Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t know if Sasha did a wise move now, but it is her decision. Anyway, I never understood why she left Nicks for Tarasova, because she was the last coach Sasha needed, in my opinion. Sasha already had plenty of artistry and she needed a great jumping coach.

Marjaana

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Smells like a hoax/hack job to me. She doesn't usually make that many grammatical errors in her blurbs.

Kasey

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I KNEW IT

actually, am I the only one who thought Wagner was just a temporary switch to cover for the TT split and thought she'd change coaches again? She's gonna be TOASTED on these forums :rofl:

LOL, I think Robin was Sasha's 'Transition man' (women who have done the 'date them, break up, find another' thing will understand!) Not that I care much for Sasha, but I never thought she would stay with Robin for a whole season. I wonder if Vegas will start taking bets on the timing of her next coaching change? ;)

Kasey

Red Dog said:
If this is true, WOW. Her ENTIRE family moved JUST for her to train in CT and NY. And now because of her they have to move AGAIN to CA. Cohen is so lucky and fortunate to have a family that will accomodate her so easily...I hope she realizes this.Yes, her Poor little sister.

Cohen is so lucky? or is Cohen SPOILED? :yes:

What is this with transition move? Transiting to what? TT suggested she get an American coach and mentioned Robin. Sasha took up on that. There was no mention that it would be transitory. One has to remember that she came closest to winning a World Championship with Robin at her side. If she was using Robin as a temp then why buy the condo in Manhattan? She was very happy at that point. A World silver medalist!

Problem with Sasha is that she falls in her LPs. No coach can be blamed for that. What is she thinking? She's the one skating - not the coach. And her SPs are very good.

Maybe Arutunian will be good for her conistency. That is my prediction - a few lessons with him.

Joe

Kuchana

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Yes, it was me. Now tell me, how right was I in THAT prediction? :biggrin: :rofl: :agree:

Yeah you're right even though I had my own reservations about Sasha staying with Robin as well! :) But I'm hoping you're wrong on your prediction for Irina:p :)

Kuchana

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Maybe Arutunian will be good for her conistency. That is my prediction - a few lessons with him.

Joe

While I admit it would do Sasha good to work with Arutunian, wouldn't it be rather awkward and a no go since he's coaching Michelle? But then, they both use Morozov yet I think this might be a little different.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Joe

But would Michelle stand for that one? Her coach giving tips to her biggest American rival? Somehow, I think even Michelle wouldn't put up with that one!

Kuchana

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
But would Michelle stand for that one? Her coach giving tips to her biggest American rival? Somehow, I think even Michelle wouldn't put up with that one!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I know I wouldn't if I was in her position.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If Sasha is thinking about changing coaches, what about Alexei Mishin?

BTW -- according to some posters on www.sashafans.com, there was a prior incident where someone got into Sasha's site and sent fake e-mails. Anyone remember Brenda40?

euterpe

Medalist
There is no way Sasha would sign on with Arutunian because she wouldn't get enough of his time (Arutunian has a few lower-level students in addition to Michelle). Sasha and Michelle may not be bitter enemies, but they are not particularly friendly, either. Any coach would be ill-advised to try to balance his time between these two.

Sasha would have to be willing to move to Russia in order to train with Mishin. I doubt Mishin would be willing to accept her as a student even if she could make such a move.

BTW, Sasha competed in FIVE Senior international competitions before the 2002 Olympics. After placing 2nd at 2000 Nationals, she received two GP assignments. She was 5th at 2000 Sparkessen (Germany) and 4th at 2000 Cup of Russia. She was 4th at the 2001 Goodwill Games, 5th at 2001 Skate America, and 3rd at 2001 Lalique.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How long before Sarah announces that she is back with Robin?

Linny

Final Flight
Random Thoughts

1) It is common when a minor is the wage earner, for the remainder of the family to make many adjustments to allow that wage earning to continue. Look at young actors and actresses to see a precident.
2) John Nicks was stretched to the limit with Sasha a few years ago. His patience was worn thin and he had other skaters. He's a couple years older... so I'm rather surprised that he would even agree to take her back. At a certain point in your life, many people chill out and back away from the more stressful aspects of their careers. But, what the hey, I'm not in John Nick's head and have no idea what he would be thinking. I just hope he's got a strong constitution.
3) Evan Lysachek trained with Mishin, didn't he? He stayed in Russia for a couple of months, right?
4) Morosav (sp?) works with skaters as a choreographer, doesn't he? That's an entirely different relationship than working them as a coach, am I right? So sharing a choreographer would be, IMO, much more likely than sharing a coach.

