Isabeau Levito | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Isabeau Levito

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
https://fs-gossips.com/isabeau-work...w-with-levito-and-her-coach-yulia-kuznetsova/

Let’s not talk about figure skating first. You’re in your first senior season, and there are competitions after competitions. What about school?

Isabeau Levito:
I myself still do not understand how I manage to do everything, or whether I manage to do it at all. To be honest, it is impossible to fully combine school and sports at this level, but on the other hand, other athletes manage somehow. I bow to such athletes. It’s hard for me; it’s like having two jobs at the same time. I give all my strength on the ice. So it is sad to understand that the study is on a residual basis. So it’s a struggle every day. All the time, you have to choose what is a priority, and most often, it is a skating rink, not studying.

I study online; I don’t go to a regular school. It’s much more efficient that way. I do my home tasks between workouts. And only on those days when everything went well on the ice, without stress. So on weekends, a mountain of studying accumulates. I’m fortunate in that I’m a morning person; I get up at 6:30 a.m., and Sunday morning is my primary study time.

All your coaches are from Russia, do you understand Russian?

Isabeau Levito:
A couple of years ago, I even started learning it. And then I realized that I couldn’t cope with two foreign languages at the same time: my mother is Italian, so half of the family speaks Italian. And my italiano is still far from perfect. I understand everything, but I can’t answer normally because I don’t have enough vocabulary. And as you understand, this is a matter of family honor for me, haha. So in about a year I will fully master Italian, and then I will take up Russian again.

But you know, I’ve made good progress with Russian—Duolingo assures me that I have mastered 25% of the words from the Russian course.

Can you say something in Russian during training?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
She knows “davai-davai” (come on, come on), “horosho” (good), and “molodets” (well done).

Isabeau Levito: (interrupts): I know more! For example (speaks Russian): “Horses eat apples,” “girls eat eggs.” So, if I get lost in Russia, I can handle it. “I want water,” “I’m tired,” “I want to sleep,” “I want to go to bed.” Well, apples and eggs—I’ll survive somehow.

You haven’t been to Russia yet, right?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
This is not very easy; Isabeau needs a visa. We were going to come two years ago, but then COVID started, and now all this… We intended to train with my good friends in the Evgeni Rukavitsin group, where Nastya Gubanova also trains.Unfortunately, it is not yet possible.

Have you been to Italy?

Isabeau Levito:
Yes, once, when I was very small, and also last summer. I love Italy! It was a great trip to see a family that I so rarely see. This, in fact, was my first trip that had nothing to do with competitions. So I rested and enjoyed life.

And Italian food? Did you like it?

Isabeau Levito:
This is my favorite cuisine; I can easily eat only it, even though I am quite picky about food. So I’m doubly happy that this year’s Grand Prix Final is taking place in Turin. I did not let down the Italian grandmother, and I qualified there. It’s great to come to a country when you know its language; it’s a completely different feeling.

Ok, have you tried any Russian food?

Isabeau Levito:
No. I know the word “borsch” – that, perhaps, is all my knowledge. Ah, no! Also “kotleta” (cutlet) Julia even taught me how to cook it. I’m not that conservative in food; I just don’t really like to mix certain products. Well, I can’t stand spicy, I can’t add pepper anywhere. But I eat both milk and flour.

Ok, I try not to think about how exactly cheese is made, so of all the cheeses, I only eat mozzarella and grated parmesan for pasta. Well, I’m half Italian, what else can you expect from me.

You are 15 years old. Many skaters at this age soon face growth problems. Are you afraid of puberty?

Isabeau Levito:
No. It seems to me that if I take care of myself and do everything slowly—well, relatively speaking, if I smear the butter on a sandwich with a thin layer, not putting a big piece on it—then I will be fine. I don’t know if this allegory is clear. Of course, no one knows for sure, but it doesn’t bother me much yet. I think I got lucky genetically. Well, I also train a little…

But are you set for a long life in sports? For example, Alysa Liu immediately announced that she was not chasing medals and quit the sport quickly.

Isabeau Levito:
I’m a different person. I don’t think, “Ok, I’ll skate for so many more days.” My career in professional sports is just beginning; we’ll see.

