. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that at the end of each Worlds Championships. Perhaps between the first 8 of every discipline and then mixed up together.

Manitou

Medalist
I'd like to see an absolute best of the best competition. 24 or so skaters from each discipline picked from that season's best list, no matter the age or nationality. A real treat for those who follow figure skating more closely.

Also, more of a show idea, but it would be fun to see skaters 'switch' their program music. 2-3 weeks before the event skaters could be notified whose music they got and prepare their version of it.

I would love to see that too, but it would have to be really serious, like the final and most prestigious event of the year, with big prizes and recognition. A Wimbledon of figure skating.
I would see the World Championship this way, rather than the heavily constrained format it is now. The skaters earn their spots themselves for the entire season, then finally they compete in the final event without any kind of restrictions. For prestige, history and money.

A "Battle of the sexes" kind of event (with huge prize money for the winning team!). Skaters present their LP with the same multiplier for both men and women; teams are composed with 5 members from different nations who have quads and/or triple axels in their programs; the winning team should be determined by the highest combined score from all programs.

They used to have events like that in the pros. I remember one time it turned out to be a tie (this was 6.0 scoring). They had a jump off for the tie-breaker. Kristi Yamaguchi did a double Axel for the ladies; then Brian Boitano did a triple Axel for the men and the men won. :)

They also used to have, in America, a pro team event called USA Versus the World. USA always won. But one year Philippe Candoloro and Surya Bonaly put on such a show for the World Team that they just had to give it to the World. :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
they also used to have, in america, a pro team event called usa versus the world. Usa always won. But one year philippe candoloro and surya bonaly put on such a show for the world team that they just had to give it to the world. :laugh:

Ice Wars

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
How about a "biathlon" kind of event, a competition between teams of 1 lady, 1 man each. First the ladies perform a singles' program, then the men, then they perform together as a pair. The highest total of the three scores wins.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There used to be many respectable professional competitions, although some were on the cheesy side. The most prestigious and successful were the World Pro competitions (aka the Landover competitions) organized by Dick Button.

The ISU, early in the reign of president Ottavio Cinquanta, is blamed for killing pro competitions in a big power grab. Cinquanta's vision was to use the ISU's control over all amateur and Olympic skaters to drive any rivals out of business. In this he was largely successful. :(

That is really sad for the ISU to want to keep the sport at the amateur level forever. Isn't that a lot like an overprotective parent refusing to allow their child to grow up; wanting the child to be forever under their complete and dominant control?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We already have a competition where men and women compete against each other, and if I were Queen of the Universe, I’d use a million dollars to attract skaters and promote it:
Peggy Fleming Trophy.

For the skill, athleticism and technical superiority needed to skate an artistic program properly incorporating jumps and skating skills. (The rules were a little convoluted to me, rules always are :))

And I would forbid the revolutions in the air PCS bonus.:biggrin:

Personally, I find jump offs :bed: but not everyone is me. There is also the Aerial Challenge the same time as Peggy Flemming, throw them some money too ;)

I also love the team competitions. But I would like Team Everyone Else, so small feds can compete:thumbsup: