Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Injuries and the 2021-2022 Olympic Season

Ella339

On the Ice
Also, just came across this: Reddit has a slightly longer video of what happened. She managed to get herself up pretty quickly. Those girls are truly made of something else...
I hope she takes as much time as she needs to recover now, and has a lot of support and love around her.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More detail about Daria's injury. There is indeed a fracture:

ETA: and if you click on OP's original tweet, you'll find even more details.

This sounds terrible. I hope and pray it isn’t career ending.

Amei

Record Breaker
Also, just came across this: Reddit has a slightly longer video of what happened. She managed to get herself up pretty quickly. Those girls are truly made of something else...
I hope she takes as much time as she needs to recover now, and has a lot of support and love around her.

Major thumbs down to the camera crews of NHK, once it was obvious she was badly injured, there was no reason (or at least a reason with any sense of decorum) to keep the camera focused on her and then to have a camera following to get a shot of the coach picking her up to get her backstage.

They could have easily fixated the cameras on the remaining skaters on the ice and made a statement that she was able to leave the ice, would be attended by medical professionals and once they had an update on her condition they would make a statement.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This sounds terrible. I hope and pray it isn’t career ending.

Nathan had an avulsion fracture of the hip in 2017. I believe this was the injury he sustained while jumping a quad at a gala.

He was out for the rest of the year (not much left), and had surgery, but clearly it was not career ending. :) If you google, there is quite a bit of medical literature on young athletes who engage in force sustaining this injury.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan had an avulsion fracture of the hip in 2017. I believe this was the injury he sustained while jumping a quad at a gala.

He was out for the rest of the year (not much left), and had surgery, but clearly it was not career ending. :) If you google, there is quite a bit of medical literature on young athletes who engage in force sustaining this injury.
That’s great news. Thank you!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I feel so bad for Daria and to see her pain. I hope she gets proper care and comes back stronger. I know some people said she didn't have much of a chance to make the olympic team - but if she skated for almost any other nation she would hav had a shot. The presure these girls are under. But with all the injuries Anna, Aliona, Sasha and illness??? To Liza (Mishn's camp needs better rules on masking - he flagrantl seems to break rules when y ou see him at competition and he should be more careful as he is more elderlyy. I know injuries make it a sport so to speak but these injuries are really affecting the results. I assume Daria is out for the year? Maybe Evgenia and Alina should start training??? I hope this is not a result of overtraining or improper training due to the difficulty it is to make the Russian team.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Major thumbs down to the camera crews of NHK, once it was obvious she was badly injured, there was no reason (or at least a reason with any sense of decorum) to keep the camera focused on her and then to have a camera following to get a shot of the coach picking her up to get her backstage.

They could have easily fixated the cameras on the remaining skaters on the ice and made a statement that she was able to leave the ice, would be attended by medical professionals and once they had an update on her condition they would make a statement.
I don't see the problem with what they did. Whatever was happening in the public area is news and fair to cover.

rinkside_user

On the Ice

I understand your point and your humane and compassionate approach is definitely commendable - but I strongly disagree here. Knowing the training camp she's in, the way skaters are treated there on a daily basis and how much the club tries to cover up their abuse (let's face it, it's abuse), public attention can definitely be a tool to expose those mistreatments and, in turn, protect the skaters partially. (No, it's not the task of media to protect underage skaters from abusive coaches but given the circumstances, it is at least a tool.) If it were up to them, a severely broken foot would be no injury to talk about either - this way at least the public has video evidence of what was happening and how she was treated.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It was 2016.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't think the broadcaster did anything untoward in showing what happened. I believe it also is general practice to do so - when there have been collisons or the like in warm-up, for example. Cutting away and covering it up just fuels speculation anyway.

Regardless, I felt so sad for Daria when it happened, and I hope she will be able to fully recover in time, heal and she takes comfort in the support and love that people feel for her.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand your point and your humane and compassionate approach is definitely commendable - but I strongly disagree here. Knowing the training camp she's in, the way skaters are treated there on a daily basis and how much the club tries to cover up their abuse (let's face it, it's abuse), public attention can definitely be a tool to expose those mistreatments and, in turn, protect the skaters partially. (No, it's not the task of media to protect underage skaters from abusive coaches but given the circumstances, it is at least a tool.) If it were up to them, a severely broken foot would be no injury to talk about either - this way at least the public has video evidence of what was happening and how she was treated.

Let's not turn or derail this into another thread of speculated "abuse" - which in of itself, is a very broad term.

The fact of the matter is that she fell. She got hurt. She certainly isn't the first and absolutely won't be the last. As horrible as that was, she was a headliner, so of course the TV crews are going to want to get every detail. Remember Kerri Strug?

Let's just stay on topic "Injuries and the Olympic" season ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't see the problem with what they did. Whatever was happening in the public area is news and fair to cover.
I guess it is public but what is fair? As a victim of a crime I am not sure it was fair or appropriate to air it on tv just because it was public and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. People changing and getting naked during triathalons is that somethign we eneed to see or having to urinate or defecate? I am not trying to be combative but I think there is a fine line and to give people time to deal with their grieving or in this case pain is understandable.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
crime I am not sure it was fair or appropriate to air it on tv just because it was public and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. People changing and getting naked during triathalons is that somethign we eneed to see or having to urinate or defecate? I am not trying to be combative but I think there is a fine
You might as well say that they shouldn't air people crying in the kiss and cry. What is unfair about showing an injured skater? They agree to appear on television when they agree to appear at an event. Are you saying they would have treated the situation differently if it were Sakamoto or Kawabe in the same position?

Not showing people defecating or vomiting during a race is intended as a courtesy to the viewing audience, not the athlete. I imagine most people watching wanted to know what was happening to her, and nothing indecent was shown.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jackie retweeted something to the effect, that of course I now can’t locate, that Chelsea and Danny are feeling fine/good.