Is there something special about working with Russian coaches?

Isabeau Levito:
I really like that they care. They pay attention to everything. It can be seen that they take everything to heart, react emotionally, and give 100%. I like how they support me; I always feel their shoulder.

(At that moment, Yulia Kuznetsova read on the news that Tuktamysheva had won the Grand Prix stage in Moscow)

Yulia Kuznetsova: She won, she won! Bypassed even Sofia Akatieva! No, no questions to Sonya – she is incredible, Eteri is an excellent coach, the best in the world. But this is such a result! We are so happy for Liza, there are no words.

Isabeau, do you know the new Russian girls? Do you follow your competitors?

Isabeau Levito:
This may appear strange, but no. I really don’t have enough time for this. And then, there are so many of them! In general, I realized that I almost never watch figure skating. I only follow the programs of those skaters that I like, and that’s all. It’s like your favorite show on Netflix—you just sit and watch it over and over again.

You started figure skating at the age of 3. Do you remember who inspired you then, among the athletes?

Isabeau Levito:
Not really. The first figure skater who amazed me was Evgenia Medvedeva. I was probably about ten years old at the time, and I recall going to the skating rink and watching her performance on my mother’s phone.

Did her Olympic silver medal upset you?

Isabeau Levito:
Yes, probably. I recently rewatched those Olympic programs. You know, Alina Zagitova did everything technically superbly. I look at these skates and think, “Wow, it’s incredibly difficult.” But my heart was always with Evgenia.

Alina was 15 then, as you are now, but Medvedeva’s story is closer to you anyway …

Isabeau Levito:
Evgenia felt what she was skating. There are people who live in music, and their movements on the ice are connected with this. It is impossible to express in words, but I heard Medvedeva in her performance, she seemed to have taken me to her on the ice.

I admire the way she pulled herself together then and made all the jumps, not forgetting about the story in the program. It was perfection, though no one ever achieves the ideal.So she is a real inspiration for me. I realized then that I want to skate the same, and I will try to achieve this.

Yulia Kuznetsova: She will always be an idol and a figure skating icon.

Isabeau Levito: A few years ago, my mother even bought me the same napkin holder as Evgenia’s, knowing how much it would please me.

This is your first senior season; how ambitious are the plans?

Isabeau Levito:
My goal is to get better and stronger with every competition. It is important for me to understand after the performances that I took a step forward, that I gave myself to the audience, and that I became better in some ways. It doesn’t have to be huge progress every time. But inside, I have to feel like I’m moving forward.

Last year you worked on a quad toe loop, and there was talk of a triple axel. But then an injury forced you to withdraw from the Junior Grand Prix Final. How are things going with these elements now?

Isabeau Levito:
There were certain growth problems, but now everything seems to be over. I’m not rushing, and I’m not chasing quads. I hope that sooner or later I will jump them. But I don’t want to rush; I don’t want to race.

And then I have something to work on even without quads. It is important for me to focus on the presentation of programs; I am not competing in juniors anymore and I must show adult, meaningful skating. And from the difficult one, for now, I will jump a combination with a loop. I love it; I can’t imagine a program without it.

Yulia, Evgeni Platov often works with you (two-time Olympic champion in ice dance together with Oksana Grischuk – Sports.ru), what does this give Isabeau?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Yes, he visited us twice this summer. It’s great that he – with his vast experience – is helping us. He teaches us, first of all, how to skate under pressure and how not to lose the program. And, of course, the skating skills, gliding – Platov is an incredible master in this.

If we’re talking about Russian coaches, there;’ a photo of Isabeau and Oleg Protopopov (two-time Olympic champions in pairs with Lyudmila Belousova).How did they meet?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Oh, I still have this photo on my phone. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life!

Isabeau came to the qualifying competitions before the Nationals, when she was still small. We warmed up at the rink, and Protopopov was training there. Isabeau herself, of course, did not know who he was. But when I saw him, I realized: we must take a picture together, no matter what it costs me. He’s a legend!

Of course, he did not refuse to take a photo and asked Isabeau who she was and what she was doing here. And our girl answered, “I came to win these competitions.” Then I showed Isabeau all his programs and explained what kind of man was standing with her in the photo.