Finally:
5) If anyone finds out the truth/hoax to this one, please post it here first!

Linny

Spirit

On the Ice
If it was a hoax, wouldn't there be a new message on Sasha's site saying, "Please disregard that other message, it was a hoax posted by a hacker and we are investigating?"

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen is so lucky? or is Cohen SPOILED?

I was actually going to say that, but decided to back off and settle for "lucky" instead. :sheesh: Yes, I think she's spoiled. :yes: Lucky as well.

BTW, Sasha competed in FIVE Senior international competitions before the 2002 Olympics. After placing 2nd at 2000 Nationals, she received two GP assignments. She was 5th at 2000 Sparkessen (Germany) and 4th at 2000 Cup of Russia. She was 4th at the 2001 Goodwill Games, 5th at 2001 Skate America, and 3rd at 2001 Lalique.

Wow, ok. I wonder why people were saying the Olympics were her first international competition? I guess in a way it's her first TRUE international competition becasue ladies from ALL over the world compete in the olympics, not just a couple.

How long before Sarah announces that she is back with Robin?

What's the deal with this girl? She says she wants to come back into skating, keeping her options over, etc. and opts for show skating. IMO, there's no way she'll be able to come back in time for the upcoming olympics. If she really wants to, she could try for 2010.

The real reasons for the coach switching, us fans over here can only speculate. Now that she (may be) back with Nicks (depending on whether the message was a hoax or not) do you think it was a mistake for her to leave him in the first place? There's something I really don't like about her.

Yes, she seems to be searching for that perfect coach. But she needs to realize that for the head thing, she may be her only coach to that. I don't think she'll be winning anything this year (I hope not!)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
[BMaybe Arutunian will be good for her conistency. That is my prediction - a few lessons with him.

Joe

Where does the idea come from that Arutunian would be good for consistency? I don´t remember Alexander Abt being very consistent.

Marjaana

R.D.

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
If it was a hoax, wouldn't there be a new message on Sasha's site saying, "Please disregard that other message, it was a hoax posted by a hacker and we are investigating?"

Yes. The speculation comes from what we'll hear next from the site. It may take a day or two for a reason to be posted. But the bottom line is, it will HAVE to be explained somehow. Something in the way that message is written though just doesn't sound like something that someone like SC would write. But who knows? Maybe changes are/have been made. Maybe it was posted too soon before they knew for sure.

lavender

Record Breaker
She might be thinking of a couple of weeks of Arutunian coaching before Worlds.

Not going to happen unless he's leaving Michelle. Why would he help Michelle's US rival. That's a quick way of getting fired.

Abt was much better under Arutunian but he's never really been consistent under anyone just like Sasha.

Jhar55

Medalist
I don't see Sasha going to Arutunian like other have said Michelle isn't going to share her coach with Sasha. Unless Arutunian is looking for a way out of coaching Michelle, but I don't think that's the case either. Maybe Sasha should try Scott Williams?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
No, it wasn't. She competed in 2001 internationally. Many have the misconception that the Olympics was her first international competition, but there is the "forgotten" 2001 season. She also competed at The Goodwill Games, which was also international.
She did do well in 4th place at her first Olympics, but lets not forget that Sarah Hughes placed 1st at her first Olympics, and Tara Lipinski and Oksana Bauil also placed 1st at their first Olympics.

It was her first senior international Championship is I think what the original poster meant since she'd never been to worlds or Four Continents before. Fourth on your first try (with the added nerves of it being the Olympics) is a very commendable start, she just didn't really build on it as quickly as others have before her.

A

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

This crossed my mind when someone in FSU mentioned she might waiting for Arakawa's contracting with TT run out then return to TT, I thought on Sasha side taking up RA might cross her mind for her sudden moving back to Cal.

She might get some wind ealy on the season. Waiting for Michelle reitiring so she can take up RA.

Sasha and Michelle's rivalry aside, RA has his own low level skaters, who he happened to think of 'his own'. Up to this day he still refers Michelle as "Frank's girl". He would like to spend more time to bring up 'his own' skater up to the level. He made it very clear right after taking upon MK that he is not going to take any more elite lady skater, only maybe some young male skater. And after Marshalls Michelle returned to Lake ArrowHead trainning with RA right way, if there had been any hope on Sasha side before, now it is out of question.