IFS poll of favorite skaters | Golden Skate

IFS poll of favorite skaters

The December issue of International Fgure Skating gives the winners of the "IFS Academy" readers' popuarity poll in various categories.

Top three all-time favorite Olymopic medalists: Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dorothy Hamill.

Top three all-time favorite Olympic male medalists: Scott Hamilton, Alexei Yagudin, Brian Boitano.

All-time favorite Olympic pairs medalists: Gordeeva and Grinkov.

All-time favorite Olympic dance medalists: Torville and Dean.

Best men's performance in competition for the 2004-200 season: Johnny Weir.

Best ladies performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Michelle Kwan.

Best pairs performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Shen and Zhao.

Best dance performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Belbin and Agosto.

Top figure skating broadcaster: ABC, 2005 U.S. campionship.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Interesting....I'm kind of wondering exactly WHAT Michelle performance won that "Best performance 2004-2005 season"? Hmmmm....

Kasey said:
Interesting....I'm kind of wondering exactly WHAT Michelle performance won that "Best performance 2004-2005 season"? Hmmmm....
It must have been her skate at Campbells to open the season, LOL.

I guess the voters weren't watching Irina's LP at Worlds.

MM

Jhar55

Medalist
Sorry, but Michelle hasn't had a great program in a few years. I do agree with being a favorite skater but not her program.
Speaking of programs since she and Irina are skating to the same music, while Michelle is out with "ingury" maybe she needs to scratch her long program and pick something new, or pull out one of her great oldies from the closet.

Kwantessence

Rinkside
Jhar55 said:
Sorry, but Michelle hasn't had a great program in a few years. I do agree with being a favorite skater but not her program.
Speaking of programs since she and Irina are skating to the same music, while Michelle is out with "ingury" maybe she needs to scratch her long program and pick something new, or pull out one of her great oldies from the closet.

I would think that Michelle's Spartacus sp at Nationals, more than qualify for best performance of the 2004/2005 season. You have to consider the fact that some fans are more impressed with the effortless blend of exquisite skating technique, technical elements and artistic talents, not to mention the passion with which Michelle skated that sp. :love:

In my humble opinion, Michelle has the skills to outperform any skater, including Irina. The overall impact of the sp will be affected by the orchestration version that Tarasova chose for Michelle, although it's hard to imagine that they would choose a more bombastic, ear-splitting version than Irina's.

Kwantessence said:
I would think that Michelle's Spartacus sp at Nationals, more than qualify for best performance of the 2004/2005 season. You have to consider the fact that some fans are more impressed with the effortless blend of exquisite skating technique, technical elements and artistic talents, not to mention the passion with which Michelle skated that sp. :love:
I think you might be right about that, Kwantessence. The voters might well have been basing their opinions primaritly on U.S. Nationals. Even her Bolero at nationals was OK, although not quite the barn-burner of Tosca and Aranjuez the previous two years.

The voters seem to be mostly U.S. fans who read International Figure Skating magazine. Since there was practically no TV coverage of skating last year, I'll bet U.S. Nationals was the basis of quite a few votes.

Worlds, shown on ESPN, only reached about a quarter of the audience that the ABC coverage of U.S. nationals did. So a lot of voters probably did not get a chance to see Irina's marvellous LP in Moscow.

Mathman :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
The December issue of International Fgure Skating gives the winners of the "IFS Academy" readers' popuarity poll in various categories.

Top three all-time favorite Olymopic medalists: Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dorothy Hamill.

Top three all-time favorite Olympic male medalists: Scott Hamilton, Alexei Yagudin, Brian Boitano.

All-time favorite Olympic pairs medalists: Gordeeva and Grinkov.

All-time favorite Olympic dance medalists: Torville and Dean.

Best men's performance in competition for the 2004-200 season: Johnny Weir.

Best ladies performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Michelle Kwan.

Best pairs performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Shen and Zhao.

Best dance performance in competition for the 2004-2005 season: Belbin and Agosto.

Top figure skating broadcaster: ABC, 2005 U.S. campionship.

Well, I think we now know who's winning that December Marshall's thingy now. :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
When even a hopeless commentator at a DOG show on Fox Sports Network mentions Michelle Kwan when a Chihuahua does a little loop on the end of his lead, it just shows that Michelle IS figure skating to many people.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Whoever said Kwan should drop her LP and pull out an oldie, I highly disagree - I hate when skaters do that! I like to see new material. If she has the same music as Irina, that's great - it will be like the battle of the Carmens in 88.