As a coach, can you tell what is special about your student? Why is she winning?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
She is a very persistent person, a real fighter; she has such a core inside her that it’s impossible to describe. At the same time, she can be capricious, of course—well, she’s a girl; you can’t do without it.

On the contrary, usually coaches say that girls at this age are obedient, there are fewer problems with them than with boys …

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Well, this is in Russia: girls have high competition, so they know how to clench their teeth and hold on. American girls are a little different and work in different conditions.

Yes, when Isabeau is tired, she can both complain and disagree with something. But then we sit down with her and talk: “Why do you need all this?” Why are you here?” She perfectly understands that figure skating is her ticket to life.

She does not come from a wealthy family; she has no guarantees; she must work to provide for her future. That is, I don’t need to motivate and persuade her. Sometimes you need to remind her of how much she has already accomplished and how high she has climbed. The main thing is not to give up; it will be a shame to lose all this. Yes, it’s hard now, but then it will be easier. Remember that not everyone is as lucky as you.

She is not alone, the ice rink is her second home. Her coaches are, one might say, the second parents. I probably know her better than her own mother. And it’s the same with music for programs: I just know what will suit her. Last year, I brought her music for the free program for the next season – a melody from the Russian movie “My Sweet and Gentle Beast”. And her eyes lit up: “Oh, I like it so much, is that really for me? Thanks a lot!” Well, if you like it, wear it.

At the same time, Isabeau’s brain is very mature, grasping, and smart, but she knows very little about life. In America, they grow up later than in Russia, I think. The conditions are more like a greenhouse—mother brought and took from the skating rink; there is no need to fight for a place in the subway car; the coach will take care of everything. Yes, she works hard. I’m a very demanding coach, and right in the Russian tradition, I want a lot from her.

But the result is also Russian, right?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Well, not quite yet; we want more.

Does the suspension of Russian athletes help or hinder you and Isabeau?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
This is a loss for us. Progress stops, you know? This year, 3-2 combinations are jumping at the Grand Prix stages, and, as you can see, we are no longer forcing either the triple axel or the quads. In the previous season, we went very hard towards them, and now we understand that we can work on other aspects. At the Junior World Championships, Isabeau had a lutz-loop in the second half of the program, and now there is a lutz-toe loop. Because it’s enough, you know?

Of course, I’m not very happy with this, but I have to play by the rules we have now. Therefore, for me as a coach, this is a loss because I love ambitious goals.

And now the main thing for us is skating, speed, and presentation. Components. We went to Skate America, and Isabeau saw how Amber Glenn skated and how Kaori Sakamoto communicates with the audience during her performance. And Russian girls are generally the locomotives of figure skating. We still follow them, watch their performances, and look up to them. These are the world leaders; no matter how you look at it, it’s true. We follow them and do not want to fall behind them.

You have been working with Isabeau since she was three years old. Is there no fear that she will grow up and leave or that they will lure her?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
If it happens, it will be her choice. I know that I will be in her heart – no matter what happens, I am her second mother. I always say “It’s your life, you decide.” I will support and suggest, but if you say that you are tired and you want to leave, I will understand.

And if they decide to lure her away… Well, I know that she comes to the competitions so promising, so good, and looking like an angel, because we prepared her like that. Let them try to lure her, and they will see that inside she is far from being such an angel.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I know these weren't the skates Isabeau was hoping for here, but I still want to congratulate her on winning the Silver Medal at the GPF.

That is quite the accomplishment for her. It's hard to believe sometimes that she is still 15 and that this is her first season as a Senior.

I look forward to seeing her at US Nationals.

Scott512

Record Breaker
https://fs-gossips.com/isabeau-work...w-with-levito-and-her-coach-yulia-kuznetsova/

Let’s not talk about figure skating first. You’re in your first senior season, and there are competitions after competitions. What about school?

Isabeau Levito:
I myself still do not understand how I manage to do everything, or whether I manage to do it at all. To be honest, it is impossible to fully combine school and sports at this level, but on the other hand, other athletes manage somehow. I bow to such athletes. It’s hard for me; it’s like having two jobs at the same time. I give all my strength on the ice. So it is sad to understand that the study is on a residual basis. So it’s a struggle every day. All the time, you have to choose what is a priority, and most often, it is a skating rink, not studying.

