ISU Communication 1860 "Ice Dance Requirements for technical rules with ongoing validity" | Golden Skate

ISU Communication 1860 "Ice Dance Requirements for technical rules with ongoing validity"

GF2445

Record Breaker
ISU Communication 1860 "Ice Dance Requirements for technical rules with ongoing validity"

Anyway, here are the rules for Ice Dance now. It looks like the Base Values, GOE's and the factoring for the PCS are going to stay the same so that means that the highest score you can receive in the SD is still 81.00pts and 114.00pts (Last season, the highest was 119.50pts but they took off a lift this season) and 195.00pts being the maximum in Ice Dance.

IMO, If they want to make it easier for us, i wish the maximum score was 200pts (80pts as Maximum for the SD and 120pts as the Maximum for the FD). It would be easier to explain.

Warning: The English in this document isn't great!
http://static.isu.org/media/143529/...l-rules-ongoing-validity-as-of-july1_2014.pdf

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Thanks for the link. :)

If the English isn't good, does that mean it was badly translated from another language?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. :)

If the English isn't good, does that mean it was badly translated from another language?

All ISU communications are written in English.
My issue with the english in this document is that the way in which they structured each sentence is not good. If the ISU is going to release a document about what the rules of Ice Dance are from next season onwards, they need to do it properly or else everyone will be confused.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
All ISU communications are written in English.
My issue with the english in this document is that the way in which they structured each sentence is not good. If the ISU is going to release a document about what the rules of Ice Dance are from next season onwards, they need to do it properly or else everyone will be confused.

True. Ambiguity in language, particularly in a technical document, contract or statute, can lead to lots of confusion and conflict. Which is why so many laws and rules often end up being taken to court to have judge rule on how they should be interpreted!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Cool, Seems like a non event,

What was the reasoning behind eliminating one lift again though?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The Russian teams aren't as good at lifts as the NA teams. :p

I'm not pleased about it, but perhaps it won't make a huge difference. It's still a risk, though. Many people consider ice dance boring because it's basically composed of spins and footwork, and the lifts are one of the only things that make it interesting to some audiences.

Dance doesn't have triple jumps or quads or throws or the huge lifts they do in pairs, so if you take away too many dance lifts, you risk making it less interesting and creative.

uhh

Medalist
I'm not pleased about it, but perhaps it won't make a huge difference. It's still a risk, though. Many people consider ice dance boring because it's basically composed of spins and footwork, and the lifts are one of the only things that make it interesting to some audiences.

Dance doesn't have triple jumps or quads or throws or the huge lifts they do in pairs, so if you take away too many dance lifts, you risk making it less interesting and creative.

Perhaps the thinking is that by taking away a required element, there is more room & time in the program to add interesting & creative choreography. I was originally quite pleased that they had added the option for a choreographic spin instead of the choreographic lift, because I thought it would help to have more varied programs but I noticed this in the document:

Note: Scales of Values of Choreographic Spinning Movement and Choreographic Dance Lift will be published in a subsequent Communication. The Base Value of the Choreographic Dance Spin will be higher than the Base Value of the Choreographic Dance Lift.

So surely everyone will go for the spinning movement instead of the lift?

Matt K

On the Ice
I don't think removing a lift is going to prompt couples to add in more dancing choreography as the ISU had hoped, at least not enough to make a difference. I think they are grasping here.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Perhaps the thinking is that by taking away a required element, there is more room & time in the program to add interesting & creative choreography. I was originally quite pleased that they had added the option for a choreographic spin instead of the choreographic lift, because I thought it would help to have more varied programs but I noticed this in the document:

So surely everyone will go for the spinning movement instead of the lift?

Wow 6 whole additional seconds of footwork. And it will kill combo lifts. But we get another spin (because everyone is going to try to maximize the point differential). Oh boy.The utter shortsighted stupidity of the ISU KNOWS NO BOUNDS!!!

Heading back to the days of Dra-Muh!!! over sport...

Wait til midway through the next quad when the cries of "and this is a sport how?" start again. The more things change...

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
That takes some of the fun away from watching Ice dance. The lifts are like the highlights and many teams know how to blend them in well in their programs. I agree that this is a way to get the Russians back on the top steps of the podiums. Cheating in other words. I thought that 4 lifts was the right number. Remember when teams were going for 7. Much of the fun in Ice dance is being taken away. The people who govern our sport. We need new fair judges who judge what they see. That would be a difficult task though. It is needed though.

elif

Medalist
They didn't mention ''extra features'' for step sequences at all. (toe steps, dance jumps) What is that mean?

GF2445

Record Breaker
That takes some of the fun away from watching Ice dance. The lifts are like the highlights and many teams know how to blend them in well in their programs. I agree that this is a way to get the Russians back on the top steps of the podiums. Cheating in other words. I thought that 4 lifts was the right number. Remember when teams were going for 7. Much of the fun in Ice dance is being taken away. The people who govern our sport. We need new fair judges who judge what they see. That would be a difficult task though. It is needed though.

Wouldnt it be great if they got rid of the dance spin! The dance spin takes between 15-20 seconds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
....to follow on if Cinqunata wants to see a clearer distinction between pairs and dance, get rid of the dance spin because pairs also do combo spins as well.

nimi

Medalist
My ISU English reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking, so could someone more knowledgeable clarify this: is the choreographical spinning movement an actual spin or can it be like that stationary rotational lift in the beginning of G/P's Hitchcock program, just shorter?

uhh

Medalist
My ISU English reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking, so could someone more knowledgeable clarify this: is the choreographical spinning movement an actual spin or can it be like that stationary rotational lift in the beginning of G/P's Hitchcock program, just shorter?

From the April 1st communication:

Choreographic Spinning Movement: spinning movement performed after the required Dance Spin during which both partners performs at least 2 continuous rotations:
- in any hold,
- on one foot or two feet or one partner being elevated without being sustained, or a combination of the three,
- on a common axis which may be moving.

The key part is "elevated without being sustained", which I think means that the partner can't be lifted into a position and held there - they could be lifted up & down but the motion must be continuous. If they were held in one position for too long, it would count as a choreographic dance lift instead.

nimi

Medalist
From the April 1st communication:

The key part is "elevated without being sustained", which I think means that the partner can't be lifted into a position and held there - they could be lifted up & down but the motion must be continuous. If they were held in one position for too long, it would count as a choreographic dance lift instead.
Thanks! To me, the "elevated without being sustained" sounded confusingly like levitation. :p

elif

Medalist
Looks like they changed something about ring/doughnut position in lifts too.:confused:

2013 Rule:
full doughnut/ring: upper body arched back, with one or both feet almost touching the head in a full circle (maximum of half a blade length between head and blade);​

2014 Rule:
full doughnut/ring combined with difficult hold/interaction between partners: upper body arched back, with one or both feet almost touching the head in a full circle (maximum of half a blade length between head and blade);​

I don't know what difficult hold means but Shibutanis and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin looked more difficult to me because of no shoulder balance.

Shbutanis 2013 FD
http://youtu.be/uLxkryl5BaM?t=1m30s
Sinitsina/Zhiganshin 2014 SD
http://youtu.be/WQuEKBDy6jk?t=1m19s

Other examples:

Virtue/Moir FD 2013
http://youtu.be/AicVw3FzAeU?t=4m16s
Virtue/Moir SD 2013
http://youtu.be/t46vJL8ABrs?t=3m12s
Virtue/Moir SD 2014
http://youtu.be/gzUKvQBX8UI?t=3m
Virtue/Moir FD 2014