Jackson Debut or Premiere | Golden Skate

Jackson Debut or Premiere

surfdabbler

Spectator
I'm look for new boots. I've been skating as an adult (50yo man) for about 5 years now in Jackson Freestyles, with the stock Aspire XP blade. I'm 180cm/87 kg (190lbs), and skating 3-4 hours a week. I've got mostly my single jumps (lutz is almost there), but not axel. The padding has gone in my freestyles and they are painful on my ankles, but they don't seem broken down yet, only very minor ankle crease. I bought Edea Chorus a few months ago, and they really weren't the right fit (I have wide feet and very high arches), but I've been heat-shaping the Edeas, and finally got the boot to fit my feet, but I still don't feel like there is enough ankle support. I'm lacing them tight all the way up, even though I know this is 'wrong' for edeas, and the boots are still loose on my ankles. It's not about the boot strength - they are just loose. They are very unstable, and I've felt some twinges in my ankles on bad landings. Anyway, long story short, I'm switching back to Jacksons.

My main question - I'm looking at Jackson Debut Fusion vs Premiere. I've tried them both on (both in one size up from what I need), but the Premiere seemed like a really strange fit on my foot, pressing in odd places. Not painful to wear off ice, but strange enough that I worry they will be painful after an hour of skating. The Debut was noticeably more comfortable. However, they are both Jacksons, and should fit the same, right? At this stage, I'd rather go for comfortable, and as my Freestyles didn't break down in 5 years, I figure the Debut is one step up in strength and should still last me a while, right?

The skate shop are getting Debut in my size for me to try, and that will take a week or two.

Do you think I'll be OK with the Debut, or should I really be going for the Premiere?

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
According to Jackson's fit guide (extrapolate their recommendation based on your weight), you should definitely be in Premieres. I weigh the same, and I wear Debuts learning basic skills, no jumps at all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm look for new boots. I've been skating as an adult for about 5 years now in Jackson Freestyles, with the stock Aspire XP blade. I'm 180cm/87 kg (190lbs), and skating 3-4 hours a week. I've got mostly my single jumps (lutz is almost there), but not axel. The padding has gone in my freestyles and they are painful on my ankles, but they don't seem broken down yet, only very minor ankle crease. I bought Edea Chorus a few months ago, and they really weren't the right fit (I have wide feet and very high arches), but I've been heat-shaping the Edeas, and finally got the boot to fit my feet, but I still don't feel like there is enough ankle support. I'm lacing them tight all the way up, even though I know this is 'wrong' for edeas, and the boots are still loose on my ankles. It's not about the boot strength - they are just loose. They are very unstable, and I've felt some twinges in my ankles on bad landings. Anyway, long story short, I'm switching back to Jacksons.

My main question - I'm looking at Jackson Debut Fusion vs Premiere. I've tried them both on (both in one size up from what I need), but the Premiere seemed like a really strange fit on my foot, pressing in odd places. Not painful to wear off ice, but strange enough that I worry they will be painful after an hour of skating. The Debut was noticeably more comfortable. However, they are both Jacksons, and should fit the same, right? At this stage, I'd rather go for comfortable, and as my Freestyles didn't break down in 5 years, I figure the Debut is one step up in strength and should still last me a while, right?

The skate shop are getting Debut in my size for me to try, and that will take a week or two.

Do you think I'll be OK with the Debut, or should I really be going for the Premiere?
with all of the factors you mentioned, I would have never put you in an edea ever, your foot isn't made for them.

That said, you kind of need a hybrid combo of the premiere and the elite 5300, because with everything you mentioned, you need stronger than a 65 rating, but not exactly a 75 like the elite 5300 is. I'm starting to think your best bet would be to talk to Jackson about a semi-custom. Esp. since you have special fitting needs, a stock boot probably will never get the job done for you and comfortably.

I wish you luck, and if you need anything else, my inbox is a click away. :)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've tried them both on (both in one size up from what I need), but the Premiere seemed like a really strange fit on my foot, pressing in odd places. Not painful to wear off ice, but strange enough that I worry they will be painful after an hour of skating.

This is something that could possibly be corrected with heat molding and punch-outs, if you go to a good fitter who is comfortable working on Jackson boots!

I am a little heavier than you, and I wear the Debut myself. They're actually surprisingly stiff for what they're rated - but I'm doing lower level jumps than you (toe and sal, was working on loop pre-COVID). If you're planning to continue progressing to lutz and axel, I would guess you'd need the stiffness of the Premiere at very least.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Were your Freestyles the older leather model, or the newer microfiber ones? Older FS's are completely different boots to what is offered now.

I would agree with Ic3 on the stronger Elite for a longer term solution at your size. Two bonuses to the Elite, it's leather, and it wouldn't have that hideous looking "Duraguard" finish. Downside is it's about $400 more, stock.

Not as recommended, but the Premiere is pretty stiff in it's own right. You can do a Rapid Custom order for not much more ($50 or so) and have them put in the 6000 series tongue which does stiffen them up a bit more. We have a full custom "Premiere" in leather with the 6000 tongue and it's STIFF. Then again, my skater is a 13 year old girl and is barely over 100 lbs. I think for you the Debut is right out with your size and the skills you are working on, and the Premiere is what, $60 more?

Oh, and just so you know the stock Elite is $809, the RC addition is another $50 or so, while a full custom Jackson is $949. The difference is measly in terms of $$$, but it takes time. Ours took 12 weeks. So, as an adult you could spend $500 for a boot that might last you a year or so if you continue to Axel and beyond, or spend another $500 (plus blades) for a likely lifetime boot. I wish we were in that situation. I'll likely be back to the fitter in February to order the next custom boot for my skater.