I study online; I don’t go to a regular school. It’s much more efficient that way. I do my home tasks between workouts. And only on those days when everything went well on the ice, without stress. So on weekends, a mountain of studying accumulates. I’m fortunate in that I’m a morning person; I get up at 6:30 a.m., and Sunday morning is my primary study time.

All your coaches are from Russia, do you understand Russian?

Isabeau Levito:
A couple of years ago, I even started learning it. And then I realized that I couldn’t cope with two foreign languages at the same time: my mother is Italian, so half of the family speaks Italian. And my italiano is still far from perfect. I understand everything, but I can’t answer normally because I don’t have enough vocabulary. And as you understand, this is a matter of family honor for me, haha. So in about a year I will fully master Italian, and then I will take up Russian again.

But you know, I’ve made good progress with Russian—Duolingo assures me that I have mastered 25% of the words from the Russian course.

Can you say something in Russian during training?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
She knows “davai-davai” (come on, come on), “horosho” (good), and “molodets” (well done).

Isabeau Levito: (interrupts): I know more! For example (speaks Russian): “Horses eat apples,” “girls eat eggs.” So, if I get lost in Russia, I can handle it. “I want water,” “I’m tired,” “I want to sleep,” “I want to go to bed.” Well, apples and eggs—I’ll survive somehow.

You haven’t been to Russia yet, right?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
This is not very easy; Isabeau needs a visa. We were going to come two years ago, but then COVID started, and now all this… We intended to train with my good friends in the Evgeni Rukavitsin group, where Nastya Gubanova also trains.Unfortunately, it is not yet possible.

Have you been to Italy?

Isabeau Levito:
Yes, once, when I was very small, and also last summer. I love Italy! It was a great trip to see a family that I so rarely see. This, in fact, was my first trip that had nothing to do with competitions. So I rested and enjoyed life.

And Italian food? Did you like it?

Isabeau Levito:
This is my favorite cuisine; I can easily eat only it, even though I am quite picky about food. So I’m doubly happy that this year’s Grand Prix Final is taking place in Turin. I did not let down the Italian grandmother, and I qualified there. It’s great to come to a country when you know its language; it’s a completely different feeling.

Ok, have you tried any Russian food?

Isabeau Levito:
No. I know the word “borsch” – that, perhaps, is all my knowledge. Ah, no! Also “kotleta” (cutlet) Julia even taught me how to cook it. I’m not that conservative in food; I just don’t really like to mix certain products. Well, I can’t stand spicy, I can’t add pepper anywhere. But I eat both milk and flour.

Ok, I try not to think about how exactly cheese is made, so of all the cheeses, I only eat mozzarella and grated parmesan for pasta. Well, I’m half Italian, what else can you expect from me.

You are 15 years old. Many skaters at this age soon face growth problems. Are you afraid of puberty?

Isabeau Levito:
No. It seems to me that if I take care of myself and do everything slowly—well, relatively speaking, if I smear the butter on a sandwich with a thin layer, not putting a big piece on it—then I will be fine. I don’t know if this allegory is clear. Of course, no one knows for sure, but it doesn’t bother me much yet. I think I got lucky genetically. Well, I also train a little…

But are you set for a long life in sports? For example, Alysa Liu immediately announced that she was not chasing medals and quit the sport quickly.

Isabeau Levito:
I’m a different person. I don’t think, “Ok, I’ll skate for so many more days.” My career in professional sports is just beginning; we’ll see.

Is there something special about working with Russian coaches?

Isabeau Levito:
I really like that they care. They pay attention to everything. It can be seen that they take everything to heart, react emotionally, and give 100%. I like how they support me; I always feel their shoulder.

(At that moment, Yulia Kuznetsova read on the news that Tuktamysheva had won the Grand Prix stage in Moscow)

Yulia Kuznetsova: She won, she won! Bypassed even Sofia Akatieva! No, no questions to Sonya – she is incredible, Eteri is an excellent coach, the best in the world. But this is such a result! We are so happy for Liza, there are no words.

