Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split

Vash01

Medalist
I think it is a good decision for her. It was not working out with Robin, and it had not worked out with Tarasova, but she learned something new from both. Now she can go back to her roots and skate like the way she used to, without the burden of expectations.

I think she will do well at Nationals.

Vash

guinevere

Final Flight
I love how Sasha still calls her new/old coach "Mr. Nicks", but refers to Wagner as "Robin".

Glad that the official announcement has been made, not sure what to think about the switch. Guess we'll see at Nationals...

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
guinevere said:
I love how Sasha still calls her new/old coach "Mr. Nicks", but refers to Wagner as "Robin".

Glad that the official announcement has been made, not sure what to think about the switch. Guess we'll see at Nationals...

John Nicks always insisted all of his skaters call him Mr. Nicks...

R.D.

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=28314&type=news

It's official, as announced on the USFS board. Cohen is back with Nicks 'at least through Nationals'.

I guess that means there will be another announcement after Nationals? That should keep the boards humming!

And I suspect after Nationals, she'll do some more coach hopping :laugh: Chapter Four coming right up.

So the journal entry was not a hoax then. But I could see why they took it off..

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Linny said:
1) It is common when a minor is the wage earner, for the remainder of the family to make many adjustments to allow that wage earning to continue. Look at young actors and actresses to see a precident.
Linny

Sasha's father was a partner at a major California law firm. Even with her impressive earnings, I wouldn't call her "the wage earner" for the family. However, I do agree she's lucky to have a family that is supportive of her career and she seems very close to them. I'm sure they'll make whatever decisions work best for them as a family.

Gardenkitty said:
Sasha's father was a partner at a major California law firm. Even with her impressive earnings, I wouldn't call her "the wage earner" for the family. However, I do agree she's lucky to have a family that is supportive of her career and she seems very close to them. I'm sure they'll make whatever decisions work best for them as a family.
It goes beyond supportive. It is crucial family decisions!! on where to make a home with no regard for the convenience of the father.

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Joesitz said:
It goes beyond supportive. It is crucial family decisions!! on where to make a home with no regard for the convenience of the father.

Joe

Or to her younger sister who has traveled east with the family and attends a boarding school. I don't know if her mother minds all this change for the sake of Sasha, but it must be miserable to be her younger sister - a teenager, changing schools, again, for her "big sister:". I feel for that member of the family the most.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Well you would think that Sasha's family would quit moving around with her. She's 20 now, with scads of well-deserved earnings to support herself.

mzheng

Record Breaker
As I understand, her father never actually moved to NYC. It was only her mother and sister. Aside of all the home, weather, etc. reasoning, may be keeping her Dad good company is one of those.

And I wouldn't call it uproot the whole family again, they have the root in Cal. She and her family would feel immediate home.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
The split

I am not at all surprised by the split. Wagner and Sasha "worked" together for about one year. The first weeks were spent "getting to know each other" and Sasha practicing her version of her TT program for Nationals. Then was the period of totally changing the program for a few weeks before Worlds. Then was touring and her known summer activities this year. This fall was spent getting new programs and working when not injured with Robin. They simply didn't work all that much together for that many competitions. It did not seem like a productive year for her skating. It seems like she tried to make the move out east permanent, but she only went for TT, and that's over, so why stay?

It seemed inevitable she would leave Robin, because it didn't seem to improve her skating to be with Robin. Going back home seems like a teenager who went off to college for a couple of years and then returns home to carry on. It could work out for her if she is comfortable enough to work the way she needs to work to succeed.

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree. Sasha hardly worked with Robin after Worlds. She got new programs from other choreographers and she decided to work for a month by herself after vacation.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Well, I'm a fan of Sasha's, however all the coaching changes... I dunno if that's good or not, but hey, I'm no expert in the subject, so what the hell do I know?

What is that saying? "Even home walls help"? Maybe she really needs this, and if she feels comfortable, maybe it will reflect in her skating. Whatever happens, I wish her the best :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
The timing is bizarre... just before Nationals!

Not so much if you note that 1) the same thing happened last year and 2) She had bad performances at both Marshalls events, and dropped her coaches right after.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Well, at least now people are talking about Sasha and not about Tim Goebel's coaching problems. :yes: Kinda like musical chairs.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's obvious that Sasha thought she could do well with Robin at national and world. But after two cheesefests and by the time the national is getting closer and closer, she realizes she is not ready, and she does not feel that Robin can get her ready this year. Considering the three coaches who have helped her for the past 10 years, she still feel that Jonh Nicks is the best. So she decided to switch back. Hopefully this move can help significantly.
I don't think considering Sasha is another Nicole Bobek is fair. Sasha has 3 coaches for the past 10 years. Nicole had probably 12 coaches in 7years senior competitive skating.