Isabeau, do you know the new Russian girls? Do you follow your competitors?

Isabeau Levito:
This may appear strange, but no. I really don’t have enough time for this. And then, there are so many of them! In general, I realized that I almost never watch figure skating. I only follow the programs of those skaters that I like, and that’s all. It’s like your favorite show on Netflix—you just sit and watch it over and over again.

You started figure skating at the age of 3. Do you remember who inspired you then, among the athletes?

Isabeau Levito:
Not really. The first figure skater who amazed me was Evgenia Medvedeva. I was probably about ten years old at the time, and I recall going to the skating rink and watching her performance on my mother’s phone.

Isabeau Levito:
Yes, probably. I recently rewatched those Olympic programs. You know, Alina Zagitova did everything technically superbly. I look at these skates and think, “Wow, it’s incredibly difficult.” But my heart was always with Evgenia.

Alina was 15 then, as you are now, but Medvedeva’s story is closer to you anyway …

Isabeau Levito:
Evgenia felt what she was skating. There are people who live in music, and their movements on the ice are connected with this. It is impossible to express in words, but I heard Medvedeva in her performance, she seemed to have taken me to her on the ice.

I admire the way she pulled herself together then and made all the jumps, not forgetting about the story in the program. It was perfection, though no one ever achieves the ideal.So she is a real inspiration for me. I realized then that I want to skate the same, and I will try to achieve this.

Isabeau Levito: A few years ago, my mother even bought me the same napkin holder as Evgenia’s, knowing how much it would please me.

This is your first senior season; how ambitious are the plans?

Isabeau Levito:
My goal is to get better and stronger with every competition. It is important for me to understand after the performances that I took a step forward, that I gave myself to the audience, and that I became better in some ways. It doesn’t have to be huge progress every time. But inside, I have to feel like I’m moving forward.

Last year you worked on a quad toe loop, and there was talk of a triple axel. But then an injury forced you to withdraw from the Junior Grand Prix Final. How are things going with these elements now?

Isabeau Levito:
There were certain growth problems, but now everything seems to be over. I’m not rushing, and I’m not chasing quads. I hope that sooner or later I will jump them. But I don’t want to rush; I don’t want to race.

And then I have something to work on even without quads. It is important for me to focus on the presentation of programs; I am not competing in juniors anymore and I must show adult, meaningful skating. And from the difficult one, for now, I will jump a combination with a loop. I love it; I can’t imagine a program without it.

Yulia, Evgeni Platov often works with you (two-time Olympic champion in ice dance together with Oksana Grischuk – Sports.ru), what does this give Isabeau?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Yes, he visited us twice this summer. It’s great that he – with his vast experience – is helping us. He teaches us, first of all, how to skate under pressure and how not to lose the program. And, of course, the skating skills, gliding – Platov is an incredible master in this.

If we’re talking about Russian coaches, there;’ a photo of Isabeau and Oleg Protopopov (two-time Olympic champions in pairs with Lyudmila Belousova).How did they meet?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Oh, I still have this photo on my phone. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life!

Isabeau came to the qualifying competitions before the Nationals, when she was still small. We warmed up at the rink, and Protopopov was training there. Isabeau herself, of course, did not know who he was. But when I saw him, I realized: we must take a picture together, no matter what it costs me. He’s a legend!

Of course, he did not refuse to take a photo and asked Isabeau who she was and what she was doing here. And our girl answered, “I came to win these competitions.” Then I showed Isabeau all his programs and explained what kind of man was standing with her in the photo.

As a coach, can you tell what is special about your student? Why is she winning?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
She is a very persistent person, a real fighter; she has such a core inside her that it’s impossible to describe. At the same time, she can be capricious, of course—well, she’s a girl; you can’t do without it.

On the contrary, usually coaches say that girls at this age are obedient, there are fewer problems with them than with boys …

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Well, this is in Russia: girls have high competition, so they know how to clench their teeth and hold on. American girls are a little different and work in different conditions.

Yes, when Isabeau is tired, she can both complain and disagree with something. But then we sit down with her and talk: “Why do you need all this?” Why are you here?” She perfectly understands that figure skating is her ticket to life.

She does not come from a wealthy family; she has no guarantees; she must work to provide for her future. That is, I don’t need to motivate and persuade her. Sometimes you need to remind her of how much she has already accomplished and how high she has climbed. The main thing is not to give up; it will be a shame to lose all this. Yes, it’s hard now, but then it will be easier. Remember that not everyone is as lucky as you.

She is not alone, the ice rink is her second home. Her coaches are, one might say, the second parents. I probably know her better than her own mother. And it’s the same with music for programs: I just know what will suit her. Last year, I brought her music for the free program for the next season – a melody from the Russian movie “My Sweet and Gentle Beast”. And her eyes lit up: “Oh, I like it so much, is that really for me? Thanks a lot!” Well, if you like it, wear it.

At the same time, Isabeau’s brain is very mature, grasping, and smart, but she knows very little about life. In America, they grow up later than in Russia, I think. The conditions are more like a greenhouse—mother brought and took from the skating rink; there is no need to fight for a place in the subway car; the coach will take care of everything. Yes, she works hard. I’m a very demanding coach, and right in the Russian tradition, I want a lot from her.

But the result is also Russian, right?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
Well, not quite yet; we want more.

Does the suspension of Russian athletes help or hinder you and Isabeau?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
This is a loss for us. Progress stops, you know? This year, 3-2 combinations are jumping at the Grand Prix stages, and, as you can see, we are no longer forcing either the triple axel or the quads. In the previous season, we went very hard towards them, and now we understand that we can work on other aspects. At the Junior World Championships, Isabeau had a lutz-loop in the second half of the program, and now there is a lutz-toe loop. Because it’s enough, you know?

Of course, I’m not very happy with this, but I have to play by the rules we have now. Therefore, for me as a coach, this is a loss because I love ambitious goals.

And now the main thing for us is skating, speed, and presentation. Components. We went to Skate America, and Isabeau saw how Amber Glenn skated and how Kaori Sakamoto communicates with the audience during her performance. And Russian girls are generally the locomotives of figure skating. We still follow them, watch their performances, and look up to them. These are the world leaders; no matter how you look at it, it’s true. We follow them and do not want to fall behind them.

You have been working with Isabeau since she was three years old. Is there no fear that she will grow up and leave or that they will lure her?

Yulia Kuznetsova:
If it happens, it will be her choice. I know that I will be in her heart – no matter what happens, I am her second mother. I always say “It’s your life, you decide.” I will support and suggest, but if you say that you are tired and you want to leave, I will understand.

And if they decide to lure her away… Well, I know that she comes to the competitions so promising, so good, and looking like an angel, because we prepared her like that. Let them try to lure her, and they will see that inside she is far from being such an angel.
What an impressive interview from Yulia and Isa. They give indepth answers and are very direct at the same time.

Also interesting Yulia is friends with one of the top coaches in Saint Petersburg. Hopefully they will do some cross training in the future. Send Isa to Saint Petersburg and Anastasia to Philadelphia.
Neither girl trains with TT like level of competition in practice and that may hurt them.

I'm glad Isabeau makes the podium at every event so far. But it's a shame that if she slumps or misses a couple podium's the media will try to pull her away from her coach of 12 years.

Last edited:

bubblecherry

Final Flight

Isabeau Levito:

Isabeau Levito:

Isabeau Levito:

I love how Isabeau describes being connected to Zhenya’s skating, and I hope she knows she has that same quality that makes people connected to her skating. ❤️

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isabeau Levito: Evgenia felt what she was skating. There are people who live in music, and their movements on the ice are connected with this. It is impossible to express in words, but I heard Medvedeva in her performance, she seemed to have taken me to her on the ice.

:points: :rock: :bsplit:

Wonderful words; she has a wonderful role model, and a marvelous ambition. I'm even more of a fan of Isabeau now that I read these words! :love2:

Scott512

Record Breaker
She nailed that 3Lz-3Lo like it was the easiest thing in the world. I'm so glad she's kept this very difficult combo even though she struggled all season with it. She's a champion in every sense of the word.
It's the most difficult triple triple and it separates her from a lot of the ladies and it helped make Isabeau national champion.
Congrats! Amazing performance by Isa.